Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

best/worst aspects of living in U.S

best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best/worst aspects of living in U.S

Originally Posted by Dudette
I just wanted to chime in, I think your convo about Home Depot was funny as hell, btw I absolutely love HD and could spend hours there too, ooh and I'm not a guy
We do like to have fun...often taking the thread waaaaay off topic. Glad you enjoyed.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 5:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We do like to have fun...often taking the thread waaaaay off topic. Glad you enjoyed.
They recently opened a new HD in Oregon City, biggest one around here. Much more helpful staff than our local HD one 82nd and quite knowledgeable too. They took me quite seriously when I asked them which side of the front door you fitted a screen door, inside or outside, mind you it took my wife 30 seconds to realize I was taking the p*** this was after the guy demonstrated how to open the screen door using the door handle supplied. Back to Lowes.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
They recently opened a new HD in Oregon City, biggest one around here. Much more helpful staff than our local HD one 82nd and quite knowledgeable too. They took me quite seriously when I asked them which side of the front door you fitted a screen door, inside or outside, mind you it took my wife 30 seconds to realize I was taking the p*** this was after the guy demonstrated how to open the screen door using the door handle supplied. Back to Lowes.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I find outlet malls mostly overrated...most of the stuff is made for the outlet stores. The rest you can usually get cheaper when the department stores have sales.
Nordstroms have a great outlet store.

Also Wrentham in MA is really nice, especially for kids and kitchen stuff and everything is there.

Freeport in Maine is also pretty awesome, cute town and great bargains, especially in the poncy brand stores.

Been to plenty of other outlet malls that were pretty grotty though.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hairball
When I was last in Maine i was near a skunk when it sprayed toward the barn I was in. I know that skunks did not get their reputation for nothing so i was not suprised it smelled bad, but it's impossible to do justice the stench. It was like a cross between poo and burning polystyrene. It wasnt choking exactly, but it was sort of thick, that's the only way i could put it. No wonder owners get upset when their dogs get sprayed. It's a stunning smell.
Try driving over one....the smell follows you for weeks
Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Try driving over one....the smell follows you for weeks
My g/f just called (now living essentially alone in the house in CA) to say a family of Skunks has moved in under the house! Our neighbor was giving her the blow-by-blow of how they come and go, how many, etc. (we live on a steep hillside so there are huge 'crawl-spaces' the size of a house underneath the living areas). We don't know whether to do anything or not ... we've had racoons, rats, foxes, snakes, and other weird critters taking up residence, so maybe the skunks will displace other less desirables! There is no practical way to 'seal' the area, as far as I can tell, since the foundation sits on pillars and the rest is just 'filler'. We can call our local county, but all they do is place traps and then kill the animals (they used to relocate them but apparently no longer) ... so I don't want to participate in that.

Anyway, I like them and have grown to 'appreciate' their smell. Burnt, sweet rubber is probably a close description, but there's a definite garlic and coffee element to it that you can psyche your brain up to appreciating. Definitely better than cat's urine, cat poo, dog poo (which could/should be avoided if owners would take responsibility for their animals), rotting fish, and a lot of sickly perfumes that women choose to wear
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Anyway, I like them and have grown to 'appreciate' their smell. Burnt, sweet rubber is probably a close description, but there's a definite garlic and coffee element to it that you can psyche your brain up to appreciating. Definitely better than cat's urine, cat poo, dog poo (which could/should be avoided if owners would take responsibility for their animals), rotting fish, and a lot of sickly perfumes that women choose to wear
They smell fine generally, it's when they spray that things get nasty.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They smell fine generally, it's when they spray that things get nasty.
I was talking about the spray, silly : ) ...
Old Jun 29th 2010, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Semi-retired is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great post Karin and the boys.
Well I live in Uk but have home near Tampa so I sort of see things from both sides.
My husband works for a Company at London Gatwick, he took leave from September to December so as I said in previous post we could spend some time here to see if we would like to live here for a while.
At Christmas - remember he had taken leave for 3 months, when we got back he got a call, hey steve dont forget to stop by and get your turkey, 2 bottles of Wine and your bonus - very generous. So our holidays are far better and some companies in Uk can treat you great, his being one of them.
M&S was mentioned, I went in my local one last week and the assistant was so polite took my clothes that I was about to try and and showed me to the fitting room and said just give me a call if there is anything you need, that was nice, but I find in the area where we have our hol home near Tampa the shop assistants are very nice too.
I think there are good and bad but for me Uk is where I want to live, but love America for hols, love the people, the friendliness. I have especially been impressed by the attitude of tradespeople, they say a time and if they are going to be late you get a call. In UK you just have to wait and wait and zzzz wait.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

