Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Armistice Day

Armistice Day

Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:32 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Armistice Day

Originally Posted by Mallory
My grandfather was also killed in action in World War I, circa 1915. He is buried in a cemetery near Calais, France. He left a pregnant wife, and 4 children.

He was an extra in the film "Ivanhoe," which was filmed in 1913 at a local castle. It is still shown periodically in my hometown.
I think mine had 6 kids. I have his medal, a small red soldiers bible issued by the king and some letters he wrote home.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mallory
No you can't really make him out in the film, you just know he's there. He asked for time off from his job to be in it, and they refused. He did it anyway, and got the sack!

There was a son, and 4 daughters. My mum was the 4th born. I'm sure my uncle got the medals, and then his son. My gran didn't talk about it much, and she never saw his grave. Others in the family have been there, and said how well kept the place is, and they brought back bits of plants from the grave. I hope to take a trip there one of these days.
Nice story.
Thanks for sharing.
I still say it is important to pass this stuff on to our kids. Its where they come from after all.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:14 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Nice story.
Thanks for sharing.
I still say it is important to pass this stuff on to our kids. Its where they come from after all.

of interest: www.tlysau.org.uk/en/item1/28788
Old Nov 12th 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting to read your stories of such dedicated men.

We spent the day with my husband's family (Americans), including his Nan who lost a brother in WW2. Three of her brothers went over and two returned, and it was interesting to listen to her stories and memories. She was telling us how they sent parcels to their UK relatives to subsidise the rationing: coffee, sweets, clothes and toys.

It seems that most Americans give the day little notice, and remember on Memorial Day instead? Our town had a parade, but it didn't receive a lot of attention, and certainly doesn't compare to home. There is a short video clip on BBC--I always found this very moving (the Queen et all laying wreaths, and the veterans marching).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6140592.stm
Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I spent the day with my Dad yesterday. He's 91 now and in a nursing home but is able to take the day away occasionally and come home on weekends once a month. He's still lucid and great company to be with.

He wanted to see Flags of Our Fathers and so yesterday that is what we did. Earlier in the day the Elks Club which is the home of the VFW where the nursing home is held a party for the veterans. Dad was sporting a trio of carnations in red, white and blue tied with a ribbon of the same color. As we left the nursing home for the day residents, nurses, staff and volunteers stopped and shook Dad's hand and said thank you.

Dad was in the South Pacific on Guadacanal and Sipan. He has often told stories of life on the islands for the military men stationed there but he had kept the horror stories to himself. It was only when the nightmares started returning in his declining years that we learnt the true horrors of being in the SP.

The movie was almost empty but those who were there were of his age and in wheelchairs and walkers with caregivers helping them. Normally at the end of a movie everyone rushes to exit. Yesterday everyone sat until the last credit rolled and you heard noses being blown. A sure sign of emotional response.

A week earlier the Veterans of Korea held a poppy sale so I had my poppy pinned to my purse.

Thank you to all the courageous, unselfish and caring men and women from all walks of life and countries who fought to preserve our way of life in WWI and WWII and who worked outside the military to help our forces win their fight. To those that didn't make it home your sacrific was not in vain. You have given your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren the opportunity to live their lives in the freedom you fought for.