Reload this Page >

Banks + brokers for Expats in the US

Banks + brokers for Expats in the US

Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

LooPtruy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Banks + brokers for Expats in the US

Hi All

A question on banking in the US, for a newcomer into the country (relocating there in 2 weeks with my wife, no kids).

I am a young professional, working for a big Pharma and am relocating from Switzerland to Boston in 2 weeks. I do ALL my banking stuff online and I would like to keep it that way while in the US, making sure all the bills are directly debited from my account so I am not bothered about them, plus being able to make a monthly transfer of money abroad, back to Switzerland.

In Switzerland, I do not use any of the fancy banks like UBS or CS, but rather Postfinance. It works well and has 0 fees as long as you have around 7.5k USD on it.

My reloc company is recommending Citibank or HSBC, but with the caveat HSBC may not allow me to actually operate in the US as they are only in Miami for offshoring banking.

I have read nasty things about CitiBank.

With this, any recommendations at all?

Also important to mention I plan to open also an account to be able to invest in ETF/mutual/index funds, not in stock. Perhaps recommendations can also be around that?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19th 2012, 8:56 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banks + brokers for Expats in the US

Originally Posted by LooPtruy
Hi All

A question on banking in the US, for a newcomer into the country (relocating there in 2 weeks with my wife, no kids).

I am a young professional, working for a big Pharma and am relocating from Switzerland to Boston in 2 weeks. I do ALL my banking stuff online and I would like to keep it that way while in the US, making sure all the bills are directly debited from my account so I am not bothered about them, plus being able to make a monthly transfer of money abroad, back to Switzerland.

In Switzerland, I do not use any of the fancy banks like UBS or CS, but rather Postfinance. It works well and has 0 fees as long as you have around 7.5k USD on it.

My reloc company is recommending Citibank or HSBC, but with the caveat HSBC may not allow me to actually operate in the US as they are only in Miami for offshoring banking.

I have read nasty things about CitiBank.

With this, any recommendations at all?

Also important to mention I plan to open also an account to be able to invest in ETF/mutual/index funds, not in stock. Perhaps recommendations can also be around that?

Thanks in advance!
Vanguard. Fidelity or Schwab for mutual funds. They are inexpensive and give you access to all your funds online.

Most US banks now offer online access, bill paying and foreign transfers. Look at BankofAmerica, Chase etc etc.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC is no good if you're going to Boston (HSBC is mostly in NY, and I'm not sure about the advice about HSBC in Miami because you are going to be distinctly on shore in Boston), and Citi has too many mgnt issues, and funnily enough isn't that big in the US. I'd look at either Bank of America, or Chase, and you should be able to get free banking, incl on-line banking, so long as your salary is credited directly to your a/c.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 19th 2012 at 1:02 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

thanks then, either BOFA or Chase then for banking and will check those 3 brokers you mention. I mostly care for index funds with TERs of less than 0.3%...
Old Dec 19th 2012, 11:23 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

thanks then, either BOFA or Chase then for banking and will check those 3 brokers you mention. I mostly care for index funds with TERs of less than 0.3%...
All three of the brokers are good for those. Vanguard has some funds with ERs less than 0.1%
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

xe.com for the international transfers.

For a bank, TD or BoA for big ones in the area.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

never did a transfer of money with xe, is it really good? is it because of the exchange rate or the fees?
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

never did a transfer of money with xe, is it really good? is it because of the exchange rate or the fees?
Both, customer for 5 years and very happy.

Credit Unions are far better then banks...Look at www.alliantcreditunion.org
Old Dec 20th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Another vote for a local credit union, although it can be tricky to get an account with them when you've just been washed ashore.

My advice would be to check with local CUs (check eligibility criteria), then local community banks and only as a last resort go to a TBTF bank.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 1:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
Another vote for a local credit union, although it can be tricky to get an account with them when you've just been washed ashore.

My advice would be to check with local CUs (check eligibility criteria), then local community banks and only as a last resort go to a TBTF bank.
For CU's, you can join Rockland CU if you're a AAA member, which isn't a bad idea as there are plenty of other benefits from being a AAA member.

Chase and Citi aren't really options in the area either, if you want brick and mortar.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranston
.... Credit Unions are far better then banks......
Mom and pop grocery stores are also better than Walmart. It's easy to pass an opinion on banks v credit onions, and there are plenty of people who swear by CU's, but most people find the services provided by the large, and very large, banks to be good, or better. As with any large business there are a few customers who have a bad experience, but the truth is that all the major banks have upped their game in the past few years. Personally I'd go with a bank, a large one at that, everytime.

I do agree with xe.com though, great service, and I would recommend it to anyone, and, in fact I do.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 3:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...but the truth is that all the major banks have upped their game in the past few years. Personally I'd go with a bank, a large one at that, everytime.
Thing is though, they also tend to nickel and dime you far more, BoA are pretty evil for that kind of nonsense, so you do need to be far more aware, especially as there aren't that many big operators in the area compared to other places....but you do tend to find BoA ATM's all over the place, especially in malls, but then plenty of other banks will refund the fees for using other bank machines :/

Plenty of small to mid sized banks though like Middlesex, Sovereign etc, etc.

All really depends on what you're looking for and whether you're going to be moving around much out of the area/state.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, my employer has a Credit Union "inhouse" where I would be entitled to open an account, savings account, investment account, etc.

Perhaps after reading all these comments I should rather check them.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

If your employer has a credit union, join them for the day to day banking. I would still use the likes of Vanguard or Fidelity for investing, though.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mom and pop grocery stores are also better than Walmart. It's easy to pass an opinion on banks v credit onions, and there are plenty of people who swear by CU's, but most people find the services provided by the large, and very large, banks to be good, or better.

I prefer Walmart any day.

Not all CU's are the same, some are better then others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.