Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bed time for Children.

Bed time for Children.

Old Jul 26th 2006, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bed time for Children.

Originally Posted by Partystar
hahaha, never really thought of that. Actually thinking about it, someone did refer to her once, they said I sound like her, but I think it was only because I use the word naughty a lot!
What it's also wrong to admit that your Child can be naughty, well as much as I love him the sun dose not shine out of his ar*s
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:39 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

So we ended up leaving & going to 'time out' as soon as we got home, he did not like it one bit, but soon he'll realise the pattern.

I will not have him throw a fit in someone else's home, it's just not acceptable & why should he get to play at his friends house, if he's misbehaving, it's just not gonna happen! The other Mum's probably think I'm strict, but if it helps him be respectful, then it's worth it.
Good for you - Hold your ground, be consistent, and he'll pretty soon realise you mean business and that if he wants to stay and play, he needs to toe the line. And don't worry what the other mums think - if they think you were out of order, it may be that they are the ones you see in the checkout line at the supermarket whose kids are running riot and throwing tantrums while they stand there looking embarrassed and with that "Kids eh what can you do" look on their faces.....
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:08 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Major applause for Partystar. Glad to see that common sense is alive and well in some of the youngsters still out there!! *wink*

Kids scream out for discipline and structure up to age 7 or so. It is hard work but well worth it.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Mum, is that you?!?!

Just messing, I agree with everything you said, couldn't have said it better myself. I used to smack my boy if he was really naughty, but am now trying other things instead & so far, so good. I never bothered trying 'time outs' until he turned 2, as I didn't think he would understand. We started them not too long ago & they have been working really well. It's harder when we are out, as he is more distracted, but we'll get there, it's early days yet.

We went to a playdate earlier on today, he started being naughty, so I gave him a warning (he only gets the one), I tried to put him in time out, but he wouldn't stay, he kept trying to run off to play with all the other kids & when I put him back in the corner, he kept throwing fits. So we ended up leaving & going to 'time out' as soon as we got home, he did not like it one bit, but soon he'll realise the pattern.

I will not have him throw a fit in someone else's home, it's just not acceptable & why should he get to play at his friends house, if he's misbehaving, it's just not gonna happen! The other Mum's probably think I'm strict, but if it helps him be respectful, then it's worth it.

Ha!Ha!...are you the daughter I was meant to have?!lol
Good for you!,time outs are tough at first but it gets easier,I started by putting mine in their bedroom(the eldest),but then he'd just carry on his tantrum in there and throw his toys everywhere,so I decided a 'naughty corner' would be the better idea!,it worked great!....until the youngest came along,after 9 years!,then,the eldest would be sent to his naughty corner and the youngest would throw a fit because the eldest was a little bugger!,he used to stand in the corner and say to the youngest 'I like this corner,it's just mine,you can't come in it with me!'!,needless to say, then little'un,would go nuts because he wanted to stand in the corner as well but it had to be with the eldest!!!!ARGH!!...that was the point when the eldest got a good slap...to which he would say 'ouch!'then he'd turn to the youngest and say 'I like that smack!,it was mine!,you can't have one!'.....bet you can't guess what happened next?!.....I don't know how I wasn't shoved in a 'funny farm'!!.....I just hope when my eldest has kids he'll get a taste of his own medicine!!!......and I dare him to complain to me about it!.......Sophia
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:36 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Good for you - Hold your ground, be consistent, and he'll pretty soon realise you mean business and that if he wants to stay and play, he needs to toe the line. And don't worry what the other mums think - if they think you were out of order, it may be that they are the ones you see in the checkout line at the supermarket whose kids are running riot and throwing tantrums while they stand there looking embarrassed and with that "Kids eh what can you do" look on their faces.....
So far I've had to take him home early from playdates 3 times, I hate doing it, because I like hanging out with the other Mums, so I kinda get punished at the same time, but it will be good in the long run & I am more stubborn than anyone I know, so I can carry this on a longgg time if need be!!!

