Best Chain Restaurants in America

Wikiposts

Best Chain Restaurants in America

Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:13 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Chain Restaurants in America

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Bradford - Little India!! Thats where I had my first curry (or at least my first non Vesta curry - remember those - Yuk!) Was at the Uni 82-85 - were you there?

I was at Huddersfield 86 to 89 - my first ever curry was in the Kashmir by the Uni - no cutlery 2 quid a pop open 10 til 4 am- was a loyal patron for 15 years - its still only 3 quid - best I've ever eaten

Where you from ?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Thats very true - they have huge temporary / economic migration to the cities from the rural areas, which is providing cheap labor, along with some pretty big headaches...but even in the big cities there is still a lot of poverty by western standards

Even in the rural areas you can get decent grub if you know what to look for (or more accurately, if the person you're travelling knows what to look for!) - you sometimes just have to get rid of the 'norms' you've been brought up with. Some of the grottiest little noodle shops serve up great noodle soups (best not to ask what the broht is made from), but there is a much heavier starch and veg content and much lower protein than we (or at least I) would be used to.

But one of the most memorable meals was on a trip to Mongolia - We had a great meal in a tent on the grasslands - a whole lamb had been spit barbecued and presented on a huge platter, complete with head, and with all sorts of somewhat questionable titbits round it. The people we were with looked poor as anything, and I spent the whole meal feeling guilty that they'd probably slaughtered the family's only lamb for our benefit. Or at least I did till the stuff that we were toasting with every 5 minutes (tasted like turps) kicked in, and then I really hadn't a care in the world! Turned out they had a flock of almost 100 sheep and they were (by local standards) very well off!

Never ceases to amaze me that just about wherever you go, the people with the least to "give" are often the most generous and hospitable with what they have.
Have an American friend who is married to a Brit and they live in China. They were very excited that a Walmart was going to open up in their 'small' city (only half a million folk or something!). Their first walk through the grocery section was an eye opener (excuse the pun). The normal Chinese 'nasties' to be bought...lolol

Strangely enough, the UK Indian food is different from the S.A. Indian food, but then I would think that it depends on what part of the sub-continent you come from.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:34 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
My best friend is British Indian and I've had Indian home cooking many times (not just her Mum's but her sister's, her cousin's, her aunty in NY of all places and other members of her family). Indian home cooking is bears little resemblence to any Indian restaurant food, both in the UK or the US.

NC Penguin
Sorry, I beg to differ. It must depend what part of India you are from. My parents rented rooms from Indians when they first moved to Birmingham from Belfast. One of the Indian ladies of the house taught my Mom how to cook curry before it was really 'in', in the late 60's. It is the same as served in Indian restaurants served in UK curry houses, excluding 'Balti' which is actually a dish invented by an Indian ex-pat restaurant owner in Birmingham.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Olive Garden I am speechless, I would rather starve..

yes mee too.....not seen longhorn steakhouse yet much better than outback
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:48 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
There's a really great Spanish restaurant in Baltimore (Tio Pepe) - downstairs and made into lots of little rooms like a wine cellar. The food is very authentic Spanish and yummy and not overly massive portions. Wine list is wonderful.
I have always wondered why there are so few Spanish food/Tapa joints here in the States. Spanish food (like Italian) is so vastly varied from region to region that it offers something for everyone. The best Spanish food I've had in a resturant was in an "Italian" resturant on The Hill in St Louis (Guidos Pizza) owned by a Spanish couple, who made theeir bread and butter selling pizza- but also had a decent Spanish menu which catered to the Spanish students at STL university. Best Bacalao a la Vizcaina (Codfish in a tomato sauce) I've ever had. Chicago's Cafe Iberico on LaSalle was also excellent.

