Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Been back 9 months now, and will be returning to Oz

Been back 9 months now, and will be returning to Oz

Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Been back 9 months now, and will be returning to Oz

Originally Posted by toodlepip
Oh poor you. It is difficult though to be honest I'm thinking that a 6 month separation from my husband for 6 months might do us both good after being constantly with each other for the past 10/11 months. I feel cross with him that he hasn't given it longer here and hasn't made an effort to settle. I don't believe long term that he will settle back into Australia, but feel lucky that we can choose where we live.

All the very best wishes to you, I hope things work out well for your family and yes to the schools. They get a very negative press here but you will never hear me complain about the English education system (though I appreciate the area we live in is very good for schools - it's why we chose it).
I think a separation may help us also as this whole process has taken it's toll on our marriage. I was looking forward to getting rid of him for a while ( ) but when it came down to the goodbyes felt a bit differently.

Lets hope for us all that absence does make the heart grow fonder.

Last edited by bettyboo67; Apr 18th 2012 at 1:47 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:49 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, not so sure about strong marriage, we have very nearly split up over this! I even saw a solicitor back in January and we have been to Relate. We're not out of the woods, I am making a huge sacrifice for him and though he says he is grateful only time will tell if he really does appreciate it.
What a nightmare but you seem to be taking all the right steps to try and save your marriage, I can't imagine what you must be going through. My parents nearly split up over this very same issue but after 45 years they are still together and very happy. As an adult I can speak to my parents now about things and I had no idea of the misery they went through with the Oz-UK-Oz-UK stuff, we even lived in NZ for a year as a way to try and sort things out - it didn't work!

I'm returning solo as I've come out of a messy relationship. My OH has moved on very quickly and his new partner seems to enjoy making things as difficult as possible for me - nice! I'm lucky (in a way) that I only have myself to think of but it has been a miserable lonely year. I am so looking forward to having the support of family and friends, boy did I ever take that for granted before lol!

Like you say, maybe some time apart will do you both good and give you and your kids time to prepare yourselves for your return to Oz? You seem to have good friends in Melbourne which is great, hopefully that will make your eventual return easier for you. I really do wish you all the best as you are in a horrible situation atm and yes, I hope he does appreciate you!!!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Toodlepip,
I`m from Knaresborough, now in the US, returning to our house in the UK this summer. I think you are very sane negotiating a prereturn contract and wish I`d done the same before we moved to the US on a (two years that turned into five and could have been even longer than that!!!!!!!!!) job transfer.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MissBetty
What a nightmare but you seem to be taking all the right steps to try and save your marriage, I can't imagine what you must be going through. My parents nearly split up over this very same issue but after 45 years they are still together and very happy. As an adult I can speak to my parents now about things and I had no idea of the misery they went through with the Oz-UK-Oz-UK stuff, we even lived in NZ for a year as a way to try and sort things out - it didn't work!

I'm returning solo as I've come out of a messy relationship. My OH has moved on very quickly and his new partner seems to enjoy making things as difficult as possible for me - nice! I'm lucky (in a way) that I only have myself to think of but it has been a miserable lonely year. I am so looking forward to having the support of family and friends, boy did I ever take that for granted before lol!

Like you say, maybe some time apart will do you both good and give you and your kids time to prepare yourselves for your return to Oz? You seem to have good friends in Melbourne which is great, hopefully that will make your eventual return easier for you. I really do wish you all the best as you are in a horrible situation atm and yes, I hope he does appreciate you!!!
It's very reassuring to hear that other people have gone through this and survived. I'm glad I posted now, thought twice about it as it's so personal and britishexpats is so public.

I'm sorry to hear about your relationship ending and hope returning is a new and exciting start for you. We have been married 13 years (yesterday!) and have done 8 house moves in that time, I'm hoping for a more boring next 13 years!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

toodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of lighttoodlepip is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
I think a separation may help us also as this whole process has taken it's toll on our marriage. I was looking forward to getting rid of him for a while ( ) but when it came down to the goodbyes felt a bit differently.

Lets hope for us all that absence does make the heart grow fonder.
Yes! I sometimes think I'll be so relieved when he goes but it will be very weird being on my own. We have done a few things (bought him a new wedding ring as his got lost years ago, and me an eternity ring) to show we are committed to the marriage. I am trying to plan lots of things for kids & me over the summer to keep ourselves busy.

I guess it's all part of the expat curse! Feel free to pm me at any time if you would like a more private chat - i think we probably have a lot of feelings in common!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jemima55
Hi Toodlepip,
I`m from Knaresborough, now in the US, returning to our house in the UK this summer. I think you are very sane negotiating a prereturn contract and wish I`d done the same before we moved to the US on a (two years that turned into five and could have been even longer than that!!!!!!!!!) job transfer.
Thank you, I've had a few raised eyebrows when I've mentioned it in real life and of course there's no legal comeback if my OH doesn't stick to what we've agreed but it makes me feel better and it's at least some new ground rules (some of the 'clauses' are about our relationship and not Oz-specific).

Good luck returning to Knaresborough - we're that side of H'gate, I go to Lidl in Knaresborough!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Yes! I sometimes think I'll be so relieved when he goes but it will be very weird being on my own. We have done a few things (bought him a new wedding ring as his got lost years ago, and me an eternity ring) to show we are committed to the marriage. I am trying to plan lots of things for kids & me over the summer to keep ourselves busy.