I totally agree about the other Mums, I don't care what they think! Plus, most of them have younger children, so they don't know about the 'terrible twos' yet, but they'll soon find out!!! I must admit, my boy is very well behaved, but he does have his moments, like all kids!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:39 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Major applause for Partystar. Glad to see that common sense is alive and well in some of the youngsters still out there!! *wink*

Kids scream out for discipline and structure up to age 7 or so. It is hard work but well worth it.
I have my Mum to thank for that, she is a great parent. She was a Mum & a Dad to 4 kids, plus loads of foster kids, she really is amazing!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:53 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
Ha!Ha!...are you the daughter I was meant to have?!lol
Good for you!,time outs are tough at first but it gets easier,I started by putting mine in their bedroom(the eldest),but then he'd just carry on his tantrum in there and throw his toys everywhere,so I decided a 'naughty corner' would be the better idea!,it worked great!....until the youngest came along,after 9 years!,then,the eldest would be sent to his naughty corner and the youngest would throw a fit because the eldest was a little bugger!,he used to stand in the corner and say to the youngest 'I like this corner,it's just mine,you can't come in it with me!'!,needless to say, then little'un,would go nuts because he wanted to stand in the corner as well but it had to be with the eldest!!!!ARGH!!...that was the point when the eldest got a good slap...to which he would say 'ouch!'then he'd turn to the youngest and say 'I like that smack!,it was mine!,you can't have one!'.....bet you can't guess what happened next?!.....I don't know how I wasn't shoved in a 'funny farm'!!.....I just hope when my eldest has kids he'll get a taste of his own medicine!!!......and I dare him to complain to me about it!.......Sophia
Hahaha, apparently I was a good kid, until I got to 6, then I got a major attitude, boy I was a sarcastic little cow, I blame the red hair!

We've been very consistent with Tyler, we never put him in his room other than to sleep, because we always wanted him to associate that room with sleep & nothing else, so far it's worked a charm! We store a lot of his toys in there, but he has no idea they are there, he still sleeps in a crib, so can't get out to explore & find them, which is great for right now. Once he gets a bit older we'll let him play in there, but for now, he is only allowed to play in the great room.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:57 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree about the other Mums, I don't care what they think! Plus, most of them have younger children, so they don't know about the 'terrible twos' yet, but they'll soon find out!!! I must admit, my boy is very well behaved, but he does have his moments, like all kids!
Ours are generally pretty good, but have their moments - like you say, all kids do eg we moved them from their high chairs to 'proper' chairs too early, and they used to get bad cases of "the wanders" during dinner (only at home - they were nailed to the chairs in restaurants ). I can remember the disapproving looks we used to get from my wifes sisters who hadn't got kids at that time. We were obviously the worst parents with the worst kids in the world. Those looks changed slightly when they had their own kids - make ours look like little angels most of the time (which they are definitely not!)
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:00 pm

[QUOTE=Partystar]We've been very consistent with Tyler, we never put him in his room other than to sleep, because we always wanted him to associate that room with sleep & nothing else, so far it's worked a charm! QUOTE]

We use the bottom of the stairs as our time out place - theres nothing there to distract them, plus if we're out and about, the mere mention of "they've got stairs here too, you know" is generally enough to rein them in!!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:38 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We use the bottom of the stairs as our time out place - theres nothing there to distract them, plus if we're out and about, the mere mention of "they've got stairs here too, you know" is generally enough to rein them in!!
Superb! Unfortunately, we don't have stairs!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
So what time do you get the Kid's off to bed? I've noticed it alot over here, little one's up 9 10 O'Clock under five's I mean, was talking to a Yank and she asked is that a European thing to get them in bed so early I dont think 7.30 is early for my 4 year old, would be interested to hear what you lot do
Guess it depends on the family. My girls were raised to be in bed by 7 up until the age of 8. After age 8 they were up until 8. After age 10, they were allowed to be up until 8:30 school days and until 9:30 on weekends. In the summer, however, the hours were a bit more relaxed as they were able to play outside and didn't have homework to do or to have to get up early in the morning.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:55 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rete
Guess it depends on the family. My girls were raised to be in bed by 7 up until the age of 8. After age 8 they were up until 8. After age 10, they were allowed to be up until 8:30 school days and until 9:30 on weekends. In the summer, however, the hours were a bit more relaxed as they were able to play outside and didn't have homework to do or to have to get up early in the morning.
I don't think the majority of parents nowadays have a clue, and that is because so many of them weren't raised right by their OWN parents.

