Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Auto Insurance / Credit History / Trailing Spouse question

Auto Insurance / Credit History / Trailing Spouse question

Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auto Insurance / Credit History / Trailing Spouse question

Originally Posted by sangiano
Hi Fatbrit,

Thanks for the guide.

When you say "both cars in both your names" is that both Titling and Registration.
I'm thinking Registration is the important one, since the Title is, in many cases held by a finance company.
In our household with NYS DMV, we have three vehicles. I have a 2005 car, hubby has a motorcycle and a Isuzu truck.

The DMV registration for the car is in my name only; the truck and bike are in his name only; the car loan is in my name only; his truck loan is in his name only; the bike is paid for.

We have one insurance policy with GEICO. Two names on the policy but the cars are listed as car 90% useage to me only; truck and bike 100% useage to hubby only.

We do not have titles to either financed vehicle but will receive it from the finance company after the loan is paid in full. The insurance lists the finance company for purposes of collison and comprehension as they are notified of damage to the vehicles and when repairs have been made since the vehicle is the collateral for the loan.

I also looked it up at http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...6,00.html#itin

I don't qualify under any exceptions, so the W-7 can only be submitted with a tax return.
When will you and your wife be here, if you are not here already? Tax filing must be done by April 15 for the previous year so it is not all that long until a wait to apply for an ITIN.

Last edited by Rete; Oct 8th 2007 at 2:54 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:00 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Strange I have had a GEICO policy since my first husband was employed in the government back in 1972. Have had the present policy with them now since 1976. Like I said until the last ten years, my credit rating was minus 0 as a single parent raising two girl without child support.
maybe you were grandfathered in

its was about 4 years ago I called them for a quote and they refused to quote me without me giving them my ssn. When asked the reason they said they need to pull my credit

i found farm bureau to be massively cheaper anyway and they treated me as though i had a long term blemishless us driving record
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

When will you and your wife be here, if you are not here already? Tax filing must be done by April 15 for the previous year so it is not all that long until a wait to apply for an ITIN.
If they arrive late December and don't even earn enough to require a tax return, think it'd be worth investigating filing one anyway (if possible) just to get the ITIN issued.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

I
We plan on arriving from Italy via the UK on about 1st February 2008. If memory serves me correctly, the normal US tax year runs Jan-Dec, so it will be a long time before our first tax return is filed.

We had hoped to be there in Oct 2007 but due to c0ck up / conspiracy it's all become a bit drawn out.

We're having an orientation / house-hunting trip in November, so I'll get a chance to see what I'm letting myself in for.

Then of course there's the visa interview to get through in London. Unfortunately, we can't do that until we're back in the UK for a while because we won't be able to get back to Italy until the Embassy returns our passports.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rete;5400889]I've never heard that in all my driving life (over 40 years now) and I've been the principal policyholder for most of those years with children on the policy and a credit rating that should have been buried and kept as a dark family secret.

Maybe thats why you pay $1200 a month though!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Big D;5402127]
I've never heard that in all my driving life (over 40 years now) and I've been the principal policyholder for most of those years with children on the policy and a credit rating that should have been buried and kept as a dark family secret.

Maybe thats why you pay $1200 a month though!
I've been checking out car insurance over the last week or so and every company has asked for my ssn#
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Norri;5402168]
Originally Posted by Big D
I've been checking out car insurance over the last week or so and every company has asked for my ssn#
They have always asked for it whenever I have had a quote. I always thought it was mad to look at your credit history for insurance as how does it affect the way you drive?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 10:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Norri;5402168]
Originally Posted by Big D
My HOA had the cheek to ask for my SSN. I simply told 'em to eff off.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My HOA had the cheek to ask for my SSN. I simply told 'em to eff off.
LOL - how mad!

Last edited by Rete; Oct 9th 2007 at 1:05 am. Reason: Fixed quote to credit the correct person
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:53 am
Just Joined

ApplyDapply is an unknown quantity at this point

Something that I found shocking, is that if you have been driving in the UK or other European country for some years, such history it is completely disregarded by USA car insurers and you are treated like a 16-year old driving for the first time.

