British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   B2 Cohabiting Visa, SSN & Medical Benefits.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/b2-cohabiting-visa-ssn-medical-benefits-865651/)

GeneGenie87 Sep 23rd 2015 11:40 pm

B2 Cohabiting Visa, SSN & Medical Benefits....

Hello,

Just a few weeks away from our move now and i have a rather unusual question.

I am coming over on an E2 visa, whilst my long term 'domestic partner' will be coming on a B2 visa (renewable every 6 months for the duration of my stay) which means she will be unable to work.

My work place offers medical benefits which I can extend to my domestic partner, however they are asking for a social security number.

Does anyone know if this is reason enough for the state to issue her a SSN or not? Has anyone else experienced this before?

Noorah101 Sep 24th 2015 12:27 am

Re: B2 Cohabiting Visa, SSN & Medical Benefits....

No, it is not. She cannot get a SSN on a B2 visa, period. See if the insurance company can use her passport number as a unique identifier.

Rene

Pulaski Sep 24th 2015 2:16 am

Would an individual TIN work instead? They are freely available, from the same series of nine digit numbers as SSNs, i.e. do not overlap with SSNs, but are the last block - I think they are some (but not all) of the numbers starting with a "9".

Bob Sep 24th 2015 2:24 am

They don't need the SSN...it's basically so they can track you and go after non-payment.

If they won't use your passport number, they can use the generic johnny foreigner number for people not eligible for one that's 000-00-004

GeneGenie87 Sep 24th 2015 3:01 am

Thank you - finally got in touch with the insurance company and they've informed me that they can use the 'TIN' number - I assume this is supplied as a natural part of the inbound flight process and we won't need to ask for it specifically?

sir_eccles Sep 24th 2015 3:04 am

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87 (Post 11756828)
Thank you - finally got in touch with the insurance company and they've informed me that they can use the 'TIN' number - I assume this is supplied as a natural part of the inbound flight process and we won't need to ask for it specifically?

You need to ask the IRS to issue it. I can't remember the name of the form. W7 I think.

Bob Sep 24th 2015 3:07 am

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11756836)
You need to ask the IRS to issue it. I can't remember the name of the form. W7 I think.

Though you apply for it when you file your taxes these days I thought, rather than in advance like in years previous....so might not help the OP.

Pulaski Sep 24th 2015 3:42 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11756842)
Though you apply for it when you file your taxes these days I thought, rather than in advance like in years previous....so might not help the OP.

There are reasons to use an ITIN other than just filing annual taxes, so I would imagine it should be possible to apply for one other than as part of the annual tax return process.

ETA There are a limited number of exceptions that permit an ITIN to be applied for other than as part of an annual tax return. It looks like the easiet one to "create" would be to go to a bank/CU and open an interest earning savings account, then get a letter from the bank saying that you have opened an interest earning savings account and submit that letter with your ITIN application.

GeneGenie87 Sep 24th 2015 4:08 am

Thank you :)

So one final question (honest) - without a SSN i believe my other half can't apply for a drivers license, is that true & is there a way round it.

As much as she can't work she wants to volunteer locally and the transport links are hit and miss at best.

rebs Sep 24th 2015 4:10 am

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87 (Post 11756893)

So one final question (honest) - without a SSN i believe my other half can't apply for a drivers license, is that true & is there a way round it.

Whether or not she can get a driver's license will vary from state to state. The easiest way 'round it' would be to get married, then she would get a derivative visa based on your E2. That would make life considerably simpler in many respects.

tht Sep 24th 2015 4:12 am

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87 (Post 11756893)

As much as she can't work she wants to volunteer locally and the transport links are hit and miss at best.

Visitors can drive in the US on most foreign licenses. I had a zip car membership with a UK license while I was here on a L1a visa with no issues.

rebs Sep 24th 2015 4:17 am

Originally Posted by tht (Post 11756895)
Visitors can drive in the US on most foreign licenses. I had a zip car membership with a UK license while I was here on a L1a visa with no issues.

When you say you had no issues, does that mean you had an insurance claim and it was settled with no issues?

That would be my fear in that circumstance - ie the insurance company would determine that I was resident not visiting (using their own definitions) and denied a claim.

GeneGenie87 Sep 24th 2015 4:18 am

We are in Delaware state - marriage is a year or two away so these are the issues we have to face until then :)

sir_eccles Sep 24th 2015 4:28 am

Originally Posted by GeneGenie87 (Post 11756899)
We are in Delaware state - marriage is a year or two away so these are the issues we have to face until then :)

Wow, I didn't know Delaware had such a long waiting period :-)

Pulaski Sep 24th 2015 4:29 am

Originally Posted by tht (Post 11756895)

That is dangerous and misleading advice. Once you are "resident" in a state for DL purposes you are no longer a visitor. The state DL rules for residency are inconsistent with the federal rules for residency for visa purposes. Typical things that will make you resident for DL purposes, and therefore not eligible to use a foreign DL include buying or renting a house, or doing so with your domestic partner.

Driving on an invalid license risks your insurance being voided, so in the event of an accident you may become personally liable for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars in the event that you injure someone and/or bend their Ferrari. :eek: