Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best state in America to live,California or Florida?And 2nd best state to call home?

Best state in America to live,California or Florida?And 2nd best state to call home?

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best state in America to live,California or Florida?And 2nd best state to call ho

Originally Posted by JacknJill
Hi, This is my first time on here. I have lived in Maine, California, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and have visited about 40 of the 50 states. I now live in God's Country, South West Missouri. It is absolutly gorgeous, we are on a huge lake, with fabulous scenery and four seasons. Low cost of living and low taxes.
Try it you might like it.
Hello and welcome to BE.

There are many places I would like to see in the US but God's country isn't here ...it's Yorkshire, England.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:02 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best state in America to live,California or Florida?And 2nd best state to call ho

Hi, This is my first time on here. I have lived in Maine, California, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, and have visited about 40 of the 50 states. I now live in God's Country, South West Missouri. It is absolutly gorgeous, we are on a huge lake, with fabulous scenery and four seasons. Low cost of living and low taxes.
Try it you might like it.
It is pretty where you are! I try to make it to Taneycomo once a year or so for a fishing trip/family vacation. We stay at one of the small lodges and try not to go into Branson though, too much traffic! Sounds like you're on Taneycomo's big brother, which is also beautiful, especially in the fall.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

JacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Best state in America to live,California or Florida?And 2nd best state to call ho

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

There are many places I would like to see in the US but God's country isn't here ...it's Yorkshire, England.

I should have said in the USA, I agree, God's Country is England, no matter where you are.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

JacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud ofJacknJill has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Best state in America to live,California or Florida?And 2nd best state to call ho

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It is pretty where you are! I try to make it to Taneycomo once a year or so for a fishing trip/family vacation. We stay at one of the small lodges and try not to go into Branson though, too much traffic! Sounds like you're on Taneycomo's big brother, which is also beautiful, especially in the fall.

We are on Table Rock Lake, the other end from Branson. We call it the quite end of the lake. But, close enough to Branson if you want shows etc.
There are loads of resorts and great fishing, try it sometime.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally
Isn't that a Frankie Howerd line?

Welcome to the site
My Dad was a great Frankie Howard fan, so I have used that for years. I guess it rubbed off.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

My Dad was a great Frankie Howard fan, so I have used that for years. I guess it rubbed off.
Ooh Missus!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:18 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

We are on Table Rock Lake, the other end from Branson. We call it the quite end of the lake. But, close enough to Branson if you want shows etc.
There are loads of resorts and great fishing, try it sometime.
I used to go to Table Rock with my Dad when I was younger. I think we stayed on Indian Point somwhere. I haven't been there in years though, maybe it's time to ty it again. A friend of mine honeymooned at the Bass Pro Lodge on Table Rock and really liked it. It looks very nice, but not cheap.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I used to go to Table Rock with my Dad when I was younger. I think we stayed on Indian Point somwhere. I haven't been there in years though, maybe it's time to ty it again. A friend of mine honeymooned at the Bass Pro Lodge on Table Rock and really liked it. It looks very nice, but not cheap.
You were at the "other" end of the lake. Indian Point is near Silver Dollar City.
We have some very reasonable cozy cabin resorts, and you can actually swim and boat without getting run over.
If you do decide to come, get in touch and I will give you some names of some good places to stay.
This is a very small community, but there are 15 Brits that I know of within 25 miles of here. I have a small "British" food section in my store just for them. Marmite is the favorite.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:17 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

You were at the "other" end of the lake. Indian Point is near Silver Dollar City.
We have some very reasonable cozy cabin resorts, and you can actually swim and boat without getting run over.
If you do decide to come, get in touch and I will give you some names of some good places to stay.
This is a very small community, but there are 15 Brits that I know of within 25 miles of here. I have a small "British" food section in my store just for them. Marmite is the favorite.
He is not British.. hence the name Another bloody yank .. It sounds beautiful where you are and it's very nice of you to cater for other British.. Wait.. I'm not British either!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by anabella
He is not British.. hence the name Another bloody yank .. It sounds beautiful where you are and it's very nice of you to cater for other British.. Wait.. I'm not British either!
That's OK. Neither is my hubby, he is a Okie, but we forgive him for that.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 2:11 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Best state in America to live,California or Florida?And 2nd best state to call ho

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Not easy deciding where best to live in America.50 states are a lot to pick from.Cost of living,safety concerns,pleasant scenery and where best to get quality of life are all important factors when picking a place to call home.If you could pick California or Florida which of those two states would you pick and why?Does the high price housing market make California less attractive ? What other states are excellent choices in your opinion?

Thank
Florida is nice, with a lot of beautiful areas. Trouble is the housing market is doing a downward spiral, (might be good for buyers but not sellers), the chances of getting affordable Homeowners Insurance is diminishing all the time, with some Insurance companies pulling out of the state, you could always try Lloyds though (Good Luck)!! But I expect you would have to choose Citizens, which is the state fund of last resort. If a hurricane hits Florida again, the insurance rates will go so high only the rich will be able to afford to live here. Apart from that, Florida is great.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:38 am

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
Not easy deciding where best to live in America.50 states are a lot to pick from.Cost of living,safety concerns,pleasant scenery and where best to get quality of life are all important factors when picking a place to call home.If you could pick California or Florida which of those two states would you pick and why?Does the high price housing market make California less attractive ? What other states are excellent choices in your opinion?

Thank
The best of the fifty states in which to live would be Iowa,
it is smack in the middle
it is easy to spell
it is not over populated
it does not have high taxes
it does not have earthquakes
it does not have hurricanes
it is far away from me.........

Old Sep 6th 2007, 5:42 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Knows
The best of the fifty states in which to live would be Iowa,
it is smack in the middle
it is easy to spell
it is not over populated
it does not have high taxes
it does not have earthquakes
it does not have hurricanes
it is far away from me.........

it is covered in pig shit
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:02 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
it is covered in pig shit
True dat.

And it has no mountains. I never need to see it again.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 6:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm rather partial to Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Montana, and Utah myself. California and Florida? Meh....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.