Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank help back home

Bank help back home

Old Apr 29th 2006, 5:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank help back home

Originally Posted by Thydney
You mean that old British bank the Honk Kong and Shangai banking corporation?
Midland or First Direct to you ......
Old Apr 29th 2006, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
You mean that old British bank the Honk Kong and Shangai banking corporation?
You mean the one started by a Scottish guy with it's HQ in London?

Last edited by anotherlimey; Apr 29th 2006 at 5:38 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Midland or First Direct to you ......
I think Midland got rebranded....
Old Apr 29th 2006, 5:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Dunno .... never been to the UK for years..
Old Apr 29th 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
ha, the thought really did cross my mind, apart from the fact that there is no hsbc here in indy. Otherwise i would prolly have done that. My hubby had hsbc when he was in NY, he hadda change it since they told him no hsbc here. If i was to change banks i would want to be able to go the bank,so that if i need to bitch i can do it loudly and in person LOL. I do know that my bank is actually a parent bank to a bank that i know is here in indy, so thats got me thinkin... I dunno. Still not being able to get hold of my mother, i keep getting that bloody (parden my french) bt call minder, ughhhhhh.
OK ! What about Citizens Bank ? They are after all Royal Bank of Scotland, do you have them in your area ?
Old Apr 29th 2006, 6:16 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
They got taken over by HSBC didn't they....kind of a rebranding I guess
Old Apr 29th 2006, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
They got taken over by HSBC didn't they....kind of a rebranding I guess
They used to be Midland Bank, they were taken over by HSBC who are always refered to on BBC World service as a 'British' owned bank.
Old Apr 29th 2006, 6:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the Nat West who are brilliant. They send all my mail to the US address. If you call them and explain your position calmly they just might waive the charges providing you don't often go in the red. I had a similar conversation with Nat West and said that I wanted to keep the checking account open as we intended to return to the UK in a few years (that was 10 yrs ago) they even gave me a free overdraft facility. As many others have said do not close the account, it could prove very useful one day.

I always use my UK bank and credit card for purchases etc. when I am over there it is cheaper than using the US CC and having to pay commission on each transaction.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 7:25 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Well I managed to get a hold of my mother and no help at all, apart from the fact that she tells me ive been getting statements with the name of the new account on them, i think i almost screamed the phrase "why am i only hearing this now" but theres nothing i can do until tuesday morning, so im hopin it isnt gonna be too much of a mess to clean up, but i think that might be wishful thinking. In the mean time, gonna have to figure out how to make sure the bank changes my acct, back to what it was or to just any one with NO monthly charges, and replacing the money taken out and making it back to damn normal all from over here, grrrrz
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:04 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so i spoke to my bank and i very much played the helpless female, and to be honest they were very very nice and accomodating about it all. They agreed to reverse the charges and i just have to in writing formally ask for the account to be changed and for my statements to come to indiana. PHEW now i just have to mail the letter and hopefully all will be good! Thanks for all the advice everyone, appreciate it and cheers
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so i spoke to my bank and i very much played the helpless female, and to be honest they were very very nice and accomodating about it all. They agreed to reverse the charges and i just have to in writing formally ask for the account to be changed and for my statements to come to indiana. PHEW now i just have to mail the letter and hopefully all will be good! Thanks for all the advice everyone, appreciate it and cheers
I've found it works every time in the UK, but don't think for one minute it would get you anywhere in the US.
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:02 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've found it works every time in the UK, but don't think for one minute it would get you anywhere in the US.
haha boy do i know it, I have to admit i have become so used to the american way that i was pretty much assuming i would have a battle on my hands, as i know if it were a bank over here theres no way they would readily offer reversing charges.
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

haha boy do i know it, I have to admit i have become so used to the american way that i was pretty much assuming i would have a battle on my hands, as i know if it were a bank over here theres no way they would readily offer reversing charges.

Actually, I have not found that to be the case. Having a friendly relationship with a real person at our local branch probably helps though. This relationship is something I have actively cultivated.
Old May 2nd 2006, 1:56 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Elvira
Actually, I have not found that to be the case. Having a friendly relationship with a real person at our local branch probably helps though. This relationship is something I have actively cultivated.
ahhh ur really lucky! we never seem to get the same person at our branch when we need something and if there has been any issues they havent been overly helpful, but we take what we can get lol.
Old May 2nd 2006, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

ahhh ur really lucky! we never seem to get the same person at our branch when we need something and if there has been any issues they havent been overly helpful, but we take what we can get lol.

You need to be friendly with the bank manager to get anywhere and our's doesn't seem too helpful. Although I bet she will be in future after I called a board member and complained about her, she soon sorted out the cock up they made with my international wire transfer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.