British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/auto-titling-registering-insurance-pa-need-help-please-387449/)

Gripper Jul 30th 2006 4:53 am

Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please

Hi everyone

I would appreciate some advice.

The story so far.. short version! - questions at the end.

Came here on fiance visa

Married - filed all paperwork etc.

2 Yrs later - filed for removal of conditions - extended current permanent resident card for one year and waiting.

Few months later - Marriage breakdown :(

So i moved out last Thursday because it was all getting too much to bear.
My wife didn't appreciate this, removed me from the car insurance and demanded the return of the car saying she would report it as stolen.
I returned the car.
Now I'm stuck without a ride because both of our vehicles are registered in my wife's name.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to getting my full PA Driver's license (have learners permit and test is scheduled for August 12th.)
I have been running around using my UK License since I came here ( I have been stopped once by a cop and he didn't say anything about it).

First problem is that I don't have a car to take the test in.

Plan A - I asked to borrow my work vehicle but the insurance doesn't cover private use.

Plan B - I was thinking about getting an International Driver's Permit as these are valid in PA with a foreign license for one year. Next step - buy a car. I think I will be able to get insurance as the progressive website allowed me to select "foreign license" and I was covered using my UK license on my wife's insurance.
I can reschedule the test and I won't need an accompanying driver if I have the IDP (as per the DMV website).

Plan C - The only other option I can think of is to ask my friend to put me on their insurance (me paying the extra cost of course) so that I can take the driver's test. I don't want to really want to do this as he is already picking me up and dropping me off at work (he works at the same place too).

My questions are:-

Can I insure a car that I don't own to get me through the test ( I was thinking of insuring the Company Scion XB) and then switch the insurance to another car when purchased?

Can I title and register a car in PA using my UK license and an International Driver's Permit?

Can I title and register a car in PA with a learner's permit? I think this a no.

The ironic thing - my wife works at a Tag and Title place !!

Thanks in advance

Gripper

PS - yes I'm a dumba$$ for not getting my license sooner.

Ray Jul 30th 2006 1:24 pm

Re: Auto Titling, Registering and Insurance in PA - need help please

Just use a rental car for the test ....

Gripper Jul 30th 2006 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Just use a rental car for the test ....

DMV Website says that you cannot use a rental car.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-e...ling.shtml#Q15

:(

Ray Jul 30th 2006 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Gripper
DMV Website says that you cannot use a rental car.
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-e...ling.shtml#Q15

Sorry !! ..my State you can ....

NC Penguin Jul 30th 2006 2:12 pm

Hi everyone

Came here on fiance visa

2 Yrs later - filed for removal of conditions - extended current permanent resident card for one year and waiting.

My wife didn't appreciate this, removed me from the car insurance and demanded the return of the car saying she would report it as stolen.
I returned the car.
Now I'm stuck without a ride because both of our vehicles are registered in my wife's name.

Unfortunately I haven't got round to getting my full PA Driver's license (have learners permit and test is scheduled for August 12th.)
I have been running around using my UK License since I came here ( I have been stopped once by a cop and he didn't say anything about it).

Plan A - I asked to borrow my work vehicle but the insurance doesn't cover private use.

Plan B - I was thinking about getting an International Driver's Permit as these are valid in PA with a foreign license for one year. Next step - buy a car. I think I will be able to get insurance as the progressive website allowed me to select "foreign license" and I was covered using my UK license on my wife's insurance.
I can reschedule the test and I won't need an accompanying driver if I have the IDP (as per the DMV website).

Plan C - The only other option I can think of is to ask my friend to put me on their insurance (me paying the extra cost of course) so that I can take the driver's test. I don't want to really want to do this as he is already picking me up and dropping me off at work (he works at the same place too).

Can I insure a car that I don't own to get me through the test ( I was thinking of insuring the Company Scion XB) and then switch the insurance to another car when purchased?

Can I title and register a car in PA using my UK license and an International Driver's Permit?

Can I title and register a car in PA with a learner's permit? I think this a no.

Thanks in advance

Gripper

What I find hard to believe is that you've been living in the US for at least two years and you didn't get a full drivers license.

It may be true in your state that if you have a Learners Permit, there's restrictions about where you can drive on it and that you have to be accompanied? It is in NC when I had my Learners Permit.

If that's the case, then you've got additional issues to deal with as well as finding a vehicle (i.e. you can't drive yourself to the DMV office for the test).

NC Penguin

TruBrit Jul 30th 2006 2:19 pm

omg gripper what a mess...you're gonna have to get a grip on this for sure ;)

err i'd go with plan c besides you're going to have to get someone to go with you to the test centre anyway....good luck :)

blaze Jul 30th 2006 3:13 pm

Hi everyone

Came here on fiance visa

I returned the car.

Thanks in advance

Gripper

The fact that you have been driving illegally for ages (you can't use a British license for as long as you have!) is I guess besides the point. Anyway, am I wrong in saying that in the US it's the car that is insured not the driver as in the UK? Anytime I have had visitors over from home they have always been allowed to drive my vehicles without added insurance.

Lottie Jul 30th 2006 3:19 pm

Hi everyone

Came here on fiance visa

I returned the car.

Thanks in advance

Gripper

Plan A - Oh dear

Plan B - How will you get the international driver's permit? I thought you would need to go back to the UK and get one in person from the Post Office.

Plan C - Maybe

Plan D - Use a driving school's car for the test?

Lottie

PS - You muppet :)

Ray Jul 30th 2006 3:21 pm

Go back to the UK ..for a vacation ..and start all over again ...

Bob Jul 30th 2006 3:31 pm

the international permit, that's good for a year, but if you become resident in a state it isn't, and it's not a drivers licence, but just something with your photo and translations of your drivers licence..

And using a mates car and insurance, well insurance tends to cover the car, and not specifically the driver, so borrowing a car for the day or so won't be a problem unless you plan on being a long term driver...but then that could vary by state, so worth double checking.

neil Jul 30th 2006 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by blaze
The fact that you have been driving illegally for ages (you can't use a British license for as long as you have!) is I guess besides the point. Anyway, am I wrong in saying that in the US it's the car that is insured not the driver as in the UK? Anytime I have had visitors over from home they have always been allowed to drive my vehicles without added insurance.

Where does it say it's illegal to drive that long on a foreign license? A friend of mine has been in the US for over 10 years and still uses his UK licence and has had no issues with being a named driver on his (USC) wife's insurance with it (he's been pulled over a couple of times and it's not been an issue).

TruBrit Jul 30th 2006 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by neil
Where does it say it's illegal to drive that long on a foreign license? A friend of mine has been in the US for over 10 years and still uses his UK licence and has had no issues with being a named driver on his (USC) wife's insurance with it (he's been pulled over a couple of times and it's not been an issue).

i guess it varies state to state and maybe insurance company to insurance company...our insurance company here allowed me to drive a year on my brit licence then had to take my texas test....no probs.

Ray Jul 30th 2006 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by neil

Every State varies.. from 30 days to one year ...... I surprised at the Insurance company ..there is none that I know off that would allow that ..

TruBrit Jul 30th 2006 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Every State varies.. from 30 days to one year ...... I surprised at the Insurance company ..there is none that I know off that would allow that ..

i think partystar drove for 2 maybe 3 yrs without taking her USA test but not heard of 10 yrs

Bob Jul 30th 2006 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

They might not realise it either, or if anything happens will say the policy is voided because of the license...