Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for US residency

Applying for US residency

Old Nov 30th 2020, 3:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by Boiler
The curry houses did not really get going until the 1970's.
Perhaps we should thank Idi Amin? Well at least if he wasn't dead.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
While I don't disagree with the essence of what you said, there are numerous regional cuisines in India, which is hardly surprising given the size of India, both geographically and the size of the population, but Pakistan didn't exist during the British rule over India and was only carved off India by virtue of being given independence the day before the rest of India, so there is a fairly good reason for "Indian food" to include food styled from the cuisine of what is now Pakistan.

So seeing as Pakistan became an entity in 1947, when a restaurant serves the cuisine of that specific region it is reasonable to term it "Pakistani" all these years later.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
So seeing as Pakistan became an entity in 1947, when a restaurant serves the cuisine of that specific region it is reasonable to term it "Pakistani" all these years later.
Quite possibly "reasonable", but that is rarely what happens, which was I presume what caused you to comment on it.
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure how this thread has now ended up as an ethnic food debate haha

Anyways to get back onto the original subject have already had my first few virtual interviews and they seemed to have gone really well. On a couple of them they said it was pretty rare for a UK graduate to apply for residency in the US and if they could give me a pre match they would have given me one.

They actually asked me which visa I prefer I said H1b that question I kinda wasnt expecting. Anyway looks pretty hopeful for now
Old Dec 2nd 2020, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmd
Not sure how this thread has now ended up as an ethnic food debate haha
Welcome to BE

Originally Posted by ukmd
Anyway looks pretty hopeful for now
Good luck. Am I right in thinking that you are obliged to go wherever you are matched? If so, I would strictly limit the research you do into any particular location. I haven't been through the system myself, but have had close friends in it. Not investing too heavily into any one employer or location is strongly recommended.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by retzie
Good luck. Am I right in thinking that you are obliged to go wherever you are matched? If so, I would strictly limit the research you do into any particular location. I haven't been through the system myself, but have had close friends in it. Not investing too heavily into any one employer or location is strongly recommended.
Yes you have to go where you matched. Yes I am not looking at too much in one particular location but most of my interviews are concentrated on the East Coast
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Jman101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I know some medics who made the move from UK to USA, not very common though.
What medical school are you at?
I am surprised that you are applying as a 5th year med student, I seem to recall problems with that regarding your graduation dates and exams in the UK. Don't UK med schools finish and graduate in July which is too late for starting residency here in the US in June?
All the people I know came during foundation training years or took gap years.
It is a good idea though, the income potential is much higher for physicians. The people I know would have made £100k as consultants in the NHS, yet here in the US, as surgeons in the high earning fields such as orthopedics and cardiothoracic, they are clearing $500k and with much shorter training time.
How did you do in the USMLE exams?
This is my first post btw as a long-time lurker