Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN THE STATES

BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN THE STATES

Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:40 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN THE STATES

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Yes you get fish and chips everywhere here, cod or halibut with vinegar in restaurants even 'red robin' (lovely fish and chips). You can get a lovely but different preparation of fish but you can't get a decent chip though anywhere here

I have always thought a wee fish chip and van would make a killing here (or maybe its more I want one )
Red Robin makes a decent burger and the margaritas arent too bad.....
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:46 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop
Red Robin makes a decent burger and the margaritas arent too bad.....
Yes they do, I always seem to go when there someones birthday and they have to sing that stupid birthday ditty song, and yell it in your ear when clapping as hard as can be
We go as OH loves their fish and chips.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:48 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
It would have to sell Irn-Bru of course!
Of course! Even my OH says you have to drink irn-bru when eating fish and chips.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:56 am

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes they do, I always seem to go when there someones birthday and they have to sing that stupid birthday ditty song, and yell it in your ear when clapping as hard as can be
There's a restaurant/bar called "Jims Crab Shack" here.........its brilliant

At 7pm all the waitresses do the "Carwash song" and at 8, they do "YMCA". You can get T shirts which read "I got my crabs at the Shack".......

If you are ever in Hampton Roads..........go there! You wont regret it.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:24 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I just had Fish and "Fries" (That's what it says on the menu!) at my favorite Bar. They must have gone yuppie since I lived in the city because a "Large" order is now $13.50 and consists of two small (about 1 1/2 inches by 5 inches or so) peices of battered cod on top of what must have been 3 lbs of french fries. :curse::curse: It used to be a lot more fish for a lot less $$!

It was very good as usual, but I won't be going back.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 3:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
I would check out the west coast as well very different feel from east coast. San Diego is very nice (Slightly biases). Oh and we do have good fish and chips.
Really? The place on Washington street? Or the fishmarket on Via de la Veille (or however you spell it)?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:56 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Really? The place on Washington street? Or the fishmarket on Via de la Veille (or however you spell it)?
The place off of Washington, Its on India st. “Shakespeare Pub & Grill. “
http://www.shakespearepub.com/
There is also a place called Princess Pub &Grill, strangely enough also on India & Date st.
http://www.princesspubandgrille.com/
Now that said I don’t think that either of them are cheap, but the portions are huge.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:28 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you get fish and chips everywhere here, cod or halibut with vinegar in restaurants even 'red robin' (lovely fish and chips). You can get a lovely but different preparation of fish but you can't get a decent chip though anywhere here
It's why I relish my occasional visits to NYC which always involve lunch at 'The Chip Shop' in Brooklyn. Fish, proper chips followed by treacle sponge and custard, all washed down with dandelion and burdock. (But they also have Tizer and Irn Bru!)
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:34 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Start throwing chairs and they'll quit the retarded singing. :curse:
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If Americans loved fish and chips...there would be plenty of f & c shops around. I would have thought you need to aim at the Brit expat/holidaymaker market.

Or the Irish market. Fish and Chips is a regular staple on the menu at all our many Irish coffee shops here where I live. They don't always use cod though. If you're lucky they will have a fresh shipment of Haddock. Hmmm the best for fish and chips.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Or the Irish market. Fish and Chips is a regular staple on the menu at all our many Irish coffee shops here where I live. They don't always use cod though. If you're lucky they will have a fresh shipment of Haddock. Hmmm the best for fish and chips.
I've never had fish and chips here that taste anything like the ones from a good old British chippy. Maybe you need grey damp weather to make them taste the same.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hatfield1
The place off of Washington, Its on India st. “Shakespeare Pub & Grill. “
http://www.shakespearepub.com/
There is also a place called Princess Pub &Grill, strangely enough also on India & Date st.
http://www.princesspubandgrille.com/
Now that said I don’t think that either of them are cheap, but the portions are huge.
Thanks...the shakespeare was the one that I was thinking of.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:25 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Thanks...the shakespeare was the one that I was thinking of.
MM………makes me hungry after talking about it. To far away to make it for lunch toady. Wouldn’t want to come back to work if I could make it.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 5:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

fish and chips are all over, but the main difference, the chips are manky fries, and the fish, tends to be in small finger bite sizes, at least it's often battered instead of breaded.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:33 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've never had fish and chips here that taste anything like the ones from a good old British chippy. Maybe you need grey damp weather to make them taste the same.
Last time I was back in my hometown, Mrs O'Brien's lovely old chippy was now owned and run by some Pakistanis twas all frozen crap. made me sad

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.