British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Bed time for Children. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/bed-time-children-386881/)

britvic Jul 25th 2006 9:34 pm

Bed time for Children.

So what time do you get the Kid's off to bed? I've noticed it alot over here, little one's up 9 10 O'Clock under five's I mean, was talking to a Yank and she asked is that a European thing to get them in bed so early :eek: I dont think 7.30 is early for my 4 year old, would be interested to hear what you lot do :)

peterbainham Jul 25th 2006 9:36 pm

Re: Bed time for Children.

Until I was about 9/10 I had to go to bed after Wogan (7.30).

geordiegirl2 Jul 25th 2006 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
So what time do you get the Kid's off to bed? I've noticed it alot over here, little one's up 9 10 O'Clock under five's I mean, was talking to a Yank and she asked is that a European thing to get them in bed so early :eek: I dont think 7.30 is early for my 4 year old, would be interested to hear what you lot do :)

On a school night mine (age 13 & 11) are normally upstairs by 8.30, 9 at the latest. I have noticed their friends don't really seem to have a bedtime routine.

Rompers Jul 25th 2006 9:42 pm

Ours, similar ages to yours Britvic, are in bed at 7:30. The Americans we know seem to put their kids to bed much later - we know of one 7 year old who goes to bed at 1am :eek:

britvic Jul 25th 2006 9:42 pm

Yes my Parent's were firm on bed time also, but I am a great believer in Mum's & Dad's having a bit of an evening to them self's :)

Rompers Jul 25th 2006 9:43 pm

Yes my Parent's were firm on bed time also, but I am a great believer in Mum's & Dad's having a bit of an evening to them self's :)

Too right.

7:30 kids go to bed

7:31 Mum & Dad have G&T

Partystar Jul 25th 2006 9:45 pm

From 2 weeks old, Tyler went to bed at 7pm, 7:30 at the latest. Now, at 2 years old, it's more like 8pm because of his nap. Sometimes I don't put him down for his nap until 1/2pm (it's usually 12pm), he normally naps for 4 hours, which means he won't get up until 5/6pm, so it's a bit early to put him down at 7pm. So we keep him up a bit later, plus I will sometimes keep him up until 9pm if it means he gets to see his daddy. Sometimes Dev will go for days without seeing Tyler, so I keep him up so they can hang out for a little while.

britvic Jul 25th 2006 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Rompers
Ours, similar ages to yours Britvic, are in bed at 7:30. The Americans we know seem to put their kids to bed much later - we know of one 7 year old who goes to bed at 1am :eek:

Kid's need there sleep, it dose seem all rather strange to me, but then again mine stopped napping during the day by the time he was 3, he is ready for that bed time.

Partystar Jul 25th 2006 9:46 pm

What the piss?! :confused: Why would anyone do that?

britvic Jul 25th 2006 9:52 pm

Too right.

7:30 kids go to bed

7:31 Mum & Dad have G&T

Bloody right :D Routine is very important to under 10's at least.

Partystar Jul 25th 2006 9:59 pm

Kid's need there sleep, it dose seem all rather strange to me, but then again mine stopped napping during the day by the time he was 3, he is ready for that bed time.

Yeah, they do, Tyler sleeps 16 hours a day, wooohooo, I love it!!! :cool: :D

britvic Jul 25th 2006 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, they do, Tyler sleeps 16 hours a day, wooohooo, I love it!!! :cool: :D

Very good :) Mine likes his 12 hour's. I know it gets less as they get older, but wait a minuet, seem to remember my Teens not wanting to go to bed, but can happily sleep for more than 12 hour's if you let them :rolleyes:

Rompers Jul 25th 2006 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
What the piss?! :confused: Why would anyone do that?

The kid does what he likes. When he wants food or drink he barks instructions to his parents to fetch it. When he wants to go to bed (at about 1am) he goes to bed.

Partystar Jul 25th 2006 10:32 pm

The kid does what he likes. When he wants food or drink he barks instructions to his parents to fetch it. When he wants to go to bed (at about 1am) he goes to bed.

and this kid is still alive?!?! :D

britvic Jul 25th 2006 10:36 pm

Blimey, do you let your Kid's play with him :)