Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

AoS filing experiences in Pittsburgh: long

AoS filing experiences in Pittsburgh: long

Old Oct 5th 2001, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mikie2468 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We just filed for AoS in Pittsburgh - based on our experiences there doesn't appear to have been any major changes in procedure, unlike some other offices.

Short version:

INS Pittsburgh are still doing same-day EAD cards, accepting AOS filings in person, and scheduling interviews for Jan/Feb. GET THERE EARLY!

Long version:

We arrived at the INS office at 9.10am yesterday, a Thursday. After taking a number, I was seen by an officer in about one minute. I told her I was there to adjust status, and she took some of the forms I had brought. Interestingly, she didn’t seem to really know what sort of documentation she needed from me – I had to offer a copy of our marriage certificate, and she didn’t take my I-94, which I wasn’t expecting. She also took my EAD application, some other bits and pieces (copy of the approval notice, copy of my birth cert) and $345 in fees.

I asked her about affidavits, as my wife is between jobs at the moment. I brought along a fully-completed one from her, as well as a co-sponsor one from my mother-in-law, with W-2s and tax returns. They said, “Don’t worry, we’ll take your wife’s one now, and if there is a problem it can be cleared up at the interview.� They did NOT take ANY supporting documents whatsoever. This threw me a little, but since I’m anxious not to have to involve the in-laws if possible, I wasn’t complaining too much. Hopefully by the time they interview us my wife will be in work.

I was called back a few minutes later. She said as we were from out of state she would schedule me to have my fingerprints done that day, at the Pittsburgh support center, and told me they were scheduling interviews for Jan or Feb. She gave me a receipt and told me all I needed to do was wait to be called into the back for the photographing and fingerprinting for the EAD. Although she didn’t give me an appointment date there and then, she said they would send me a letter with an appointment date, probably in January or February.

A few minutes later, they called my name, and five minutes after that I had my 1-year EAD card. The whole process took about 15 minutes. I was expecting to wait around for hours, so we were delighted. We walked to the fingerprinting center (about 10-15 mins) and they took my prints there and then. We were back in the car and on our way home by 10:30am. Woohoo!

Mike & Erin.
Old Oct 8th 2001, 12:54 am
Colleywobbles

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
Congrats Mike and Erin on a smooth filing, my husband and I filed for his AOS in
August with the Pittsburgh office and had a really smooth experience as well.
However, they did take all of our supporting documentation for mine and my
co-sponsers I-864. They didnt take my husbands I-94 though. We did get a letter right
then and there with our interview date which is December 18. Hope you get your
interview soon and all goes well. Good Luck

Amanda and Matt C