All my vehicles have manual (stick) transmission
14.49%
I have both manual and automatic vehicles
21.74%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic or Manual (Stick Shift)

Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Automatic or Manual (Stick Shift)

Originally Posted by happynz
I don't have a car, but my vehicle has 10 gears. You guessed it, I'm on a bike.
Tractor trailers have between 10 and 16 with up to 4 reverse gears.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:52 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Wouldn't they come under "people that can't handle gears"?
em...could be...sort off...
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I know this has been covered in the past, but I find the longer I stay in The States the more my opinions change (read: become more American!)

When I first got here (11 years ago) I was a firm believer in manual transmission cars. I only drove manuals in the UK, liked more control over the vehicle and actively looked for the gear shift when buying a car.

Then about four years ago, when we were looking to replace my wife's car, the model we settled on only came in automatic. We were hesitant, but decided to give it a go - and it did have the "sportstronics" automatic gearshift, if we ever felt the need to shift.

Slowly I got used to the automatic transmission, especially when stuck in traffic. Eventually I preferred to drive the automatic car over the manual car. Then when it was time to buy a new car for me - I bought an automatic car too!

So, what do you drive? Automatic, manual or both?
Autos for me all the way. Last car I had in UK was an auto too. With the new electronic "grade logic" gearboxes and "drive-by-wire" stuff, hitting the gas pedal hard results in a fast acceleration and very little hunting up hills. They claim that you actually use less gas with an auto box now compared to a manual because the gear change is more precise.

My Honda rarely has a problem up hills and kicks down/accelerates really fast :-)

Iron-bru: I do like your ever-changing icons btw
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:16 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rushman
Tractor trailers have between 10 and 16 with up to 4 reverse gears.
I thought of that after I posted, but oh well.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
They claim that you actually use less gas with an auto box now compared to a manual because the gear change is more precise.
All depends on how you drive. The way I drive I probably get less mpg than the auto version of my car. But on the other side, I can easily coast in my car so I make some of that loss up. Also, I've never understood the logic in an automatic being better in traffic, I found it to be the complete opposite.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Also, I've never understood the logic in an automatic being better in traffic, I found it to be the complete opposite.
Cos you dont have to keep riding the clutch, and in traffic you dont need the extra control - what is the benefit of manual in traffic (i am assuming stop start traffic BTW)?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:33 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Cos you dont have to keep riding the clutch, and in traffic you dont need the extra control - what is the benefit of manual in traffic (i am assuming stop start traffic BTW)?
The traffic lights take a long time to change here and I put the car in neutral and put the handbrake on. It's really hilly here and I have become very good at hill starts but rather that than burn out the clutch.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

In an automatic you still have to 'ride' the break. Most of the time when I drove an automatic in stop and go you needed to get off the break and then get on the gas, it wouldn't kick in right away so you'd press a little more, then you jump forward a bit and have to get on the break again because the car in front had stopped in an equally sudden way. In a manual I find none of that, generally I don't use the break very often in stop and go, just bring the clutch up a bit to get moving and then back to neutral. Also, if you are on a downhill slope you can just whack it in neutral and either use the hand break or foot break to move. Also, well for my car anyway, you can go down to almost stopped speeds in 1st so a light tap on the gas is all you need to get going.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:33 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Automatic or Manual (Stick Shift)

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
In an automatic you still have to 'ride' the break. Most of the time when I drove an automatic in stop and go you needed to get off the break and then get on the gas, it wouldn't kick in right away so you'd press a little more, then you jump forward a bit and have to get on the break again because the car in front had stopped in an equally sudden way. In a manual I find none of that, generally I don't use the break very often in stop and go, just bring the clutch up a bit to get moving and then back to neutral. Also, if you are on a downhill slope you can just whack it in neutral and either use the hand break or foot break to move. Also, well for my car anyway, you can go down to almost stopped speeds in 1st so a light tap on the gas is all you need to get going.
I hope you break your brake habit!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Spelling was never my strong point.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Automatic or Manual (Stick Shift)

I'm a convert to automatics. Never really experienced them in the UK because they weren't widespread.

In slow moving traffic I often move the shifter from 'D' into '2' or '1', so that gets around most of Duncan's comments. I only have to press the brake when I need to stop.

And when I'm at a red traffic light I'll move the shifter from 'D' into 'N' and put on the handbrake. No need to sit there and needlessly apply pressure on the foot brake.

The only thing I don't like is driving up steep hills in the wife's car with its hand brake you apply/release with your foot. That's scary! Much prefer my car which has a proper handbrake - but its still an auto box.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:33 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I'm a convert to automatics. Never really experienced them in the UK because they weren't widespread.

In slow moving traffic I often move the shifter from 'D' into '2' or '1', so that gets around most of Duncan's comments. I only have to press the brake when I need to stop.

And when I'm at a red traffic light I'll move the shifter from 'D' into 'N' and put on the handbrake. No need to sit there and needlessly apply pressure on the foot brake.

The only thing I don't like is driving up steep hills in the wife's car with its hand brake you apply/release with your foot. That's scary! Much prefer my car which has a proper handbrake - but its still an auto box.
We had a hire car once with a foot applied handbrake. Really weird, I couldn't get used to it at all.