Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Been here 6 months today and...

Been here 6 months today and...

Old Sep 29th 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been here 6 months today and...

Originally Posted by Derrygal
How the heck did you manage that? I work for a large Fortune 500 company (been there 11 plus years) and get 15 days vacation and 6 public holidays - one miserable day for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. You must work for the government to get all that time off!!!!
I work for a large Fortune 500 company too.

After we've been there 10 years we go up to 31 days PTO... or is it 32?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

How the heck did you manage that? I work for a large Fortune 500 company (been there 11 plus years) and get 15 days vacation and 6 public holidays - one miserable day for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. You must work for the government to get all that time off!!!!
I work for a large American HQ'd Berkshire Hathaway owned Reinsurance company - I get 25 days vacation plus public holidays.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 4:14 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You must get the same 6 I do then by the sound of it!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Work remotely for a small internet company based in Florida and Maryland on secondment for the U.K division. When I was negotiating the transfer I went in with my UK holiday allowance and they beat me down slightly. Still ended up with 21 days paid vacation time and 11 public holidays. Never going to happen again by the sounds of it.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Work remotely for a small internet company based in Florida and Maryland on secondment for the U.K division. When I was negotiating the transfer I went in with my UK holiday allowance and they beat me down slightly. Still ended up with 21 days paid vacation time and 11 public holidays. Never going to happen again by the sounds of it.
Everything is negotiable & vacation time is what I ask for the most.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 6:28 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Everything is negotiable & vacation time is what I ask for the most.
...... and what do they say when you ask?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 7:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
...... and what do they say when you ask?
The last time, I got 6 weeks+/year, the time before that, 4 weeks+/year.
Now I'm f'in self employed and don't take any!
To be fair, I had quite a break, so need to make up a bit. We usually take 2-3 weeks off for a big trip and several smaller ones but expanded the house (money pit) recently.