I guess it's all part of the expat curse! Feel free to pm me at any time if you would like a more private chat - i think we probably have a lot of feelings in common!
I may well do that, as you said on your other post you do want to share experiences to connect with others who may be going throught the same thing but can sometimes feel exposed if you put in too much detail (well I do anyway)
I must say (changing the subject somewhat) that having not been on here for some time it's nice to be back. Have been lurking on some other more well known websites to see what's going on and some of them are brutal. Mumsnet has some scary women on there!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

aliceinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha, not so sure about strong marriage, we have very nearly split up over this! I even saw a solicitor back in January and we have been to Relate. We're not out of the woods, I am making a huge sacrifice for him and though he says he is grateful only time will tell if he really does appreciate it.
Be very very careful about moving if your not sure about a strong marriage. The last thing you would want is to be stuck in Oz, separated and not allowed to leave.
Partners you thought you knew,can turn very nasty in a separation.
All the best to you and your kids.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aliceinoz
Be very very careful about moving if your not sure about a strong marriage. The last thing you would want is to be stuck in Oz, separated and not allowed to leave.
Partners you thought you knew,can turn very nasty in a separation.
All the best to you and your kids.
Believe me I have thought this through and have had advice.Hence my pre return contract, i know it carries no legal weight but it makes me feel better. There's a lot more to our story than i've been comfortable putting on a public forum. I will cope in Oz whatever happens to my OH and me and if I do end up 'trapped' there it will only be for 9 years max as once my youngest is 18 we can go where we like.

But thanks for the warning, i've heard horror stories too. And have seen people turn out not to be who you thought they were.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
I may well do that, as you said on your other post you do want to share experiences to connect with others who may be going throught the same thing but can sometimes feel exposed if you put in too much detail (well I do anyway)
I must say (changing the subject somewhat) that having not been on here for some time it's nice to be back. Have been lurking on some other more well known websites to see what's going on and some of them are brutal. Mumsnet has some scary women on there!
I love a good read of mumsnet but don't think I would ever be brave enough to post on there!

You are very welcome to pm me like I say, it always helps to know other people understand what you're going through and I think the emigration experience is not easy to get your head around if you've never done it. And emigrating with children is always going to bring its own complications!
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:18 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Hi Toodlepip. Your situation is rather similar to mine, 19 years back in UK and my US husband is not happy and we are moving back to California in August. I totally understand how hard all the wrangling it is on your relationship, I have thought sometimes that this could break us up but I can't do that to the kids and I have no idea how we could work that out. I really like your idea of the pre-return contract, such a great thing to do so that you both know what to expect of one another and there are no hidden-agendas. I might take a leaf out of your book! Counselling is also really valuable, we haven't done that . . . yet. We too are going to rent out our house and I plan to come back here as much as I can. I just feel that my molecules are in alignment here - I feel relaxed in some way, as great as life is in California, my molecules were always a little off-kilter. I just hope that when we get back there my husband becomes a happy, joyous and appreciative person who I can get on with. Not holding breath!!! Good luck to you, I really feel for you.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:19 pm
Erica

Erica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to allErica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Erica
Hi Toodlepip. Your situation is rather similar to mine, 19 years back in UK and my US husband is not happy and we are moving back to California in August. I totally understand how hard all the wrangling it is on your relationship, I have thought sometimes that this could break us up but I can't do that to the kids and I have no idea how we could work that out. I really like your idea of the pre-return contract, such a great thing to do so that you both know what to expect of one another and there are no hidden-agendas. I might take a leaf out of your book! Counselling is also really valuable, we haven't done that . . . yet. We too are going to rent out our house and I plan to come back here as much as I can. I just feel that my molecules are in alignment here - I feel relaxed in some way, as great as life is in California, my molecules were always a little off-kilter. I just hope that when we get back there my husband becomes a happy, joyous and appreciative person who I can get on with. Not holding breath!!! Good luck to you, I really feel for you.
Sorry, 19 MONTHS not years! eeek.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Erica
It's so hard isn't it? The pre-return contract sounds quite clinical and business like and of course doesn't really carry much weight but it does at least establish new ground rules. I've also found the individual counseling I'm having helpful, my counsellor helped me with the contract.

All the very best to you, I read your thread below and it did strike a chord. We are strong women and we will get through this. I know exactly what you mean when you talk about your molecules being off kilter and feeling more relaxed here. I saw someone write on another forum that coming back to England was like getting back into your own bed and that's how I feel, even though it's still early days of settling back here.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, Toodlepip, I am sorry that you are being forced back - sounds to me like your DH needs to get some sort of intervention for his mental health before making major decisions like that one. The things we do for love, huh!!! Good luck with it.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Oh dear, Toodlepip, I am sorry that you are being forced back - sounds to me like your DH needs to get some sort of intervention for his mental health before making major decisions like that one. The things we do for love, huh!!! Good luck with it.
Too right! Without going into too much detail on a public forum I hear you re:mental health and have tried as hard as I can to get him to get help. It hasn't really worked out .

What will be will be I guess! I'll cope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.