Wikiposts

Arnie?

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arnie?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I always say this during election time...I think it's disgusting the amount of money spent. It seems that in most cases he/she who has the most money to spend wins. IMO it should be capped.
Never going to happen. In fact this Supreme Court decision has made the situation far worse in this regard:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/us.../22scotus.html
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 5:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Never going to happen. In fact this Supreme Court decision has made the situation far worse in this regard:

I know but it doesn't change my opinion.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
(on another topic, I did have to laugh a little this morning when they interviewed someone from the prop 19 legalise canabis campaign that failed, she said that she was disappointed, but said that she personally never made it to the polling booth, she just got too busy.....)
Well, you know how distracted people get when they're stoned.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:48 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, I think that a lot of people voted for "not Meg Whitman".
Agreed, the amount she spent on advertising her campaign was obscene.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:15 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd personally like to thank Ms Whitman for putting an extra $140 million into the California economy - next time, do you think you could put that directly to education & the care of children?
(apparently that's what she spent of her personal fortune in the election campaign)
Cut out the middle (wo)man?
You make a serious point though .. the money spent on the election (I think I heard $4 billion nationwide on NPR this morning??) is money that will support jobs & services and stimulate the economy just like any other random spending on goods & services. In other words a proportion of the money spent will end up putting food on the table for working people.. For instance, I think the Post Office is a good thing; we get daily mail delivery, provides employment etc. etc. All those bloody silly election flyers that I've been recycling every day for the last several weeks are delivered by the post office and bring in useful income for them.

Some of this money came from me and other folks, $25 to this or that candidate. If tens of millions of $$ came from Meg Whitman and other plutocrats, then all the better.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Some of this money came from me and other folks, $25 to this or that candidate. If tens of millions of $$ came from Meg Whitman and other plutocrats, then all the better.
... especially when they lose.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have to say, Jerry Brown does not thrill me either ... couldn't they find a better candidate!? I'm glad he won, but I wish there had been a better candidate.
Agreed. I remember when he got the nickname Governor Moonbeam.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Redwing
Agreed. I remember when he got the nickname Governor Moonbeam.
I doubt he's going to be shacking up with Linda Ronstadt this time around:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/we...7mckinley.html
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That really annoyed me.

After 9/11 Giuliani's 2nd term was coming to an end and he offered to stay for a 3rd term...Bloomberg was against changing the rules so Giuliani could stay for a 3rd term. Obviously this was because he wanted to be mayor of NYC. Then when Bloomberg's 2nd term was up he changed the rules so he could serve a 3rd term. Now his 3rd time is up he has changed the rules back to 2 terms.
But he did get a majority of voters to approve the change... It's not like he just waved a pen to change the rules.

I'd personally like to thank Ms Whitman for putting an extra $140 million into the California economy - next time, do you think you could put that directly to education & the care of children?
(apparently that's what she spent of her personal fortune in the election campaign)
Cut out the middle (wo)man?
That's what I call looking on the bright side !
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 7:08 pm
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

I'm so glad the election is over. I swear, I was ready to vote "anybody but Jerry Brown" for the number of calls we got from his office. None of the other candidates, just Jerry Brown. And no matter how many times you tell them to stop calling, take us off the list, they just keep calling to ask if they have our support. No, Jerry Brown, you have my fury.

As for the endless parade of PSAs, the government really ought to limit those. It's just a constant "Well he did this!", "O yeah, well she did THIS!" for months on end, and where does it get us? Certainly not more informed. But it's a big source of income for radio and TV stations, so they'll stay.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

That ruling is an absolute travesty - bad, bad news all around.