Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Big Brother - cameras ? Etc ?

Originally Posted by Ray
Waste of time .. far too small ...

Yep. Partystar, take a weapons course, if you dont want to carry a firearm fair enough, but if you are going to carry a defence tool make sure its an effective one. As one of my old instructors used to say "If you're going hit them make sure you only need to do it the once"
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Manc
I think the judge should look at each application to the sex offenders list on a case by case basis.

The public needs to be informed of dangers to society, not informed of a horny teenager who could wait for his girlfriends birthday.
I couldnt agree more. And thats where the monitoring of the tools comes in.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Every single tool used in modern police work could be considered a blight on civil liberties.
Nope! A policeman using a telephone is not a blight on my civil liberties. A policeman listening to my telephone could well be, however.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Nope.
You dont think monitoring of convicted serious criminals is a good thing? Especially ones that have been convicted of a crime that has a high repeat offending rate?

When recidivism was defined as any reoffence, the rates were: 36.3% overall, for child molesters 36.9% and for rapists 46.2%.

http://www.humanbeing.demon.nl/human...recidivism.htm
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Well said. I'm guessing that everyone would change their tune if it was them that was the victim & the criminal was caught & convicted based on CCTV footage.

Depends how selfish they are being.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

Nope! A policeman using a telephone is not a blight on my civil liberties. A policeman listening to my telephone could well be, however.
How about a policeman using a telephone to inform someone they think they saw you committing a crime?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

This is a mate of mine, all he did was shag his 17 year old girlfriend,
but anyone reading the Michigan sex offenders registry just sees pervert..........

Name: STEWART/ROBERT/STEPHEN/ Sex: M Race: W Dob: 06/10/1984
Height: 508 Weight: 155 Hair: BROWN Eye: BROWN
Address: 122 SIBBEN ST APT B City: MANISTEE State: MI Zip: 49660
Offense: C/750.520D Description: CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT - THIRD DEGREE (MULTIPLE VARIABLES)
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:31 pm
Septicity

You dont think monitoring of convicted serious criminals is a good thing? Especially ones that have been convicted of a crime that has a high repeat offending rate?

When recidivism was defined as any reoffence, the rates were: 36.3% overall, for child molesters 36.9% and for rapists 46.2%.

http://www.humanbeing.demon.nl/human...recidivism.htm

If I have a convicted paedophile living next door and I have children -- yes I want to be informed. Although, I'm not sure what I could do about it? Keep the children in all the time, shoot the bastard, move? None seem to be particularly helpful to me. Personally, would rather they kept them locked up and treating them till we had a < 5% re-offence rate

But that is not what the sex register is about. Manc gave his examples, ones which are very commonplace. Hell, you could even end up on it for urinating in a public place!

The best would be judicial overview on the seriousness, probability and danger of it, and this personal information then given to local residents on a need-to-know basis.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. Partystar, take a weapons course, if you dont want to carry a firearm fair enough, but if you are going to carry a defence tool make sure its an effective one. As one of my old instructors used to say "If you're going hit them make sure you only need to do it the once"
This is what my SFIL (also a cop) gave my husband as a present this year. My hubby doesn't keep it in his car, but in the truck that I drive, I'm sure he did this on purpose. I've never had weapons before I moved here, I don't feel the need to have them here really, but my husbands family prefers that I do, but I completely refuse to own a gun. It would do more harm than good & I'd never forgive myself if my 18 month old son were to be harmed by it.

http://www.shoppingwarehouse.net/prod-23730.html

Last edited by Partystar; Dec 30th 2005 at 6:35 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Manc
This is a mate of mine, all he did was shag his 17 year old girlfriend,
but anyone reading the Michigan sex offenders registry just sees pervert..........

Name: STEWART/ROBERT/STEPHEN/ Sex: M Race: W Dob: 06/10/1984
Height: 508 Weight: 155 Hair: BROWN Eye: BROWN
Address: 122 SIBBEN ST APT B City: MANISTEE State: MI Zip: 49660
Offense: C/750.520D Description: CRIMINAL SEXUAL CONDUCT - THIRD DEGREE (MULTIPLE VARIABLES)

And I agree there are lots on the SOR that shouldnt really be there. Unfortunately the application is pretty black and white: Commit what is defined in local law as a sexual offence and you're on it. Part of the problem in the US is the SOR is for life regardless of severity of offence whereas in the UK the judge can apply a time limit to inclusion on the SOR based on type and severity of offence.
Septicity

How about a policeman using a telephone to inform someone they think they saw you committing a crime?

That's fine.
Account Closed

If I have a convicted paedophile living next door and I have children -- yes I want to be informed. Although, I'm not sure what I could do about it? Keep the children in all the time, shoot the bastard, move? None seem to be particularly helpful to me. Personally, would rather they kept them locked up and treating them till we had a < 5% re-offence rate

But that is not what the sex register is about. Manc gave his examples, ones which are very commonplace. Hell, you could even end up on it for urinating in a public place!

The best would be judicial overview on the seriousness, probability and danger of it, and this personal information then given to local residents on a need-to-know basis.
Agreed. See my post above.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:34 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

And I agree there are lots on the SOR that shouldnt really be there. Unfortunately the application is pretty black and white: Commit what is defined in local law as a sexual offence and you're on it. Part of the problem in the US is the SOR is for life regardless of severity of offence whereas in the UK the judge can apply a time limit to inclusion on the SOR based on type and severity of offence.
A friend told me that if you get caught having sex in a public place in Arizona, then you get put on the SOR.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

That's fine.
How about a policeman using a telephone to pass information gleaned from watching a CCTV system onto a bobby on the street who then turns up and arrests the mugger who is currently kicking seven bells out of you in a shop doorway?
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
A friend told me that if you get caught having sex in a public place in Arizona, then you get put on the SOR.
Indecent Exposure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.