Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Best Chain Restaurants in America

Wikiposts

Best Chain Restaurants in America

Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:36 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Chain Restaurants in America

In Tahoe they have an 'Irish Mexican' restaurant. Never did try it. Still remember it. Tequila-fried potato with Guinness and salsa?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:44 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dan725
After being here a while, I tend to find the chain everything, not just restaurants, does make the place a bit bland. Most noticable in the commuter suburbs - where all the towns just look like one never ending conveyor belt of billboards and chain signs as you drive by. Red Lobster, Taco Bell, Mac Ds, Target, Best Buy, Staples, KMart, Walmart, Outback, TGI Friday, Ruby Tuesday, Hardees, Olive Garden, Carrabbas, Walmart, etc etc etc etc.......all blurs into one as you drive through "Anywheresville"!

I don't mind the food at many chains, but the production line living sometimes gets a bit thin. It is great when you can find the places that are one of a kind.
You have to go down to South Tampa to enjoy anything quite like we're used to. Howard Avenue has trendy restaurants all over, near Bayshore. Across the bay, down Gulf boulevard in Clearwater all the way to Fort de Soto, are little places. Tarpon Springs has a couple of nice places too (love Pappas).

For ribs, the very best restaurant in town is found down in South Tampa on Gandy Blvd : Kojak's.

And of course, the one of the most expensive restaurants in town is Berns Great to take the kids to for dessert as a special treat. http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/bs_frame.htm

Hyde Park has some where you can dine alfresco but unfortunately, not with a view (unless you consider Gap Kids/Pottery Barn Kids and Brooks Brothers a view!) There are some really nice coffee shops down there too.

Columbia down in Ybor City has flamenco dancing nightly. Been there since 1905 (VERY OLD by US standards ).

Then you have many places down in Rocky Point just at the start of the Campbell Causeway. Bahama Breeze, Castaways, Landry's (is that still there, haven't been that way for a while, go to Siesta for my 'beaching'?)

You have to really search, but you WILL find. You'll have to move out of the boondocks though, if you want to find them..
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:22 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
e.g. went to a gem of an Italian (not Italian American) restaurant only minutes from where I live. We each had two courses and a glass of wine and the check came to just over $60.00. Was it worth it? Most definitely. Would I eat there regularly? No, just once in a while (special occasions).
NC Penguin

my sentiments exactly
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:26 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Tarpon Springs has a couple of nice places too (love Pappas).
slightly off topic but....

when i was in your area, we had a nickname for tarpon springs - something involving tampax and the chain pull bit....

i'm sure you can work it out...

very relaxing on the gulf coast tho....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:39 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
God yes, disgusting. Denneys my fav, will not waist my money at steak houses, I do better at home.

He he he - used to go to Denneys a lot in Singapore - normally at 3am fissed as a part....first time I went sober was a real eye-opener....swore never again, well not till the next friday night at 3 am anyway....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:43 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
That being said, I am shocked that Fuddruckers is not on this list. They say they serve the "world's greatest hamburgers" -- and they do!
With you on Fuddruckers - I have my 2 in preschool two days a week now - Wednesdays are for jobs, and Fridays are "Dad time" - which invariably includes Fuddruckers...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
So that would be bread and water then !
its just like Indian food here -Americanised and watered down for the uneducated / unadventerous palate- whats the point ?
To be fair though, you can level that criticism at most 'ethnic' foods in most countries....English/Indian is nothing like Indian/Indian, American/Chinese or English/Chinese are nothing like Chinese/Chinese etc etc.....
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:02 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
....English/Indian is nothing like Indian/Indian, ...
not a fair comparison - most of my Indian friends in England claim "English" Indian to be better than Indian /Indian due to the quality of the ingrediants.. puttting cheese glop in or on everything does not improve the originals
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:07 pm

I have a Chinese friend (OK. She's HK Chinese) who travelled extensively in China so she ate real Chinese. She said what the Chinese eat on a daily basis in their homes was pretty horrible that she didn't like it much either.

NC Penguin
Ah, you don't know what you're missing!!!! I used to travel to China a lot when we lived in the far east on business, and vacation, and then I spent a month at Beijing University last summer. Ate local the whole time (apart from one night at Hard Rock Cafe of all places - I was totally "noodled out" and needed a chunk of something to bite into!) - wonderful! So much more real flavor than the over sauced artificial cr@p that gets served in either American or English Chinese restaurants.....Yeah, some 'odd' things appear now and then, but that happens in any cuisine.

