Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Banks + brokers for Expats in the US

Banks + brokers for Expats in the US

Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks + brokers for Expats in the US

Originally Posted by LooPtruy
Actually, my employer has a Credit Union "inhouse"
They may possibly also give you a credit card too on day one
Old Dec 21st 2012, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks + brokers for Expats in the US

Hello, we moved here from Switzerland too, at the end of 2011 *waves*

We use both HSBC and Chase: HSBC were happy to give us accounts before we moved based on our UK relationship with First Direct, and give us a very generous credit card limit from Day One.

On the other hand, it IS useful to have a local bank you can walk into and chat to, and for doing things like cashiers' checks (HSBC can do them, but then they have to post them to you).

We don't pay anything for banking with Chase, as we have... um... whatever they call their premier status, which is dependent on having $15k with them. I do all my banking online too, but have wandered in once or twice to have them explain something to me, and one time I accidentally sent a utility payment to the wrong account number (first time it went, and I mistyped the digits when I set it up!) they phoned the electric company right then for me, and sorted it all out. I've found them very helpful, at least in my local branch. And their iPhone app is lovely; you can even deposit checks using the camera.

Security is pants compared to the Postfinance yellow doodad and card, though, but no worse than any of the others.

Good luck for your move - just ask if you have any leaving Switzerland questions, such as moving 2nd/ 3rd pillar pensions if you're doing that.