Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

B2 Cohabiting Visa, SSN & Medical Benefits....

B2 Cohabiting Visa, SSN & Medical Benefits....

Old Sep 24th 2015, 4:31 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Cohabiting Visa, SSN & Medical Benefits....

Originally Posted by rebs
When you say you had no issues, does that mean you had an insurance claim and it was settled with no issues?

That would be my fear in that circumstance - ie the insurance company would determine that I was resident not visiting (using their own definitions) and denied a claim.
I did not have any accidents or insurance claims.

In NY at-least the OP's ability to get a license would depend on how long they were stamped in on their I94, 6 months would not cut it:

If you are not eligible for a Social Security Card, you must provide a letter from the US Social Security Administration (SSA) that states that you are not eligible.

The SSA Letter must have been issued within the last 30 days.

You must also show an I-94 with one of the following codes: B-1, B-2, E-2, F-2, H4, L-2, M-2, O-3, P-4, Q-3, R-2 or TD. At least 11 months of valid, legal status must remain on your I-94.

Exchange your out-of-state driver license | New York State DMV
Old Sep 24th 2015, 4:44 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87
We are in Delaware state - marriage is a year or two away so these are the issues we have to face until then
You are by your own admission "long term" partners, she is moving across the world with you and putting herself in a position where she is going to lead a bit of a shadow existence -- and all for want of a marriage certificate. Please reconsider the delay, for her sake.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You are by your own admission "long term" partners, she is moving across the world with you and putting herself in a position where she is going to lead a bit of a shadow existence -- and all for want of a marriage certificate. Please reconsider the delay, for her sake.
Agreed - or at the very least make sure she is fully aware of how restricted her life is likely to be until she is married and get a better visa status
Old Sep 24th 2015, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

GeneGenie87 is an unknown quantity at this point

How very confusing....

As she won't earning everything rent etc wise will be in my name alone. Except for a joint bank account.

In theory can a SSN office say they wont issue one but technically shes residential and the DVLA accept that?
Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I took a look at the website
Delaware Division of Motor Vehicles - Driver Services

she has 60 days to get a license.
on the website it says "Disclosure of the applicant's social security number is mandatory if eligible." Since she isn't eligible for a ssn you don't have to provide one. I would phone them on the number provided and tell them your visa and ask them what documents they will use instead.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

How very confusing....

As she won't earning everything rent etc wise will be in my name alone. Except for a joint bank account.

In theory can a SSN office say they wont issue one but technically shes residential and the DVLA accept that?
She is very obviously your dependent in your household.

I understand wanting to wait/ save up for a big wedding, but sometimes life makes different plans for you. You seriously need to consider a quick visit to the registry office or court house for a civil wedding. Have a big fancy "do" for friends and family later if you want, but putting some etherial personal preference ahead of getting your (both of you) life on a solid legal footing is, to say the least, ill-advised.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I second the advice to get married and bring her as a derivative of your E2. Even if it's technically possible to do some of the things she's planning to do on a B2 visa, I think it will create additional beaurocracy and paperwork that will hinder her settling in and make her life very restricted. DMV staff, for example, are not used to dealing with these kind of exceptions and may simply send her away, even though the website may say she is permitted to obtain a license. She will struggle to open a bank account or get credit. Are you sure your insurance company will even cover her on a B2 visa?
Old Sep 24th 2015, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

How very confusing....

See Post #16. She'd have to go to the SSN office with her passport and printout of her I-94 and they will run the info through the system and it will spit out a letter that states - on her present status - she is not eligible for a SSN. Take this to the DVLA and try and get a licence, try being the operative word.

It took me 11 months to get a DL when I first arrived as a dependent and I was married (and had a SSN from a previous visa). Cant imagine the pain she is going to go through being on a B2 to do anything.
I had a B1/2 for 3 years (not co-hab) and I couldn't get a DL with that.