British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN THE STATES (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/best-places-visit-states-465425/)

zeus76 Jul 11th 2007 6:47 pm

BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN THE STATES

Hi to all members, i'm a newbie here :)

PLEASE BE GENTLE!!

SERIOUSLY THINKING ON GOING HOLIDAY TO THE STATES, BUT DONT KNOW WERE ABOUTS TO GO, AS IT IS A VAST COUNTRY
ANY THOUGHTS.

MY SISTER STAYS IN MICHIGAN, BUT I KNOW FROM MY BROTHER THAT HE DIDNT REALLY LIKE IT THERE, BUT HE DID LIKE CHICAGO, SO MAY BE THATS ONE POSSIBILITY.

IT IS PART HOLIDAY AND PART BUSINESS THAT I WOULD BE GOING FOR.
I WAS WONDERING IF THE GOOD OLD FISH AND CHIP SHOPS IN THE STATES DO GOOD BUSINESS. I KNOW THAT THE YANKS LOVE FISH AND CHIP OVER HERE. ALSO WERE ABOUTS WOULD THE BEST PLACE BE TO OPEN A CHIPPIE?

ANY INPUT FROM FELLOW MEMBERS WOULD BE KINDLY APPRECIATED.

ZEUS76

Rete Jul 11th 2007 6:54 pm

Re: BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN THE STATES

Hi newbie zeus

One thing, first off. Typing in solid caps is rude. It is considered shouting.

Chicago is in Illinois so you will have to travel a bit to visit Chicago. As for fish and chip shops, you will be hard pressed to find them in the US. You will find them along the New England coastal areas (I know from experience), Mississippi and Louisiana coast in the South and in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick provinces in Canada. So trying to determine if one would be successful in certain areas of the US might take a bit of research.

So that's the business you are coming to the US for? Hope you have 1/2 a million to invest in your business in order to qualify for a visa.

Back to where you can or should go for your pleasure portion of the trip, depends entirely on what you are interested in. As you said lots to do and see.

zeus76 Jul 11th 2007 7:03 pm

Hi Rete

One thing, first off. Typing in solid caps is rude. It is considered shouting.

Sorry.
I will probably go through the route of E2 visa but do i need half a $million just to do business in the states and live there, i know i can not get green card.
Is it possible to buy say a exsisting restaurant thats already up and running and then convert to my own use?
I am single so no attachments!

Bill_S Jul 11th 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by zeus76 (Post 5041742)

SERIOUSLY THINKING ON GOING HOLIDAY TO THE STATES, BUT DONT KNOW WERE ABOUTS TO GO, AS IT IS A VAST COUNTRY
ANY THOUGHTS.

MY SISTER STAYS IN MICHIGAN, BUT I KNOW FROM MY BROTHER THAT HE DIDNT REALLY LIKE IT THERE, BUT HE DID LIKE CHICAGO, SO MAY BE THATS ONE POSSIBILITY.

ZEUS76

We need more information. What do you like to see/do while on holiday? Skiing, swimming, boating, mountain climbing, hiking, bike riding, hang gliding, fishing, touring museums/art galleries, shopping, big cities, small towns, forests, prairies, deserts, lakes,...

How long will this holiday last? One week, one month?

zeus76 Jul 11th 2007 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 5041868)
We need more information. What do you like to see/do while on holiday? Skiing, swimming, boating, mountain climbing, hiking, bike riding, hang gliding, fishing, touring museums/art galleries, shopping, big cities, small towns, forests, prairies, deserts, lakes,...

How long will this holiday last? One week, one month?

Definantley big cities, pubs bars and dinning, also would like to hire car for duration of the holiday and explore different parts of the u.s. holiday will hopefully last 2months or little bit less. Also what is the most cost effective way accomodation wise, i mean hotels are gunna be expensive, are motels along the same route or are they less expensive than hotels? or may be an apartment.
Just want to explore to find out were my business concept would work effectively.:thumbup:

Jerseygirl Jul 11th 2007 7:25 pm

PLEASE BE GENTLE!!

ANY THOUGHTS.

I WAS WONDERING IF THE GOOD OLD FISH AND CHIP SHOPS IN THE STATES DO GOOD BUSINESS. I KNOW THAT THE YANKS LOVE FISH AND CHIP OVER HERE. ALSO WERE ABOUTS WOULD THE BEST PLACE BE TO OPEN A CHIPPIE?

ZEUS76

Have you considered Florida? Plenty of Brits around to buy fish and chips...it could be a little gold mine. The weather is nice too. I hear Orlando is quite nice...

Rete Jul 11th 2007 7:29 pm

Read up on various ways to live and/or work in the US. It is at the top of this forum, BTW ;-)

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

As for vacation, if big cities are your thing, there is Chicago, Illinois; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York, New York; Washinton, DC; Los Angeles, California; Portland, Oregon; Seattle, Washington; New Orleans, Louisiana; Boston, Massachusetts.

