Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Implications of not being a citizen or resident for a Mortgage.

Implications of not being a citizen or resident for a Mortgage.

Old Apr 24th 2007, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light
Default Implications of not being a citizen or resident for a Mortgage.

Hello all,
I have a question regarding applying for a mortgage here in the US. I am on a H1-B, been waiting on Labor for 4+ years and am looking into buying a property to bring up my children

What if any implications are there if I am not 1) a citizen and 2) do not yet have a green card.

What could possibly happen if, I accidentally missed a check box that said I was a citizen? Could I get into real trouble, or would it be just a rate hike.

Thank you in advance for you replies
Old Apr 24th 2007, 5:49 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Implications of not being a citizen or resident for a Mortgage.

Originally Posted by tonyghiggins
Hello all,
I have a question regarding applying for a mortgage here in the US. I am on a H1-B, been waiting on Labor for 4+ years and am looking into buying a property to bring up my children

What if any implications are there if I am not 1) a citizen and 2) do not yet have a green card.

What could possibly happen if, I accidentally missed a check box that said I was a citizen? Could I get into real trouble, or would it be just a rate hike.

The only thing that will affect your interest rate is your credit score. I was on an L1 when I did mine.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

If you plan on buying a house, you plan on living in the US for the forseeable future so why jeopardize your future in the US by lying? You'd have more to lose than to gain IMHO.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

We have a mortgage, and I am on an H1B. What I would say is that the mortgage people couldn't care less about our visa status; it was the credit score that mattered. And since we had zilch US credit score, it was a long and arduous business to get a mortgage approved, in spite of extensive international credit checks etc. If we had our time again, we might have rented for at least a year first, but we mistakenly thought that it would be straightforward to get a mortgage. The other thing I'd add would be that if we had had about $40,000 to put down on the house, they wouldn't have been bothered about our zilch US credit score. But we didn't have that kind of money, and so we really struggled. An unhappy time.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

tonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of lighttonyghiggins is a glorious beacon of light

I have been in the country for close to 9 years now, I think my credit score should be around 700 or so. I also have a decent down payment.

I have been completely legal for 9 years, paid thousands of dollars to lawyers and it just irks me after 4+ years I am still not approved for labor, but thats another story.

I was really keen to figure out the legal implications, not that I was planning on misinforming, but rather if I had missed it on the form, would I be liable for anything

Thanks for the answers so far.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:38 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in the country for close to 9 years now, I think my credit score should be around 700 or so. I also have a decent down payment.
Claiming to be a citizen when not ..is taken very seriously ...
Old Apr 24th 2007, 8:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I was really keen to figure out the legal implications, not that I was planning on misinforming, but rather if I had missed it on the form, would I be liable for anything

Thanks for the answers so far.
AFAIK it is an *absolute* bar to both adjustment of status and naturalization...
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

They'll figure it out anyway seeing you have only been in the country for 9 years. Number 1.

Number 2, I don't know about CA, but in FL, you can get a homestead exemption, only when you become a PR. Before that, your taxes can go up as much as they desire. After that, 3% per year, no more.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

6 months into a H1b and have full mortgage approval from 2 reputable lenders, credit rating is more the issue than residency etc.

We have a good credit rating by doing very basic things and are just entering our 7th month.

Dont be done by them offering you a really bad rate either we got 6.25 on a big mortgage, although we havent bought the property as we havent found the right one yet, stand your ground if you have been here 4 years you should be laffin.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That would get you booted from the country big time.

As already mentioned though, it's all down to your credit history, some places might have a slightly crapper rate for not being a resident as they might think your a bigger risk of scarpering, but many won't, so take your business else where.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:19 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We were preapproved before we moved here. We were comming over to look for houses and the relocation company sorted it all out with Wells Fargo so that if we saw anything we could buy it.
We are on H1B and H4 visas.

The best rate they would give us though was 5.25%
We did put a biggish deposit down but at the time they preapproved us we hadn't sold our UK house.

Like everyone else has said though....tick the right boxes.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We were preapproved before we moved here. We were comming over to look for houses and the relocation company sorted it all out with Wells Fargo so that if we saw anything we could buy it.
We are on H1B and H4 visas.

We did put a biggish deposit down but at the time they preapproved us we hadn't sold our UK house.

Like everyone else has said though....tick the right boxes.
That's interesting. We were preapproved too, but only hit the problems when the mortgage application went to the underwriters, who kept veto-ing it and insisted on more downpayment. In the end, though, perseverance did pay off and we got a good mortgage with a 5% deposit, and 6% interest rate. There is no question that in our case the one thing that would have made the big difference was a larger deposit. They were really worried about just 5%, it turned out.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:52 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goodacre
That's interesting. We were preapproved too, but only hit the problems when the mortgage application went to the underwriters, who kept veto-ing it and insisted on more downpayment. In the end, though, perseverance did pay off and we got a good mortgage with a 5% deposit, and 6% interest rate. There is no question that in our case the one thing that would have made the big difference was a larger deposit. They were really worried about just 5%, it turned out.
Our "person" at Wells Fargo was very experienced with expat stuff and so we didn't have a problem with the underwriting bit, but we were promising them a big deposit.

We came over, viewed houses, chose one, paid the hand money and then we all had to wait for our house to sell .
Our realtor was also used to expat stuff and understood how you bought and sold in the UK and so she was able to reassure our seller.He was a bit nervous because we agreed the purchase in June and didn't close until late September when our visa let us in.

However, once we had all the mortgage arranged and we were just waiting to come over, we were handed over to an ordinary"person" at Wells Fargo who didn't have the expat knowledge and was a bit of a pain in the rear.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:25 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
You make it sound like a bad rate.

I agree with your next post though - follow through can be somewhat lacking once they think they have you. Let's just say that on the final occasion I had to 'visit' my so-called broker to clean up his mess, his staff did a quick exit out the back door and didn't return all day. The point was well received though, as he didn't make another mistake again.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 3:53 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
You make it sound like a bad rate.

I agree with your next post though - follow through can be somewhat lacking once they think they have you. Let's just say that on the final occasion I had to 'visit' my so-called broker to clean up his mess, his staff did a quick exit out the back door and didn't return all day. The point was well received though, as he didn't make another mistake again.
We thought it was a reasonable rate until we had been here a few months. It is a good rate but at the time some rates were lower (June 2005) and we didn't have any points. I'm still not sure what they are.
It all seemed so confusing at the time!
One of the hardest aspects of moving was trying to understand the banking and mortgage world here with only UK things to base it all on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.