BBC

Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

New England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of light
Default BBC

Will hopefully be in the States for good before Thanksgiving.

I'm really going to miss the BBC, BBC4 in particular. America make the best dramas and movies but IMHO no one can touch the BBC for factual history and documentaries.

Is there any way that I will be able to watch BBC programmes in the US? I would happily pay to watch online. Please let me know if you have experience or have found a way.

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC

Originally Posted by New England Pete View Post
Will hopefully be in the States for good before Thanksgiving.

I'm really going to miss the BBC, BBC4 in particular. America make the best dramas and movies but IMHO no one can touch the BBC for factual history and documentaries.

Is there any way that I will be able to watch BBC programmes in the US? I would happily pay to watch online. Please let me know if you have experience or have found a way.

Thanks
There are ways to access the BBC iplayer over internet from the America. The BBC try to restrict it to UK residents only but there ways around it. I use my laptop and connect it to the TV. Its great. You can get ITV too. So don't worry you'll be fine.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:17 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Free browser plugins for iPlayer
paid for VPN/smart DNS to watch iPlayer
torrents
newsgroups
BBC America cable channel (least best option imo)

I use Sick Beard with SabNZBd to go get TV show series for me, they appear on my media player, stored on a NAS and I watch them on TV (I just type the name of the series I want, and they download by magic)
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

New England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of lightNew England Pete is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for those. So I'm taking it the options are not strictly above board but it's good to know there is a way. Isn't the BBC really missing a trick? they could easily go down a subscription to iplayer route if you're not in the UK
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Just looked at Sick Beard, looks pretty cool
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:45 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New England Pete View Post
Thanks for those. So I'm taking it the options are not strictly above board but it's good to know there is a way. Isn't the BBC really missing a trick? they could easily go down a subscription to iplayer route if you're not in the UK
No they couldn't, because then they could not sell the content to overseas channels and distributors at anywhere near the same price. Once they think they can recoup more money from subscriptions than from sales to distributors then it might change,
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

No they couldn't, because then they could not sell the content to overseas channels and distributors at anywhere near the same price. Once they think they can recoup more money from subscriptions than from sales to distributors then it might change,
Good point, shame though
Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:53 pm
Fair and balanced

Actually maybe I am talking nonsense, I seem to remember a "global" iplayer app that was being developed, I think to begin with it was just for European countries. I do not know what if anything became of it, might be worth a Google. Or someone else may comment on it.

Edit: oh..http://gigaom.com/2013/10/18/bbc-scr...ix-and-amazon/

Last edited by kimilseung; Aug 21st 2014 at 5:55 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

I personally use MediaHint which is $3.99 a month. It's a proxy add-on for Chrome and Firefox that spoofs your actual location so that the BBC, ITV, C4 think you're in the UK and allow access to their players.

Various free alternatives come and go, MediaHint was free originally but they all end up charging once they become popular and they need to recoup their bandwidth costs.

Last edited by rpjs; Aug 21st 2014 at 6:16 pm. Reason: Explain what it is
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm in minority but I find that BBC America and Amazon Instant has all the BBC stuff I want.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

I personally use MediaHint which is $3.99 a month. It's a proxy add-on for Chrome and Firefox that spoofs your actual location so that the BBC, ITV, C4 think you're in the UK and allow access to their players.
I'll definitely check that out, thanks
Old Aug 21st 2014, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts View Post
Maybe I'm in minority but I find that BBC America and Amazon Instant has all the BBC stuff I want.
and PBS
Old Aug 21st 2014, 7:31 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
There are also copyright issues, with US content being screened on UK stations, and films for which rights to screen in the US are held by a station or movie channel. The issues are many and various.

Like Duncan Roberts said, for some shows simply going to BBC America on your cable or satellite service is the easiest solution, and entirely above board.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't slingbox an option if you still have access to a cable TV system in the UK?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 9:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hola which for free, works well on desktop/Android...ITV for live is limited to the desktop as doesn't do live streaming on the app.

Media Hint is another option, though don't think it's free any more.

So many options these days though, ranging from free to a few bucks a month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.