Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anything like Screwfix in the US? (and other shopping questions...)

Anything like Screwfix in the US? (and other shopping questions...)

Old Mar 24th 2008, 4:02 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice
Default Anything like Screwfix in the US? (and other shopping questions...)

I built my own house in the UK, and spent a fortune at www.screwfix.com. This weekend I had to buy a few fixings from Lowes, and it was like shopping at B&Q again, silly prices for screws, cable ties etc. So is there and equivelent of screwfix in the US?

Also, is there anywhere I can buy trousers that aren't shaped like a tent? I used to do a lot of shopping in Next (and will do when I go back in a couple of weeks), but was hoping for a similar store over here? I've tried all the usuals (Gap, Old Navy, Express, A&F (way to old for A&F!) but nothing.

Thanks all!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anything like Screwfix in the US? (and other shopping questions...)

For hardware, esp. fasteners, try McFeely's. For online buying of a gigantic array of industrial supplies, try MSC or McMaster-Carr.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:54 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwhite8314
Also, is there anywhere I can buy trousers that aren't shaped like a tent? I used to do a lot of shopping in Next (and will do when I go back in a couple of weeks), but was hoping for a similar store over here? I've tried all the usuals (Gap, Old Navy, Express, A&F (way to old for A&F!) but nothing.
Banana Republic.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 3:08 am
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pwhite8314

Thanks all!
You would probably like Theory for pants. Try Bluefly who stock them and a ton of other names: http://www.bluefly.com

Also check out http://www.kennethcole.com ... great shoes too.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

I here you on Next and Screwfix.
Nothing like screwfix found so far. You might find local chains of hardware type stores (Locally I have OSH)
Done my best shopping so far at Macy when there's a sale. Picked up Levis for $20 was a good example. Though you have to shop harder!!!

Good luck!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:41 pm
Texas Pete

pwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nicepwhite8314 is just really nice

Thanks all, will keep looking around. From reading other threads a lot of people miss the UK high street clothes shops, such a shame Next don't ship internationally, or come to the US, there seems to be a gaping hole in the market.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

I always hunt for large, local hardware stores frequented by contractors but that might not be an option in your area. You could try asking a few friendly contractors where they get such supplies.

As for fashion... many Brit (and Euro) shops are slowly making their way over to the larger cities in the US. Here in SF we have everything from French Connection to Ted Baker now. I'm not a great fan of most British high street fashion chains these days, however, especially with the current exchange rate.