Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Applying for US residency

Applying for US residency

Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:35 am
  #16  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 25
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by tht View Post
all true, but with the right specialty, once you have the experience you can also move to a much lower cost/tax state and earn a lot of money... I had a co-worker who’s wife was being offered close to $1m a year package to move somewhere in the sticks. I think she was a anesthesiologist... hard to do in finance, but they need doctors everywhere...
true am no expert regarding income but for a $1m package would be more than likely very rural and you would be on call pretty much 24/7. Interesting you say hard in finance, one thing the pandemic has shown that with remote working office space is being made redundant so for finance do you really still need to be near NYC etc?

Its hard to say as I said before physicians dont move to the US because of cost of living its because of the opportunities available in the profession far outweigh those back home and for my field Internal Medicine the training is only 3 years and you are at Consultant level. In the UK you would be waiting 10+ years to reach the same level so its a no brainer really.
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 1:48 am
  #17  
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,558
tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by ukmd View Post
true am no expert regarding income but for a $1m package would be more than likely very rural and you would be on call pretty much 24/7. Interesting you say hard in finance, one thing the pandemic has shown that with remote working office space is being made redundant so for finance do you really still need to be near NYC etc?

Its hard to say as I said before physicians dont move to the US because of cost of living its because of the opportunities available in the profession far outweigh those back home and for my field Internal Medicine the training is only 3 years and you are at Consultant level. In the UK you would be waiting 10+ years to reach the same level so its a no brainer really.
Yes there are are longitudinal tracking surveys on it. It’s an issue for places like NZ and AU, they lose graduates they have invested significant public money into, to the UK mostly, as they can get a visa more easily, much bigger population so more chance to get experience, rate things happen less in places with a small population. They now offer student loan forgiveness and other things to get them to come back.

A lot of business was already in the “pipe” which helped with the move to remote for the short term at least. Also the compliance waivers for traders etc to work remote won’t be extended forever. There is also culture, friends, the arts etc in NYC and other similar cities... and for tech jobs they are already talking about adjust Comp for remote workers who move to lower cost locations. I was already mostly WFH before covid, but still had to be proximate to the NYC metro area...
tht is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 5:45 pm
  #18  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,498
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

I read your header and thought you were initially referring to obtaining permanent residency in the US instead of medical residency in an US hospital.

I can't see that $65K will be much of a hardship for the first year or two of the residency. You will have subsidized housing and eating at the hospital cafeteria which will also cut down on expenses. You will most likely not be required to obtain private hospitalization which is a big chunk out of most people's monthly budget. You won't have all that much time off to party and will gravitate to your bed for much needed sleep.

Which hospital offers the best in terms of residency, i.e. affiliated doctors, specialties, etc.
Rete is online now  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 5:59 pm
  #19  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 25
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I read your header and thought you were initially referring to obtaining permanent residency in the US instead of medical residency in an US hospital.

I can't see that $65K will be much of a hardship for the first year or two of the residency. You will have subsidized housing and eating at the hospital cafeteria which will also cut down on expenses. You will most likely not be required to obtain private hospitalization which is a big chunk out of most people's monthly budget. You won't have all that much time off to party and will gravitate to your bed for much needed sleep.

Which hospital offers the best in terms of residency, i.e. affiliated doctors, specialties, etc.
Ha yeah the hospitals give a meal card to eat in the cafetaria not canteen as I been corrected! They all give health insurance and its around $40 a month for a single person. The hours suck but only for the 1st year surprisingly, after that becomes easier as you are senior.

I know am going to miss Indian food from the UK. Indian ready meals are non existent in places like Wegmans, Whole Foods etc Even what I had in Edison, NJ at the restaurants were trash. The ones on Lexington Ave in NYC were even worse!

Hmm the best hospital well thats a hard question. They all seem good in different ways. Am not looking at fellowship some places give better prospects than others if you want to get into hard fields like Cardio or GI. I dont have loans so dont feel the need to go for those super high income fields.
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 10:25 pm
  #20  
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,558
tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by ukmd View Post
Ha yeah the hospitals give a meal card to eat in the cafetaria not canteen as I been corrected! They all give health insurance and its around $40 a month for a single person. The hours suck but only for the 1st year surprisingly, after that becomes easier as you are senior.

I know am going to miss Indian food from the UK. Indian ready meals are non existent in places like Wegmans, Whole Foods etc Even what I had in Edison, NJ at the restaurants were trash. The ones on Lexington Ave in NYC were even worse!

Hmm the best hospital well thats a hard question. They all seem good in different ways. Am not looking at fellowship some places give better prospects than others if you want to get into hard fields like Cardio or GI. I dont have loans so dont feel the need to go for those super high income fields.
Did you try the ones down on the street with this place (named after London brick lane). Most similar I found to UK/Manchester curry, which by the way is nothing like the Indian I ate in Bangalore for a few years.

