Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Back in the UK..2 weeks now!

Back in the UK..2 weeks now!

Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

stllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nice
Default Re: Back in the UK..2 weeks now!

Originally Posted by aes1
I wll be back in England from the US end March, and then I am planning on leaving for Malta for six months. I understand you have to pay upfront for flat rentals there too, and they want cash! Just wondering how you did that...did you have pounds already, or did you transfer, bring cash on the plane??? What?? For me this is even more complicated because I need it in Euros!! No job, no foreign bank account, nor credit score!!

Stillurning.........where in SC were you?
I was living just outside Chester near Rock Hill, sort of halfway between Charlotte and Columbia I am sure you know.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Yes you will be up for 6 months rent. Also be aware of the credit check fees, plus application fees, and check in and check out fees, all to be paid by you. Also include council tax and water rates (drinking and sewage) in your calculations. This is standard in the UK. Make sure agent does not pass on 6 months rent to landlord but rather they hold it and trickle feed to landlord. Another shonky thing about the UK!!

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
6 months up front, nothing to pay then until the 6 months is up, then just normal monthly payments. We had to pay a deposit of 600 pounds which is returnable when we move out. (as long as house is all clean).
Cheeky isn't it, asking for 6 months up front. But with no jobs or credit score i suppose it's the only way.
But...if you are working can't see you having to do what we did.

Last edited by ahappychappy; Feb 20th 2010 at 8:47 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stllurnin48
I was living just outside Chester near Rock Hill, sort of halfway between Charlotte and Columbia I am sure you know.
I live in Charleston now but for 18 years I was in Upstate Greenville. Actually driving back up there tomorrow for a few days, then Charlotte. Final visit before the big move home!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stllurnin48
We ended up getting less for our house in the end. We settled on a price that was slightly higher than what we paid for it but once the appraiser had done his thing he priced it at about 10,000 less then our buying price so we had to go with that so it is the appraisal that will hurt. Still lucky to get a buyer though, I feel. What will you do long term?
I dropped my price to $33000 less than my buying price, but still not making much difference to buyers. Someone looking today ,
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

stllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nicestllurnin48 is just really nice

Originally Posted by aes1
I dropped my price to $33000 less than my buying price, but still not making much difference to buyers. Someone looking today ,
Good luck !!! Hope it works out! Let me know how it goes!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ahappychappy
Yes you will be up for 6 months rent. Also be aware of the credit check fees, plus application fees, and check in and check out fees, all to be paid by you. Also include council tax and water rates (drinking and sewage) in your calculations. This is standard in the UK. Make sure agent does not pass on 6 months rent to landlord but rather they hold it and trickle feed to landlord. Another shonky thing about the UK!!
yep. I spoke to a couple of agents and asked about the financing and she gave me whole spiel about the additional costs. Again, if you want it you gotta pay it I guess!
Old Mar 25th 2010, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

tiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nice

Hi there I too live in SC and I am thinking of moving back to York. I have 2 teenage boys , they are not keen on moving, it will probably take about a year before i get all the stuff sorted out , but I am getting more excited by the day. Anyway good luck to you all.