My mother in law is Taiwanese, and the home cooked authentic chinese that she puts on the table is fantastic. If there are westerners at dinner, she normally adds a sweet and sour something, but you can pick right past that!!
Just a shame her daughter didn't inherit her culinary skills!
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:19 pm

not a fair comparison - most of my Indian friends in England claim "English" Indian to be better than Indian /Indian due to the quality of the ingrediants.. puttting cheese glop in or on everything does not improve the originals
well compare like with like then...If you go to a poor country, a lot of the folk have to survive on poor ingredients.....if you're lucky enough to be in a well off home or a good restaurant in that country, access to better ingredients makes a big difference...then you get a fair comparison....stand by my original comment - go to a decent English/Indian restaurant and its nothing like a decent indian/indian restaurant...
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:25 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

well compare like with like then...If you go to a poor country, a lot of the folk have to survive on poor ingredients.....if you're lucky enough to be in a well off home or a good restaurant in that country, access to better ingredients makes a big difference...then you get a fair comparison....stand by my original comment - go to a decent English/Indian restaurant and its nothing like a decent indian/indian restaurant...
my opinion is based on friends I have never been to India (just Bradford is that close ?)- but burgers are better in the US so maybe you're correct
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:41 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, you don't know what you're missing!!!! I used to travel to China a lot when we lived in the far east on business, and vacation, and then I spent a month at Beijing University last summer. Ate local the whole time (apart from one night at Hard Rock Cafe of all places - I was totally "noodled out" and needed a chunk of something to bite into!) - wonderful! So much more real flavor than the over sauced artificial cr@p that gets served in either American or English Chinese restaurants.....Yeah, some 'odd' things appear now and then, but that happens in any cuisine.

My mother in law is Taiwanese, and the home cooked authentic chinese that she puts on the table is fantastic. If there are westerners at dinner, she normally adds a sweet and sour something, but you can pick right past that!!
Just a shame her daughter didn't inherit her culinary skills!
My friend was travelling in rural China, not the big cities where there are tourists and foreigners. She was eating what the average Chinese eats. The average Chinese does not live in a big city (though I'm sure many millions would love to).

NC Penguin
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

My best friend is British Indian and I've had Indian home cooking many times (not just her Mum's but her sister's, her cousin's, her aunty in NY of all places and other members of her family). Indian home cooking is bears little resemblence to any Indian restaurant food, both in the UK or the US.

NC Penguin
Old Mar 16th 2005, 2:52 pm

my opinion is based on friends I have never been to India (just Bradford is that close ?)- but burgers are better in the US so maybe you're correct
Bradford - Little India!! Thats where I had my first curry (or at least my first non Vesta curry - remember those - Yuk!) Was at the Uni 82-85 - were you there?
Old Mar 16th 2005, 3:04 pm

My friend was travelling in rural China, not the big cities where there are tourists and foreigners. She was eating what the average Chinese eats. The average Chinese does not live in a big city (though I'm sure many millions would love to).

NC Penguin
Thats very true - they have huge temporary / economic migration to the cities from the rural areas, which is providing cheap labor, along with some pretty big headaches...but even in the big cities there is still a lot of poverty by western standards

Even in the rural areas you can get decent grub if you know what to look for (or more accurately, if the person you're travelling knows what to look for!) - you sometimes just have to get rid of the 'norms' you've been brought up with. Some of the grottiest little noodle shops serve up great noodle soups (best not to ask what the broht is made from), but there is a much heavier starch and veg content and much lower protein than we (or at least I) would be used to.

But one of the most memorable meals was on a trip to Mongolia - We had a great meal in a tent on the grasslands - a whole lamb had been spit barbecued and presented on a huge platter, complete with head, and with all sorts of somewhat questionable titbits round it. The people we were with looked poor as anything, and I spent the whole meal feeling guilty that they'd probably slaughtered the family's only lamb for our benefit. Or at least I did till the stuff that we were toasting with every 5 minutes (tasted like turps) kicked in, and then I really hadn't a care in the world! Turned out they had a flock of almost 100 sheep and they were (by local standards) very well off!

Never ceases to amaze me that just about wherever you go, the people with the least to "give" are often the most generous and hospitable with what they have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.