Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Black History Month

Black History Month

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Black History Month

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Yep
Surely not...

I certainly hope North Africans don't take slaves anymore... because we really should do something about that... if it were still happening.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:29 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
And considering how young the country is don't you think they make the kids(elementary school age) learn far too much U.S History..
NO!!!!!! I wish they taught the kids here more "history" instead of that one sided, blame every other f**ker but us, we beat all the odds kind of bullshit they brainwash kids with here. US elematary history IMHO is very inaccurate.

Just one example: The midnight ride of Paul Revere........never bloody happened at least not by Paul Revere anyway.

But then again, who are we mere Brits to argue with the country that found and broke the Nazi inigma machine and code
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by neil
The other 11 months of the year when American kids are taught the White American version of history - like how they helped the American Indians, and all other minorities to achieve a better quality of life.
Seems I'm not alone in my belief
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:41 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Seems I'm not alone in my belief
Absolutely, my wife (who is black incidentally) was clever enough to realise that much of what she was taught was very biased and sometimes not even close to the truth. She had a teacher once who actually refused to teach from the textbook because it was so factually incorrect and was technically racist in what it was trying to say.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

Absolutely, my wife (who is black incidentally) was clever enough to realise that much of what she was taught was very biased and sometimes not even close to the truth. She had a teacher once who actually refused to teach from the textbook because it was so factually incorrect and was technically racist in what it was trying to say.
I cant comment too much on what schools here teach as far as black history is concerned, however if it's anywhere near as inaccurate as the bollocks they teach about the founding fathers and the Revolution then I suppose the slaves swam here from Africa and volunteered their services!!

What they fail to teach kids is the simple fact that the only country in the WORLD to have kept legal slavery longer than the US was Brazil, I believe. Never hear that bandied about too much. As for bashing the British over slavery they need to have a read up on William Wilberforce.

Last edited by rushman; Mar 3rd 2006 at 5:47 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:53 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
Yes, but from the way in which they have taught this subject to my son he feels that the sole reason that slavery ever existed anywhere in the world is due to certain people not being Christians. He was under the impression that the only good people in this world, then and now, are Christians ... and I take issue with that!

I have nothing against teaching black history, but feel that it should not be given special status .. as in devoting a whole month to it. I also feel that the way in which it seems to be taught only serves to keep racism alive.
Then you need to go and talk to your school and/or school district. There have been times when my children have come home with information that was incorrect or misunderstood. But these times have been few and far between and more often than not has been because the schools will only give so much information depending on the age but work on the idea that giving a bit of information and then building on it year after year helps children remember the information better. For example: my eldest is now in 9th grade and is doing Global History again. He covered many of the basic facts in 4th grade and then again in 6th grade it was expanded on and now in 9th grade there is a lot more information.

I know to us it can seem so alien but we haven't been through or seen the racial problems that are part of US history on US soil. Our history just kept the majority of it away from our own shores! And while to us it may seem as though it keeps racism alive the fact that the generation coming up doesn't see racism the same as it was in the past, it is obviously doing some good.

My children have been learning about many different black people and have enjoyed what they have learnt.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:58 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
Then you need to go and talk to your school and/or school district. There have been times when my children have come home with information that was incorrect or misunderstood. But these times have been few and far between and more often than not has been because the schools will only give so much information depending on the age but work on the idea that giving a bit of information and then building on it year after year helps children remember the information better. For example: my eldest is now in 9th grade and is doing Global History again. He covered many of the basic facts in 4th grade and then again in 6th grade it was expanded on and now in 9th grade there is a lot more information.

I know to us it can seem so alien but we haven't been through or seen the racial problems that are part of US history on US soil. Our history just kept the majority of it away from our own shores! And while to us it may seem as though it keeps racism alive the fact that the generation coming up doesn't see racism the same as it was in the past, it is obviously doing some good.

My children have been learning about many different black people and have enjoyed what they have learnt.

As with many of these sorts of thing some areas of the US are years behind others in the way they teach.

EDIT: I also bet a big deal was made of the fact that those "many different black people" were black and not white.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:58 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You have not noticed the correlation between economic status and house prices?

Ask a Realtor, ask several. Or just look around.
What has economic statue got to do with what I said That sounds as though you are stating that as a black or latino family are automatically unable to afford a house here therefore that is the reason why everyone wouldn't want them here?

Long Island, unfortunately, has a natural divide because of the way the island is set up. However, to state that one group of people moving into a neighbourhood would automatically affect the value of homes in that neighbourhood is rediculous.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:59 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

As with many of these sorts of thing some areas of the US are years behind others in the way they teach.
That is true and a real shame because it gives the whole of america a bad name.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:02 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by Ben
What has economic statue got to do with what I said That sounds as though you are stating that as a black or latino family are automatically unable to afford a house here therefore that is the reason why everyone wouldn't want them here?

Long Island, unfortunately, has a natural divide because of the way the island is set up. However, to state that one group of people moving into a neighbourhood would automatically affect the value of homes in that neighbourhood is rediculous.
Again, in certain parts of the US the fact that a coloured person can afford to live there would make some people feel that it is a less desirable area; if there are enough that think that way then it is feasible that the prices in the area could come down.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Again, in certain parts of the US the fact that a coloured person can afford to live there would make some people feel that it is a less desirable area; if there are enough that think that way then it is feasible that the prices in the area could come down.
Oh dear better warn my neighbours to expect a drop in prices around here !!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would usually prefer to blame the French.

For anything.

But where did the Dutch get their supply?
Their colonies I expect.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:07 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by lolly
Oh dear better warn my neighbours to expect a drop in prices around here !!!!
I'm sure there are a lot more places that don't think that way than there are places that do. Our new neighbours have been extremely welcoming so we haven't noticed that sort of attitude at all.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there are a lot more places that don't think that way than there are places that do. Our new neighbours have been extremely welcoming so we haven't noticed that sort of attitude at all.
I know what you mean was just being sarcastic
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:11 pm
Not here much

Originally Posted by lolly
I know what you mean was just being sarcastic
I caught that but felt a need to clarify my post a bit more to make sure noone thought I was racist against Americans (although maybe I am a bit, those backwards, god-loving, NASCAR freaks!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.