Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Black History Month

Black History Month

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Black History Month

Originally Posted by Boiler
Is there a Black Country Music Award?

Is there a marketing opportunity here?
Marketing opportunity for who? There's only been 2 black country singers that I know of...the rest of the black population had taste. Well except those that invented (C)rap.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rushman
Marketing opportunity for who? There's only been 2 black country singers that I know of...the rest of the black population had taste. Well except those that invented (C)rap.
Well they could take turns winning it?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
Well they could take turns winning it?
But no one south of the Mason-Dixon or west of the Rockies would even know.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

But no one south of the Mason-Dixon or west of the Rockies would even know.
Which sort of describes my view on all these racially motivated awards.

Just remembered was there not a guy setiing up a Black Expats group?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 11:43 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Right!! So are you saying that if the Oscars and various other music awards had a fair representation of black artists and actors that they would scrap them and just "join in" with the "white" orientated awards?

"Various" music awards??? What like the CMT awards (Country Music television) because that's probably the only mainstream music awards that I can think of were Blacks are not as equally represented as White's.

As for the movie awards...well maybe you have a point there but certainly not in music awards.
It's a culture thing. In the media black people are either the dregs of society or have done well for themselves and are no longer part of that. There is no such thing as a regular black person in the US media, so having awards that celebrate things in black culture is necessary to try to put across some sort of normality - in an ideal world there would be just actors, musicians, etc. but in this country there are actors, musicians, black actors, black musicians, etc. You could argue that some of this is perpetuated by the fact that separate things exist for them but the separation was there before these were in place, but there was no real media recognition for the "black" ones. This country is still very racist (comparatively), so unfortunately things are needed to remind Americans that black people play/have played an important role in the country.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:43 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I have nothing against teaching black history, but feel that it should not be given special status .. as in devoting a whole month to it. I also feel that the way in which it seems to be taught only serves to keep racism alive.
I totally agree, very well put.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Whatever the excuse, you're obviously a FREAK.
But he is OUR freak....
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:54 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

The other 11 months of the year when American kids are taught the White American version of history - like how they helped the American Indians, and all other minorities to achieve a better quality of life.
Exactly. It surprises me (but it shouldn't ) that there are still people in 2006 "walking upright" on two feet with the ability to think for them self, yet act as if God made some collosal mistake in creating African Americans(Blacks world wide),Latinos and Asians .Again another example that there are many who are morally loss and don't value the true teachings of God.Here is my take on Black History month. It would be nice if there were not a need for positive messages & facts which are taught in "Black History Month" . There to remind and to counter act the constant racist barrage from those who hold a racist agenda. Lovely it would be if there were not a need to remind the massive African American community and the rest of the world, of the achivements and contributions made by a people who were slated for servitude and death by the white majority. When you are trying to treat a very sick patient most doctors would prescribe strong medican to fight the illness. So its curious to me why some think it best to allow ignorant myths to circle and be perceived as fact and do nothing to counter those falsehoods. Thinking that Black History Month creates more problems than it solves is like pretending that racist ideology will go away only if we don't talk about it. Naive if you ask me! Well intentioned it may be but silence has never created discussion and debate. In the real world were humans believe that other humans should not live in a house next door to them, due to a fear that a Latino or Black might marry my white daughter or son,strong measures are needed. If my son or daughter are going to marry a different ethnicity ,it could happen despite the ethnic makeup of my neighborhood. If a house goes up or down in value due to a Latino or Black moving in,imo points to another symptom of racism. In my neighborhood which is a nice one there are whites and blacks that live in harmony. Homes have been sold by blacks and were purchase for a price that demonstrated equal or greater profit to that of every other home seller in the community.This applys to our white neighbors as well. Point is racism is created by fear and ignorance and peoples lack of character. So in a world were people are so lacking in morals, we need more months to promote positive messages that remind us all of the truth, and demonstrate that we have more in common than some might want us to believe.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But he is OUR freak....
Are you and Rushman related by blood?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Not blood, but other bodily fluids.... <vomit>
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:40 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Why, does Ray watch NASCAR too? (I thought everyone who watched NASCAR were blood related).
Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Not blood, but other bodily fluids.... <vomit>
Where's the sickbag?! That is a sickening thought (pardon the pun)...
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Why, does Ray watch NASCAR too? (I thought everyone who watched NASCAR were blood related).
Never seen it in my life ... I was a drag racing fan in my younger day..
Now I just race around the lawn on the the tractor mower ..
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:06 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Exactly. It surprises me (but it shouldn't ) that there are still people in 2006 "walking upright" on two feet with the ability to think for them self, yet act as if God made some collosal mistake in creating African Americans(Blacks world wide),Latinos and Asians .Again another .
A very thoughtful first posting and welcome ....

For your second posting how about introducing yourself
with a short Bio...
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
A very thoughtful first posting and welcome ....

For your second posting how about introducing yourself
with a short Bio...
I lost it in the second line.

Paragraphs always help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.