Reload this Page >

Back to Britain!

Back to Britain!

Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Nappster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back to Britain!

For a holiday anyway..

I've got a Bank of America checking account and a Barclays account in England - where I will be for the next month on holiday.

Does anybody have any advice on the best, cheapest and relatively easiest way of transferring a couple of thousand pounds ($3k) spending money back to my Barclays account in England?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:58 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Britain!

xe.com

Originally Posted by Nappster
For a holiday anyway..

I've got a Bank of America checking account and a Barclays account in England - where I will be for the next month on holiday.

Does anybody have any advice on the best, cheapest and relatively easiest way of transferring a couple of thousand pounds ($3k) spending money back to my Barclays account in England?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:27 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
xe.com
Second that - that's how we did it last month - give it 5 days or so to go through depending on how you want to send the money to them and have it delivered to your UK account - maybe a couple of days extra if you haven't set up an account with them before.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

WeepingWillow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nappster
For a holiday anyway..

Thanks!

Bank of America charge $45 to transfer money to any UK account, it takes anything from 2 - 4 days

Just did this yesterday to a UK account

Not cheap but hopefully reliable
Old Jul 31st 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Second that - that's how we did it last month - give it 5 days or so to go through depending on how you want to send the money to them and have it delivered to your UK account - maybe a couple of days extra if you haven't set up an account with them before.
I'll third this - however it takes a few days to setup in the first place, so make sure you get it going quickly. Also if you have someone you can trust you can just send a bank draft instead of a wire - if they pay that in for you (or you pay it in when you get there) it will save on the wire fee that is charged in the UK.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Longy
I'll third this - however it takes a few days to setup in the first place, so make sure you get it going quickly. Also if you have someone you can trust you can just send a bank draft instead of a wire - if they pay that in for you (or you pay it in when you get there) it will save on the wire fee that is charged in the UK.
xoom.com was quick to set up and I had my money in 5 days. You can only transfer $2999 every 30 days - I think you can increase it after the first transaction. Was pleased with the exchange rate, too.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 8:32 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Fourth vote for xe.com

With a bit more time you could have ordered a bankers draft from them which would cut out the charges...
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

For a few thousand you could just convert it in the US, carry the cash with you and deposit some or all of it when you get to the UK.

With BofA you can order foreign currency online that will be delivered to your local branch in 2 or 3 business days - last time I did this I am pretty sure that there was no charge for this service and the exchange rate was quite reasonable. There are also a few BofA branches in major cities that have a foreign exchange desk where you can buy foreign currency on the spot. There is one in San Francisco and I assume that there must be one in LA also so you could try that.

Last edited by md95065; Aug 1st 2009 at 5:41 pm.