Maybe some day Cathy and I will launch "Catherine's of Aragon"...trading the heat of a kitchen for that of the foundry.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Originally Posted by ironporer
I have always wondered why there are so few Spanish food/Tapa joints here in the States. Spanish food (like Italian) is so vastly varied from region to region that it offers something for everyone. The best Spanish food I've had in a resturant was in an "Italian" resturant on The Hill in St Louis (Guidos Pizza) owned by a Spanish couple, who made theeir bread and butter selling pizza- but also had a decent Spanish menu which catered to the Spanish students at STL university. Best Bacalao a la Vizcaina (Codfish in a tomato sauce) I've ever had. Chicago's Cafe Iberico on LaSalle was also excellent.

Maybe some day Cathy and I will launch "Catherine's of Aragon"...trading the heat of a kitchen for that of the foundry.
That is a really excellent name for a restaurant!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:17 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlisonPA
That is a really excellent name for a restaurant!

Sounds like a franchise just bustin' to happen.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:58 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tomelina
Sorry, I beg to differ. It must depend what part of India you are from. My parents rented rooms from Indians when they first moved to Birmingham from Belfast. One of the Indian ladies of the house taught my Mom how to cook curry before it was really 'in', in the late 60's. It is the same as served in Indian restaurants served in UK curry houses, excluding 'Balti' which is actually a dish invented by an Indian ex-pat restaurant owner in Birmingham.
Funny you mention about early days of Indian cuisine in the UK. My best friend's parents opened the first Indian restaurant in Surrey back in the 1950s (possibly the 60s).

I will check with her to find out if the stuff served in the family's restaurant was in anyway similar to what the family ate at home.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:00 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer

Just out of interest where is "The Hill in St Louis" .Are there any good indian restaurants there?
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:30 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Just out of interest where is "The Hill in St Louis" .Are there any good indian restaurants there?
I Googled for info and it seems the Hill is a neighborhood in St. Louis with a high concentration of Italian restaurants. A Little Italy of sorts, perhaps.

See-
http://www.macrosign.com/rguide/ra4stl.htm#thehill

I would recommend going to www.chowhound.com and looking at the forum that covers St. Louis for Indian restaurants. That's where you'll find diner reviews.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:49 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
'The Hill" is an old neighborhood of STL famous for it's Italian heritage, just off I-44, famous for it's Italian resturants. Yogi Berra, Joe Garigiola and some other famous ball players are from there. Indian?... don't know of any there off hand.

http://www.explorestlouis.com/neighb...asp?PageType=4

http://www.diningstl.com/TheHill.htm
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:51 am
Maño-Americano

I Googled for info and it seems the Hill is a neighborhood in St. Louis with a high concentration of Italian restaurants. A Little Italy of sorts, perhaps.

See-

I would recommend going to www.chowhound.com and looking at the forum that covers St. Louis for Indian restaurants. That's where you'll find diner reviews.

NC Penguin
Dooooh! I should'a read one post further down!
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I was at Huddersfield 86 to 89 - my first ever curry was in the Kashmir by the Uni - no cutlery 2 quid a pop open 10 til 4 am- was a loyal patron for 15 years - its still only 3 quid - best I've ever eaten

Where you from ?
Ha - used to go to the Kashmir a lot - standard saturday night out - Shearbridge--> Pickwicks--> Kashmir....brings back memories....

(Ps - from NYorks originally - family are still in Guisborough)

Last edited by Yorkieabroad; Mar 17th 2005 at 2:38 am.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:50 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

See-

NC Penguin
Thank you, now I know
Old Mar 17th 2005, 3:06 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Ha - used to go to the Kashmir a lot - standard saturday night out - Shearbridge--> Pickwicks--> Kashmir....brings back memories....

(Ps - from NYorks originally - family are still in Guisborough)
In Manchester in the late 60s/early 70s there was the infamous Plaza Cafe near UMIST.

Nobody ever selected anything off the menu except the Chicken Biriani, which we would drive 30 miles to eat after the pubs shut.

One time, a friend of mine picked a "meat dish" and found a rib bone about 10" long in it.

Every few months the Plaza would be shut down for having unusual carcases hanging up in the fridge. It then reopened with the same name but a different "owner" who was usually one of the waiters.

Chicken Biriani was damned good though and damned cheap too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.