I used to make mine stand with their noses against the wall if they were bad, until the age of 11 at least.

Trust me, after the second or third time of standing there, they would obey the 'mommy look' pronto!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha, apparently I was a good kid, until I got to 6, then I got a major attitude, boy I was a sarcastic little cow, I blame the red hair!

We've been very consistent with Tyler, we never put him in his room other than to sleep, because we always wanted him to associate that room with sleep & nothing else, so far it's worked a charm! We store a lot of his toys in there, but he has no idea they are there, he still sleeps in a crib, so can't get out to explore & find them, which is great for right now. Once he gets a bit older we'll let him play in there, but for now, he is only allowed to play in the great room.

Mitch, my eldest, was one of those kids,I could take him anywhere and he was an angel I never had a problem until I got ill when he was nearly 10,(the youngest,Donnie, was 15 months at the time),by the time I finally got out of hospital Donnie didn't remember me at all,and Mitch,no matter how much we tried to explain it to him,just never understood why I got ill in the first place,the hardest thing was that no-one was to blame for it,it was just one of those things that happen sometimes,anyway he was a monster from the moment I got ill,he was SO bad no-one would babysit him for my husband if he couldn't take the kids somewhere,it was awful,then,after I did get home with them,he played me up constantly(my ex,his dad,didn't help when he phoned him,he just egged him on,I found out later),after a couple of years of hell,he finally got his way and we sent him back to live in the UK with his father,he was 12 and a half, and I'd caught him showing Donnie(not quite 3)how to light a match in the bedroom!!!!!!!he'd got the matches from his friend at school,that's when I realised it was just too dangerous to let him out of my sight and I was just too physically weak to run after him as much as I would have to....as dreadful as it sounds,it was the best thing we could've done all round,even though he was just as out of control for his father,but he could run after him to deal with him.....
....as for Donnie,as soon as Mitch went back to England he was an angel,he's 19 now and still a really great kid/young man!!,and yet I brought him up exactly the same way as Mitch........so I know my illness was the cause of everything.
Anyway,consistency is definately the key....mine always played in the living room as well until they asked to play in their bedrooms,I think it's their own way of starting to become 'independent'........good luck!......Sophia
Old Jul 27th 2006, 10:56 pm
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Sophia_S
Mitch, my eldest, was one of those kids,I could take him anywhere and he was an angel I never had a problem until I got ill when he was nearly 10,(the youngest,Donnie, was 15 months at the time),by the time I finally got out of hospital Donnie didn't remember me at all,and Mitch,no matter how much we tried to explain it to him,just never understood why I got ill in the first place,the hardest thing was that no-one was to blame for it,it was just one of those things that happen sometimes,anyway he was a monster from the moment I got ill,he was SO bad no-one would babysit him for my husband if he couldn't take the kids somewhere,it was awful,then,after I did get home with them,he played me up constantly(my ex,his dad,didn't help when he phoned him,he just egged him on,I found out later),after a couple of years of hell,he finally got his way and we sent him back to live in the UK with his father,he was 12 and a half, and I'd caught him showing Donnie(not quite 3)how to light a match in the bedroom!!!!!!!he'd got the matches from his friend at school,that's when I realised it was just too dangerous to let him out of my sight and I was just too physically weak to run after him as much as I would have to....as dreadful as it sounds,it was the best thing we could've done all round,even though he was just as out of control for his father,but he could run after him to deal with him.....
....as for Donnie,as soon as Mitch went back to England he was an angel,he's 19 now and still a really great kid/young man!!,and yet I brought him up exactly the same way as Mitch........so I know my illness was the cause of everything.
Anyway,consistency is definately the key....mine always played in the living room as well until they asked to play in their bedrooms,I think it's their own way of starting to become 'independent'........good luck!......Sophia
Gosh Sophia, I'm so sorry to hear about your illness, I hope you are all better now. That must have been so hard on you all. It sounds like you did the right thing, it doesn't bare to think about what could've happened if your eldest stayed. :scared:

I'm sure once Tyler's potty trained he'll seem a lot older, but right now, he's still my baby!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

My mother still beats me when I'm naughty ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.