Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bed time for Children.

Bed time for Children.

Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bed time for Children.

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Ladies, I've just had a great laugh at this thread. You're all British nannies.

My mum was a nanny before she married my dad, like the Upstairs Downstairs arrangement. She had "presence" the only time she smacked was a quick flip to get the attention. My brother and I were both born during the depression and she was always worried about our health and getting enough food and sleep. It used to annoy the hell out of me that I had to come in, even though it wasn't bedtime. We did lose sleep sometimes during the raids, although we got used to kipping on the floor. What really bothered me was that I was somewhat shy, and the other kids were building their social skills and I was being left behind, and I knew it, especially when the hormones started to do their work.
I'm not knocking my mum's mothering, it's always a judgement call, and within her priorities, she did the best job.

I would not have become the perfect person that I am without her hard work.

ps. Several Americans commented that my wife and I never gave up, we didn't relax the rules for our three daughters for our own comfort. Perhaps that's the difference. I should say that a children's play group formed with my Yorkshire wife and local American women who had the same attitudes as we.

pps. My mother's father was strict but would only punish for that which he had seen. He told Grandma that if she caught them, she should punish them, it had to be at the time for the message to be delivered.
Glad you enjoyed it, I was just relieved I still was not the only British Mum who was stuck in her ways, though not much wrong with that now after reading this thread, so Nanny 911 did not teach us any more than what most of us already knew
Old Aug 4th 2006, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hilda Ogden
My son is the pickiest eater, he was given chocolate pudding as a first food by his nan - cuz at least he was eating something (they don't know they have options at that age) - but to be fair, I didn't watch it as I should. With my daughter, we agreed not to let her have any (unnatural) sugar until she was 3. She will eat and try anything now, loves seafood, fruit, veg, you name it. We sit and munch on asparagus or blueberries for her fave snacks. I am sure that this was because we didn't introduce her to crap early. She does love her sweets now, but moderation is the key and she is fine with that.

My eldest was great at mealtimes,he ate everything,the youngest was a stinker!,he used to spit all the savoury out until I decided to put savoury on the spoon and then just dip the tip in the sweet!.....mean I know, but it worked!,by the time he tasted the savoury he'd already swallowed it!,and no amount of nasty faces could bring it back!,by the time he was old enough to feed himself he knew that no dinner meant no dessert,and I only ever make dessert on a sunday,the rest of the week is always a yogurt or a piece of fruit,unless I make a cake for the sunday dessert,then they got to finish that over the next few days,that was not very often.... because I'm not crazy about cake!...Sophia
p.s.My mum even used to tell me to put sugar in the kids bottles when I used to be feeding them as babies!!!!!.no wonder my brother had such a sweet tooth!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:13 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
p.s.My mum even used to tell me to put sugar in the kids bottles when I used to be feeding them as babies!!!!!.no wonder my brother had such a sweet tooth!
How are their teeth now? We were warned off this because it can severely rot the baby's teeth.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:27 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Hilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
How are their teeth now? We were warned off this because it can severely rot the baby's teeth.
My OH is a yank and he grew up on "jello water" which was that powdery crap jelly stuff they have mixed with water. (I miss the jelly squares that we used to melt in hot water!) Still has all his teeth but sure he would not have if had not had dental insurance.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Oh Lord!,no I never gave my kids sugar in their milk!,but I dare say my mum gave it to us kids,however we've all got lovely teeth,I had two operations on my gums when I was a kid,but that had nothing to do with any sugar,it was an inherited (from my dad) problem,I had four front teeth instead of two,so after the two ops, I finally got my two front teeth, when I was twelve!,after four years of braces!,then another two years after they grew to make sure they grew straight...since then every dentist I've been to has been amazed at what good condition they are in,although I've always been pretty obsessed about taking care of them after all those years waiting for them!...I am sure though that,that is probably why I hate just ordinary milk,I have to have a flavour in it...and I'm amazed I've got any knuckles left after all the rulers across them because I wouldn't drink the milk in school!....Sophia
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:15 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Hilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond reputeHilda Ogden has a reputation beyond repute

milk in school!....Sophia[/QUOTE]

Thatcher, Thatcher the milk snatcher!

The milk was always warm in school, put me off.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:37 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

milk in school!....Sophia

The milk was always warm in school, put me off.[/QUOTE]

I've heard this so many times and yet I've never seen milk not in schools in the UK for the younger ages. Yes, in the school my kids went to they had to pay for it (2pounds for a whole year I think it was) if you weren't on free lunches. There was always waste, though. There were few that drank all their milk, especially the older kids. Maybe it was because it was warm - I can't stand warm milk either.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 11:40 pm
Plaster Duck Lover

Originally Posted by Ben

The milk was always warm in school, put me off.
I've heard this so many times and yet I've never seen milk not in schools in the UK for the younger ages. Yes, in the school my kids went to they had to pay for it (2pounds for a whole year I think it was) if you weren't on free lunches. There was always waste, though. There were few that drank all their milk, especially the older kids. Maybe it was because it was warm - I can't stand warm milk either.[/QUOTE]

My son was robbed then. He didn't have mild in infants or juniors. I thought it stopped when I was in school. Curious.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:38 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard this so many times and yet I've never seen milk not in schools in the UK for the younger ages. Yes, in the school my kids went to they had to pay for it (2pounds for a whole year I think it was) if you weren't on free lunches. There was always waste, though. There were few that drank all their milk, especially the older kids. Maybe it was because it was warm - I can't stand warm milk either.
My son was robbed then. He didn't have mild in infants or juniors. I thought it stopped when I was in school. Curious.[/QUOTE]

It's the reason I can't stand milk to this day, having to drink it in school, YUCH!