Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please

Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please

Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:29 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
According to the DMV website you can drive for 60 days before you have to get a NJ licence. We've been here 10 yrs and that sounds about the same timeframe we had back in 96.

Does he have it in writing from the insurance company that they agree to him driving on a UK licence? If there is an agreement at all I suspect its a verbal agreement which will mean Jack S**t if he is involved in an accident.

One of the reasons that NJ auto insurance is the most expensive in the US is because of people driving around without drivers licence/insurance.
He is a named driver with his UK license and number on the insurance policy documents.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
He is a named driver with his UK license and number on the insurance policy documents.
I am amazed... itshard enough to find an insurance company
that will take you on without a US licence..Progressive and geico
will but they only give you so long to get your US one ..
Old Jul 31st 2006, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I am amazed... itshard enough to find an insurance company
that will take you on without a US licence..Progressive and geico
will but they only give you so long to get your US one ..
Me too. Surely if you are legally required to get a state licence within 60 days of residency the policy is invalid.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
The guy I was talking about who has been driving on his UK license for that amount of time has only had a car for 2 years since he moved to NJ. The insurance company has not mentioned that he should get a US license and has continued the coverage without a problem (and are completely aware of the situation), and the premiums are not high (just going by what he said on that one because I couldn't possibly know if they are or not). Surely, if the insurance company is aware and do provide insurance based on this driving license then they would not be able to refuse to pay out on it. To be honest, I was shocked when he told me he'd never got a US license, I think he will eventually and if he was aware that he was required to then he might. When I first got insurance it was the insurance company that told me I needed to get an NJ license within a year so I'm not sure what company he's insured with that is allowing this.
I'm sure they are saying it's okay, they want your money, but unless you have it in writing that they will pay out in the event of an accident, they probably won't, and use it as a loophole saying something along the lines that they knew he was on a UK license, but expected him to get a local license at some point soon....
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:27 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
According to the DMV website you can drive for 60 days before you have to get a NJ licence. We've been here 10 yrs and that sounds about the same timeframe we had back in 96.

Does he have it in writing from the insurance company that they agree to him driving on a UK licence? If there is an agreement at all I suspect its a verbal agreement which will mean Jack S**t if he is involved in an accident.

One of the reasons that NJ auto insurance is the most expensive in the US is because of people driving around without drivers licence/insurance.
I was driving on my UK license when I had my fender bender, the insurance paid out.
I came to the States Jan 04 and got my driving license in Feb 06

Last edited by gruffbrown; Jul 31st 2006 at 4:34 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:33 pm
I Beg To Differ

BE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I was driving on my UK license when I had my fender bender, the insurance paid out.
But that is only because both vehicles and the insurance were in my name. You were just a guest driver. (Not that I actually read the thread and have any idea what you guys are talking about. Just a lunchtime drop-in. Is the cat alive?)
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:35 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BE Widow
But that is only because both vehicles and the insurance were in my name. You were just a guest driver. (Not that I actually read the thread and have any idea what you guys are talking about. Just a lunchtime drop-in. Is the cat alive?)
He's still alive, but mewking a lot.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:38 pm
I Beg To Differ

BE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond reputeBE Widow has a reputation beyond repute

He's still alive, but mewking a lot.
I didn't ask how you were!
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:39 pm

I didn't ask how you were!
I'm not the one leaving presents on the carpet, at least I think I'm not.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:42 pm
I Beg To Differ

I'm not the one leaving presents on the carpet, at least I think I'm not.
You know the old saying, when mom's away, the world is your litter box...or something like that. Sorry to hear about the crap cleaning duty. I'll be home soon.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:46 pm

You know the old saying, when mom's away, the world is your litter box...or something like that. Sorry to hear about the crap cleaning duty. I'll be home soon.
Are you typing while you're driving again? I've told you about that before.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you typing while you're driving again? I've told you about that before.
you not looking after the moggie..tut tut
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I came to the States Jan 04 and got my driving license in Feb 06
Maybe you were lucky...I've just read that you were driving on your wife's insurance but as a NJ resident you were legally required to get a NJ licence in 60 days. The same applies to USC who holds a licence from another state.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:26 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone actually answer the OP's question?

You can drive sixty days on an out of state license, in PA. get the physical and apply for a PA license, they take your out of state license away when they give you the PA one. I imagine you could keep a foreign one.

A friend of mine was caught going fast through a speed trap but they let him go because they didn't know how to write up a UK license.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
Did anyone actually answer the OP's question?

You can drive sixty days on an out of state license, in PA. get the physical and apply for a PA license, they take your out of state license away when they give you the PA one. I imagine you could keep a foreign one.

A friend of mine was caught going fast through a speed trap but they let him go because they didn't know how to write up a UK license.

There is potentially some loophole thats its 60 days from entry so it resets every time you re-enter? This could well be BS for residents!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.