The fact that you have come from a democratic, capitalist country with proper systems in place to record people's driving history, seems to count for zippo to the USA car insurers, who seem unable or disinterested in seeking that information and crediting you with good driving record if you have one.
And this is in a state with no alternative to car driving for transportation.

While still looking for a car, one large insurer (who quotes other insurers also) offered to insure me under a non-owners (aka binder/liability) policy (which is needed in order to get a driving license where I am) at the very kind price of $980 for 6-months. This is just liability insurance and wouldn't cover me for any damage to the car I was driving when I got one in the event of a collison. I was advised that if I wanted to add full coverage to my insurance, my premium could rise to around $2000 every 6 momnths, or $4000 per year to insure me. This is not a workable sum for me or I suspect most people.

I love it here but it seems bizarre that a country built on immigrants, doesn't have proper systems in place to handle new immigrants in such a vital area as car driving and car insurance. When I quizzed some insurance people, they were a little perplexed by my questioning and didn't really have real answers for me. Maybe they don't get many immgrants here?

Last edited by ApplyDapply; Oct 11th 2007 at 5:57 am. Reason: added some text
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:08 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If they arrive late December and don't even earn enough to require a tax return, think it'd be worth investigating filing one anyway (if possible) just to get the ITIN issued.
I think I applied for ITIN for myself and children (H4) in order to file tax return if that makes sense.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:12 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ApplyDapply
I love it here but it seems bizarre that a country built on immigrants, doesn't have proper systems in place to handle new immigrants in such a vital area as car driving and car insurance. When I quizzed some insurance people, they were a little perplexed by my questioning and didn't really have real answers for me. Maybe they don't get many immgrants here?

When I was here the first time I remember trying to show my kids' UK medical records to the school secretary who wouldn't accept them, when I asked why she snarled "You're in the State of California now." This seems to echo the general attitude that it has to be done by the rules.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ApplyDapply
Something that I found shocking, is that if you have been driving in the UK or other European country for some years, such history it is completely disregarded by USA car insurers and you are treated like a 16-year old driving for the first time.

The fact that you have come from a democratic, capitalist country with proper systems in place to record people's driving history, seems to count for zippo to the USA car insurers, who seem unable or disinterested in seeking that information and crediting you with good driving record if you have one.
And this is in a state with no alternative to car driving for transportation.

While still looking for a car, one large insurer (who quotes other insurers also) offered to insure me under a non-owners (aka binder/liability) policy (which is needed in order to get a driving license where I am) at the very kind price of $980 for 6-months. This is just liability insurance and wouldn't cover me for any damage to the car I was driving when I got one in the event of a collison. I was advised that if I wanted to add full coverage to my insurance, my premium could rise to around $2000 every 6 momnths, or $4000 per year to insure me. This is not a workable sum for me or I suspect most people.

I'm afraid the insurance company thinks they have quite a proper policy - they make plenty of money off it.

I'm going to have to check again, but I have State Farm - and I thought I remembered them saying my fiance wouldn't get a high rate (on my policy) even though he didn't have any driving experience because he was above a certain age. But maybe I'm mistaken, I'll have to check again.

Actually, even the teenager I had on the policy didn't pay nearly the amounts you folks are talking about. She was primary driver on a car, and I think it was maybe 4-500 for 6 months.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:40 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
credit score can have some effect on insurance premiums, this is a fact...geico does for example (according to the rep I spoke to ages ago)
GEICO was actually one of the first (of not the first) companies to use credit scores in setting premiums, iirc.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:58 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard that in all my driving life (over 40 years now) and I've been the principal policyholder for most of those years with children on the policy and a credit rating that should have been buried and kept as a dark family secret.

It will come up only if you are a one car household. If each member has a car then the owner of the car is considered the primary driver. We are asked when adding a new car who will be the principle driver.

Of course. You will qualify for discounts based on multi-cars, driving experience, age, accident and traffic violation history and most companies give a 5 to 10% discount for taking a defensive driving class once every three years.
I am USC, hubby is UKC. I am primary insurance holder. He doesn't have his SSN either. I even have my 18-year-old daughter on my insurance, even though she lives with her father and the car she drives is in his name. Everything is legal and upfront also......my agent knows everything, no problem.
\
I have State Farm....have had it for 15 years.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Oct 11th 2007 at 2:00 pm.