Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

April 1st - tobacco taxes through the roof.

April 1st - tobacco taxes through the roof.

Old Apr 8th 2009, 4:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: April 1st - tobacco taxes through the roof.

Originally Posted by ironporer
Looks like we'll all have to go to SC for our smokes:
or duty free at the border.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 6:54 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'd say that the health care and associated costs related to smokers does cost the US more because people live with smoking related health issues for a while before they expire, unlike fatal car accidents.
I don't know the figures for the US, but I checked the UK position a few years ago: Annual tax revenue from tobacco £9bn, annual cost to the NHS of treating smoking related illness £2.5bn. So there's a clear profit there. I was surprised, so I asked a doctor who told me that it's because smokers die of the cheaper diseases.

Then add in pensions: smokers get a bigger annuity at retirement, cos they don't live as long, according to the actuaries - so there's another saving for the state. The list goes on but, on the whole, smokers are net contributors to society.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:04 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I don't know the figures for the US, but I checked the UK position a few years ago: Annual tax revenue from tobacco £9bn, annual cost to the NHS of treating smoking related illness £2.5bn. So there's a clear profit there. I was surprised, so I asked a doctor who told me that it's because smokers die of the cheaper diseases.

Then add in pensions: smokers get a bigger annuity at retirement, cos they don't live as long, according to the actuaries - so there's another saving for the state. The list goes on but, on the whole, smokers are net contributors to society.
Almost three weeks without a tab.
Old Apr 8th 2009, 7:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Arizona $2.000 $1.0066 $3.01
Don't pay any state sales tax here if you go to the smoke shop on tribal land. For those in metro Phoenix, the easiest one is @ Mckellips & Hayden on the Tempe and Scottsdale border.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Almost three weeks without a tab.
Good going! keep it up