Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bank account in Black Hole

Bank account in Black Hole

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank account in Black Hole

I left the US in a hurry to care for a sick relative in the UK, and left a TDWaterhouse bank account open for an expected tax refund. I've not been able to return to the US since and not been able to access the bank account online.
I have found out that TDWatehouse bank accounts should have been transferred to a TDBanknorth account, but this does not seem to have happened to my account.
For the last three months I've been bounced backwards and forwards between TDBanknorth and Ameritrade (who took over TDWatehouse brokerage) but have not been able to locate my account.
Does anyone know enough about the US banking system to suggest a way of finding what happened to the bank account?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank account in Black Hole

Originally Posted by ricko
I left the US in a hurry to care for a sick relative in the UK, and left a TDWaterhouse bank account open for an expected tax refund. I've not been able to return to the US since and not been able to access the bank account online.
I have found out that TDWatehouse bank accounts should have been transferred to a TDBanknorth account, but this does not seem to have happened to my account.
For the last three months I've been bounced backwards and forwards between TDBanknorth and Ameritrade (who took over TDWatehouse brokerage) but have not been able to locate my account.
Does anyone know enough about the US banking system to suggest a way of finding what happened to the bank account?
Do you have a statement with an account number?

This sounds bizarre, but I dealt with Waterhouse (briefly!) and they sure weren't the best.

I think I would probably get yank-style hostile at this point, and demand they find my money and I didn't care who did it. If Ameritrade took over Waterhouse, it is their responsibility to find it, so I think that's who I would yell at. You would need the statement and account number I would think. I would suggest sending a letter registered mail, but I don't know if you can do that from over there.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
...I would suggest sending a letter registered mail, but I don't know if you can do that from over there.
of course they could...costs a bit international though.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:28 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the PR areas of the companies in question where they gladly expose their "email" addresses. From here, you can guess the format of other executives quite easily.

Send an email to one or two of the PR addresses and CC someone real important (CEO isn't a bad idea).

Stay REALLY polite and plead your case in virtually the terms you posted here and ending with an "please help, I don't know what else to do to get my money".

If the email repsonse back is unhelpful (unlikely) then turn the heat up and threaten the copies of the next email will go to the press.

I give it 10 days before you get your money.....
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:29 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Have you talked to their UK branch?

http://www.tdwaterhouse.co.uk/

Depending on the amount of money involved, have a friend here, buy one share in TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation, and then call investor relations to tell them that they are disturbed by your story, and they intend to attend the AGM and ask a question on this problem, because it shines a bad light, reduces confidense, etc. etc. They really don't like anyone interfering with the choreographed smoothness of the AGM.

http://www.amtd.com/
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:19 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Depending on the amount of money involved, have a friend here, buy one share in TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation, and then call investor relations to tell them that they are disturbed by your story, and they intend to attend the AGM and ask a question on this problem, because it shines a bad light, reduces confidense, etc. etc.
You're a crafty old ******, aren't you - that's a really good idea.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Find out the name and phone numbers of their board of directors. Contact the office of one of them explaining your predicament. That's what I did when I had problems with my bank...PM me if you want further details.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:20 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
You're a crafty old ******, aren't you - that's a really good idea.
Thanks, that's the greatest compliment I've had in years.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Thanks, that's the greatest compliment I've had in years.
Thanks to everyone for their replies.
But perhaps I should have phrased the question differently. Its not clear which of the two companies (if any of them) is responsible for my account. Remember that it was a 'TDWaterhouse Bank' account, and that company is no longer in existence.
So my question should have been: "How do I find out which company is responsible for my account?".
It may be one of the two companies mentioned, or a completely different one.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
But perhaps I should have phrased the question differently. Its not clear which of the two companies (if any of them) is responsible for my account. Remember that it was a 'TDWaterhouse Bank' account, and that company is no longer in existence.
So my question should have been: "How do I find out which company is responsible for my account?".
It may be one of the two companies mentioned, or a completely different one.
Well that took all of 10 secs
http://www.tdbanknorth.com/tdbankusa/index.html
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray
This is the communication that I discovered in January of this year, and the first time I'd heard of TD Banknorth. I've had numerous communications with them, but they have no details of my account. So there is no indication that they are the company responsible for the account.
As I said in my last post, finding the company who is responsible is the difficulty.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is the communication that I discovered in January of this year, and the first time I'd heard of TD Banknorth. I've had numerous communications with them, but they have no details of my account. So there is no indication that they are the company responsible for the account.
As I said in my last post, finding the company who is responsible is the difficulty.
Contact a member of the board of directors...post #7.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If they took over, then they are responsible, just because they can't find the details doesn't mean they ain't responsible...
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If they took over, then they are responsible, just because they can't find the details doesn't mean they ain't responsible...
Isn't someone mailing a statement on this account?