If you want a flavor of different cultures then go to cities like Chicago, New York City, Boston, New Orleans for a taste of every culture in the world. Different ethnic neighborhoods in all of those cities (not sure on New Orleans).

Motels are generally cheaper than hotels. I'm not one for staying in major hotels and unless there is a Marriott or a Ramada around, I will chose a motel like Super 8 for my stopovers. But that's me. I don't waste money on balcony suites on cruiseliners either because you are only in your room to sleep. All I need is a comfy bed and a washroom.

zeus76 Jul 11th 2007 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5041956)
Have you considered Florida? Plenty of Brits around to buy fish and chips...it could be a little gold mine. The weather is nice too. I hear Orlando is quite nice...

Florida theres already lots of chippies over there as my friend who moved out there not long ago to Kissimmie. But the problem being out near the gulf coast you wont be able to get the Cod as its a cold water fish, you cannot have a traditional chp shop and not sell cod and chips!!;)

any other places??

Jerseygirl Jul 11th 2007 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by zeus76 (Post 5041979)
Florida theres already lots of chippies over there as my friend who moved out there not long ago to Kissimmie. But the problem being out near the gulf coast you wont be able to get the Cod as its a cold water fish, you cannot have a traditional chp shop and not sell cod and chips!!;)

any other places??

If Americans loved fish and chips...there would be plenty of f & c shops around. I would have thought you need to aim at the Brit expat/holidaymaker market.

zeus76 Jul 11th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5042010)
If Americans loved fish and chips...there would be plenty of f & c shops around. I would have thought you need to aim at the Brit expat/holidaymaker market.

jerseygirl like i mentioned there is already to many out there also the supply of fish is a problem. Also personally i dont think i could live in florida as it is to hot for me.

Lycanthrop Jul 11th 2007 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by zeus76 (Post 5041909)
Definantley big cities, pubs bars and dinning, also would like to hire car for duration of the holiday and explore different parts of the u.s. holiday will hopefully last 2months or little bit less. Also what is the most cost effective way accomodation wise, i mean hotels are gunna be expensive, are motels along the same route or are they less expensive than hotels? or may be an apartment.
Just want to explore to find out were my business concept would work effectively.:thumbup:

.......all assuming you can convince USCIS (the Gestapo) that you can vacation here for 2 whole months..........

No pubs here - they just dont exist. Most septics haven't a clue what real fish and chips is and the stuff you can find is a pretty poor imitation........Bars are everywhere, restaurants too. Be careful of the bars tho as some are basically a urinal with a couple of beer pumps installed. ;)
You can rent an efficiency suite in most big cities and that will give you a base from which to explore. Motels are a bit cheaper and some come with breakfast, you can usually find them at every city near the interstates, so if you are travelling maybe an average of $100/night for a motel room is a good idea.

There is a very diverse range of things to see here, so maybe a short list of the types of things you are interested in seeing? Try subjects like......Historical, Western flavor, Southern sights, Artsy Fartsy, Concrete jungles or open spaces.......

Good luck and expect something different....... :)

hatfield1 Jul 11th 2007 8:41 pm

PLEASE BE GENTLE!!

ANY THOUGHTS.

ZEUS76

I would check out the west coast as well very different feel from east coast. San Diego is very nice (Slightly biases). Oh and we do have good fish and chips. You would be close to many other states with some great stuff to see and it’s close to Mexico. You would have some fun down there as well.

southern comfort Jul 11th 2007 8:45 pm

PLEASE BE GENTLE!!

ANY THOUGHTS.

ZEUS76

fish and chips prob do well where brits visit say Orlando area

southern comfort Jul 11th 2007 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by zeus76 (Post 5041979)

any other places??

fraid there are lots of seafood restaurants here with a rather large variety of fish we tend to want more than basic fish and chips and malt vinegar lol

southern comfort Jul 11th 2007 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lycanthrop (Post 5042186)
.......all assuming you can convince USCIS (the Gestapo) that you can vacation here for 2 whole months..........

No pubs here - they just dont exist. Most septics haven't a clue what real fish and chips is and the stuff you can find is a pretty poor imitation........Bars are everywhere, restaurants too. Be careful of the bars tho as some are basically a urinal with a couple of beer pumps installed. ;)
You can rent an efficiency suite in most big cities and that will give you a base from which to explore. Motels are a bit cheaper and some come with breakfast, you can usually find them at every city near the interstates, so if you are travelling maybe an average of $100/night for a motel room is a good idea.

There is a very diverse range of things to see here, so maybe a short list of the types of things you are interested in seeing? Try subjects like......Historical, Western flavor, Southern sights, Artsy Fartsy, Concrete jungles or open spaces.......

Good luck and expect something different....... :)

Ahhh come on we just may want a bit more on our:rofl: plates than battered fish and fried spuds with malt vinegar over the lot