Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Attending college on green card.

Attending college on green card.

Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attending college on green card.

Originally Posted by lisa67
Just thought, it may be a 3 month residency rule for the county but it may be a one year residency rule for the state.
It's not by county or state. Maryland Law allows the board of trustees/regents at each school to determine the residency requirements for local tuition rates. For Montgomery College (a very good community college by the way), it's 3 months. For the University of Maryland (a very good university by the way), it's 12 months.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

ZeeBrainY is an unknown quantity at this point

MarylandNed that's perfect! I'm actually thinking of transferring to UM College Park after the first two years at Montgomery College. md95065 thanks for the tip. I had no idea Selective Service was even required as a prerequisite when applying for financial aid. I'd do that first thing. SalopianFunk I need to shoot you an email or private message or something. You're the first person I've come across that is attending college on green(That is if you are on green and not yet a citizen).
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My husband attended university on a green card. He had no issues obtaining FAFSA funding - all loans, btw. When he became a citizen a few years later, we simply changed his status with FAFSA (after we updated the Social Security Administration). He had a little bit of a credit history through me (I'm from the US), and he didn't need a co-signer for the federal loans.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZeeBrainY
MarylandNed that's perfect! I'm actually thinking of transferring to UM College Park after the first two years at Montgomery College. md95065 thanks for the tip. I had no idea Selective Service was even required as a prerequisite when applying for financial aid. I'd do that first thing. SalopianFunk I need to shoot you an email or private message or something. You're the first person I've come across that is attending college on green(That is if you are on green and not yet a citizen).
Plenty of people are PR's and attend college in the US. And plenty of people attend MC and transfer to UMD College Park or other universities inside or outside Maryland.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's not by county or state. Maryland Law allows the board of trustees/regents at each school to determine the residency requirements for local tuition rates. For Montgomery College (a very good community college by the way), it's 3 months. For the University of Maryland (a very good university by the way), it's 12 months.
Ah, got it.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Funny how life turned out. One year down the line, and I found myself settling down in Atlanta,GA and not MD as I planned. I absolutely love it here. MD was too cold for me. If someone sees this post again, I have another question ask.

So I'm 25 now and I have been working since December 2012. I only worked one week last year and made $1400 and I filed that tax return. Fast forward September 2013 and my gross is currently at $24600. It might hit $30k by the time I file my taxes. And I am single with no dependents by the way.I am starting school next spring in Jan 2014. Here's my question.

1) What are my chances of getting a Federal Pell Grant? I read they award up to $5K a year depending on family income. According to the fafsa grant/loan app people earning over $25,000 and have a single family receive no Pell Grants at all. That was according to that app. However, I met somebody that claimed only his son on his return and earned $42K and was awarded $5k in Pell grants. I need your input on this one guys.

2) Are they going to use my 2013 tax return? Because by the time I'm applying, which is in like 2 months I wont have my 2013 return ready for Jan 2014. I am going to ask my school that but if you guys have any ideas about that go ahead and throw'em out. Thanks in Advance.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm 25 now and I have been working since December 2012. I only worked one week last year and made $1400 and I filed that tax return. Fast forward September 2013 and my gross is currently at $24600. It might hit $30k by the time I file my taxes. And I am single with no dependents by the way.I am starting school next spring in Jan 2014. Here's my question.

1) What are my chances of getting a Federal Pell Grant?
You've not told us if you registered for Selective Service (you said you intended to, but did you complete the process?).
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how life turned out. One year down the line, and I found myself settling down in Atlanta,GA and not MD as I planned. I absolutely love it here. MD was too cold for me. If someone sees this post again, I have another question ask.

1) What are my chances of getting a Federal Pell Grant? I read they award up to $5K a year depending on family income. According to the fafsa grant/loan app people earning over $25,000 and have a single family receive no Pell Grants at all. That was according to that app. However, I met somebody that claimed only his son on his return and earned $42K and was awarded $5k in Pell grants. I need your input on this one guys.

2) Are they going to use my 2013 tax return? Because by the time I'm applying, which is in like 2 months I wont have my 2013 return ready for Jan 2014. I am going to ask my school that but if you guys have any ideas about that go ahead and throw'em out. Thanks in Advance.
By listing yourself as independent for your tax return, your financial status shouldn't be affected negatively too much, if at all. That being said, I'm not sure how that may adjust something federally distributed.

You will be expected to list what oyu can for FAFSA, and readjust it once you get your returns. Good job on getting into college, man, congrats.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:20 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you are denied a Pell Grant based on the FAFSA, you may still go and speak to the financial aid counselors at your school. If your circumstances warrant, they can help you qualify and get aid. They did this for me when my family did not qualify per tax returns but my father had just lost his job. They were able to find extra aid for me and also change the FAFSA to reflect our changed circumstances.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses guys. And yes I registered for selective service just as I was advised to. I got my confirmation letter from selective service last year. So that part's covered. And that's good info Speedwell I had no idea the financial aid office can be that flexible. I'm really hoping to get some funds from the Pell grant because that could mean I could do my first 2 years debt free. Which is huge for me.