Brick Lane Curry House, NYC
79 2nd Ave, New York, NY 10003
(212) 979-8787
https://goo.gl/maps/X1C9zKhR7yVhJqSWA
tht is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 10:52 pm
  #21  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,204
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by tht View Post
Did you try the ones down on the street with this place (named after London brick lane). Most similar I found to UK/Manchester curry, which by the way is nothing like the Indian I ate in Bangalore for a few years.
Probably because so much of what passes for "Indian" food in the UK is actually Pakistani.
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2020, 11:54 pm
  #22  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,498
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

I can't help with Indian food in NYC since I totally detest anything with curry and the one time I ate in an Indian restaurant, although the meal wasn't prepared with curry, I didn't find it enjoyable.

Suppose it is like finding good Chinese food. You need to go to the area where Chinese reside to find good restaurants. Thankfully, there is China Town in lower Manhattan. I'm sure there is an area in NYC that attracts Indian immigrants, just as there are areas for the Poles and Germans.

As for pre-packed Indian foods, you need to go to Trader Joe. Frozen Indian meals are sold in Costco and Sam's Club. You will probably even find decent curry meals in Irish and English pubs in the city. Just have a look around and ask people.
Rete is online now  
Old Nov 28th 2020, 12:15 am
  #23  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,204
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
I can't help with Indian food in NYC since I totally detest anything with curry and the one time I ate in an Indian restaurant, although the meal wasn't prepared with curry, I didn't find it enjoyable.

Suppose it is like finding good Chinese food. You need to go to the area where Chinese reside to find good restaurants. Thankfully, there is China Town in lower Manhattan. I'm sure there is an area in NYC that attracts Indian immigrants, just as there are areas for the Poles and Germans.

As for pre-packed Indian foods, you need to go to Trader Joe. Frozen Indian meals are sold in Costco and Sam's Club. You will probably even find decent curry meals in Irish and English pubs in the city. Just have a look around and ask people.
Jackson Heights has many Indian restaurants, as well as grocery, gold jewelry, and sari shops.
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2020, 12:31 am
  #24  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 25
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
Jackson Heights has many Indian restaurants, as well as grocery, gold jewelry, and sari shops.
Yeah jackson heights is kinda the NY equivalent of Edison I never been will check it out if I match to a NY program
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2020, 12:34 am
  #25  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,204
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by ukmd View Post
Yeah jackson heights is kinda the NY equivalent of Edison I never been will check it out if I match to a NY program

I used to live there — haven’t stopped by in a while, but the New York Times had an article about the area recently and a variety of ethnic stores and restaurants appear to be thriving!
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2020, 6:36 pm
  #26  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 25
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
I used to live there — haven’t stopped by in a while, but the New York Times had an article about the area recently and a variety of ethnic stores and restaurants appear to be thriving!
I just have this vision of it looking very similar to the streets you see on the film 'Coming to America' I had a quick quizz on streetview and they looked kinda similar
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2020, 6:50 pm
  #27  
Deep in the woods of CT
 
Nutmegger's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,204
Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by ukmd View Post
I just have this vision of it looking very similar to the streets you see on the film 'Coming to America' I had a quick quizz on streetview and they looked kinda similar

The shopping area is probably similar, but the adjacent residential area is definitely not as gritty, with somewhat stately apartment buildings! Here is the NYT's virtual tour (if the link is behind a firewall, I'm sure you can google it):

Jackson Heights, Global Town Square
Nutmegger is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2020, 7:58 pm
  #28  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 25
ukmd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
The shopping area is probably similar, but the adjacent residential area is definitely not as gritty, with somewhat stately apartment buildings! Here is the NYT's virtual tour (if the link is behind a firewall, I'm sure you can google it):

Jackson Heights, Global Town Square
Bizarre I just checked but coming to america was filmed in Brooklyn! LOL not sure why but you learn something new everyday
ukmd is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:20 pm
  #29  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 49,521
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
Probably because so much of what passes for "Indian" food in the UK is actually Pakistani.
While I don't disagree with the essence of what you said, there are numerous regional cuisines in India, which is hardly surprising given the size of India, both geographically and the size of the population, but Pakistan didn't exist during the British rule over India and was only carved off India by virtue of being given independence the day before the rest of India, so there is a fairly good reason for "Indian food" to include food styled from the cuisine of what is now Pakistan.

As an aside, while checking my facts, I discovered that "Pakistan" is a synthetic name, derived from Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, Sindh and the "tan" from Balochistan, to give "Pakstan", with the "i" reportedly added for each of pronunciation (someone should tell the Americans this re aluminum ). Conveniently, in Urdu and Farsi "pak" means "pure" and "stan" means "land", making "Pakistan" "pure land", .... give or take an i.
Pulaski is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:37 pm
  #30  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Boiler's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 34,247
Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for US residency

The curry houses did not really get going until the 1970's.
Boiler is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.