Heaters

Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heaters

Well all this talk of the cold....I'm still holding off on the heating, $300+ a month on oil bill is a tad scary.

So been looking at some portable heaters and wanted to know what you guys use/thoughts etc.

http://www.edenpurestore.com

The Edenpure 500 sounds pretty good, all a tad pricey, but thinking would save quite a lot in the long run...the in-laws have just bought one, but not used it much yet, so don't know what it's like on the electric bill, but if anyone has any ideas, would be great to know.

Cheers
Old Oct 28th 2006, 1:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heaters

Originally Posted by Bob
Well all this talk of the cold....I'm still holding off on the heating, $300+ a month on oil bill is a tad scary.

So been looking at some portable heaters and wanted to know what you guys use/thoughts etc.

http://www.edenpurestore.com

The Edenpure 500 sounds pretty good, all a tad pricey, but thinking would save quite a lot in the long run...the in-laws have just bought one, but not used it much yet, so don't know what it's like on the electric bill, but if anyone has any ideas, would be great to know.

Cheers
The plug in oil filled radiators are quite good for taking the chill of a room ...they only cost $30-40. The Presto Heatdish is excellent for instant heat...it really heats a room up quickly. Sold at Costco...where else. Don't forget their excellent returns policy.

Old Oct 28th 2006, 3:30 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

They look very safe, but I don't understand why they would save money. With electric heaters, all the energy goes into heat no matter what the heater.
If you don't have a safety problem, the kerosine heaters are efficient, safe and if the wick is trimmed properly, they don't smell, except a little on startup.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 3:49 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If Bob and the Mrs. are living in a rented apartment, they might not be allowed to use a kerosine heater. In fact they should check that their wiring will handle any type of electrical heater. Curious why it would cost $300 + a month to heat an apartment? Doesn't cost my friend in MA that much to heat a small house. Three floors, 2 bedrooms.

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
They look very safe, but I don't understand why they would save money. With electric heaters, all the energy goes into heat no matter what the heater.
If you don't have a safety problem, the kerosine heaters are efficient, safe and if the wick is trimmed properly, they don't smell, except a little on startup.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:13 am
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

we have an oil filled heater, it raises the heating bill too much and I wouldnt recommend one to anyone unless they want to trade propane bills for electricity ones.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
If Bob and the Mrs. are living in a rented apartment, they might not be allowed to use a kerosine heater. In fact they should check that their wiring will handle any type of electrical heater. Curious why it would cost $300 + a month to heat an apartment? Doesn't cost my friend in MA that much to heat a small house. Three floors, 2 bedrooms.
We have oil fired water/radiator central heating, this is a large house by some standards and we use about $1000 of oil per year, this includes hot water all year round. If we use the wood stove during really cold spells we use less.
$300 a month seems excesive
Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:38 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

They must keep the heat way down...I have a small place....and even with the heat off most of the day and all of the night my bills are way into the $200 plus mark for gas....

At a baby shower last year we were talking about bills and it seems with young ones at home all day gas bills hit the $700 mark...our highest bill was $350 for gas....to keep my bills at $250...I have to keep the house just above bugger me is that ice on the windows temp...
Old Oct 28th 2006, 5:44 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LuTziE
we have an oil filled heater, it raises the heating bill too much and I wouldnt recommend one to anyone unless they want to trade propane bills for electricity ones.
I have an oil filled radiator in the bedroom..it warms up fast..and keeps the room warm for about an hour after it goes off...I run it for about 20 mins just before bed time...I've not seem a huge jump in the electricity bill..but then we have a new supplier and my carry costs have dropped a lot....my daughter uses a small hot air blower at 5 in the morning...and her room is nice and warm...but I'm not sure I'd like to run the radiator or blower all day....

Last edited by krizzy; Oct 28th 2006 at 6:23 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 6:49 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Anyone tried something like this...

http://www.eheat.com/index.php
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The plug in oil filled radiators are quite good for taking the chill of a room ...they only cost $30-40. The Presto Heatdish is excellent for instant heat...it really heats a room up quickly. Sold at Costco...where else. Don't forget their excellent returns policy.

yeah, looked at those, honking power usage though, so what's that like on the electric bill?
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

your right, we can't stump for kerosene or unblock the fireplace, shame, get free wood off FIL otherwise *lol*

and apartment, well in the summer, was just under $300 for 3 months, and winter cost of around $300 a month, just under, that's going on what the people downstairs were saying, and previous person...oil heating also does the water.

Previous tenant also had a kid, so I'm hoping that had something to do with it.

Other problem, only one thermostat for the whole place, two floors, quite a large place, it's the upper 2/3 of an old victorian gaff.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by krizzy
I have an oil filled radiator in the bedroom..it warms up fast..and keeps the room warm for about an hour after it goes off...I run it for about 20 mins just before bed time...I've not seem a huge jump in the electricity bill..but then we have a new supplier and my carry costs have dropped a lot....my daughter uses a small hot air blower at 5 in the morning...and her room is nice and warm...but I'm not sure I'd like to run the radiator or blower all day....
who do you use for the electric?

Not that I've a choice, but we dont' get charged much for electricity usuage, but the cost of supplying it is stupidly high....averaged about $70-100 a month...ouch *lol*
Old Oct 28th 2006, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by krizzy
Anyone tried something like this...

http://www.eheat.com/index.php
I saw that too...looks good, but something to be plonked on the wall which put me off...
Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Now I'm all confused. I thought when you moved to Mass you and OH moved into a building complex with a swimming pool, etc. Now it is a Victorian house/apartment. If you heat with oil do you have a separate tank for your heating oil or does the entire house share one tank and the bill is split proportionately?

Originally Posted by Bob
your right, we can't stump for kerosene or unblock the fireplace, shame, get free wood off FIL otherwise *lol*

and apartment, well in the summer, was just under $300 for 3 months, and winter cost of around $300 a month, just under, that's going on what the people downstairs were saying, and previous person...oil heating also does the water.

Other problem, only one thermostat for the whole place, two floors, quite a large place, it's the upper 2/3 of an old victorian gaff.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

You live in a duplex not an apartment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.