Not been here too long yet, so this list may well change in time!

BEST:
Weather
National Park on the doorstep
Cool wildlife
Great skiing
Right turn on red
Cheap petrol
Cheap camping gear
REI - every time I go in there I seem to spend 100 bucks - how does that happen?? Anyone else a fan?

WORST:
Being far away from family, friends and the sea
Crazy drivers
Stop signs everywhere instead of more sensible 'Yield' (Give Way signs)
Being asked where I'm from every time I open my mouth (it gets boring very quickly)
Roads too straight to justify a sports car (I'm too used to the fabby twisty roads of the Highlands and Islands)
No M&S, John Lewis, Boots, Debenhams or Wallis

On the subject of Home Depot, we went round some houses when we did our preview trip last year. Quickly realised that the majority of kitchens and bathrooms in houses here are gawping ugly, so did a scout round Home Depot and Lowes to suss out what they did and how much it would cost to buy stuff to do up a house. I was horrified at how limited the choice was - yes they sold 40 different kitchen taps, however, there was maybe only one or two that were remotely modern and stylish. We haven't yet bought a house but I've a feeling that it will be interesting when we do!! And BTW, what's the deal with that weird lumpy spray plaster they use everywhere? What's wrong with flat walls?????
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MadRad

On the subject of Home Depot, we went round some houses when we did our preview trip last year. Quickly realised that the majority of kitchens and bathrooms in houses here are gawping ugly, so did a scout round Home Depot and Lowes to suss out what they did and how much it would cost to buy stuff to do up a house. I was horrified at how limited the choice was - yes they sold 40 different kitchen taps, however, there was maybe only one or two that were remotely modern and stylish. We haven't yet bought a house but I've a feeling that it will be interesting when we do!! And BTW, what's the deal with that weird lumpy spray plaster they use everywhere? What's wrong with flat walls?????

I maybe wrong but I think the reason for the limited choice is because it seems 'custom' is the way to go.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

... And BTW, what's the deal with that weird lumpy spray plaster they use everywhere? What's wrong with flat walls?????
Same reason people wear loose clothing - hides a multitude of sins ...
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:39 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I was horrified at how limited the choice was - yes they sold 40 different kitchen taps, however, there was maybe only one or two that were remotely modern and stylish.
It is like stepping back into the '80s. Wait until you get your cable box, its like an old beta max
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
Its cos your a girl dear...havent you seen all the men wandering around aimlessly buying all sorts of stuff they will never use....what joy...

Oh..the shame of it...disparaging marks and sparks...Im tellin my mum!!!!

p.s. Im a bigtime gardener and the local HD has a great nursery...thats where I spend all my time..
Originally Posted by meauxna
Me too, but surely you can do better than that!
We'll have to start a new topic for this...
My husband totally loves that store as well....one of the reasons is that it reminds him of B&Q back in the UK.

On another note, my husband has been rewarded for loyalty and hard work here, but not as much in the UK.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about

While,I prefer Lowes(personal choice)

We came to this country with little(Husband was sericeman) We both worked very hard and have gotten to be quite wealthy.

Also I really like how friendly people are here and easy to get to know.(certainly not dimissing the English people,love that crazy sense of humour).

Looking forward to go back to England/Scotland in a few months time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.