Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Work From Home

Anyone Work From Home

Old Dec 11th 2006, 10:56 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Work From Home

Originally Posted by kath58
Hi,
Thanks for all your support and responses. I will take on board what
everybody one has said. I started to do the surveys on the internet. I have decided not to do it. As there something about it that worries me. I got turned down for another two jobs today. One of them said they would leave me in their data bases . To reapply after Christmas.

Thanks Kath.

What type of job in retail are you trying to get? I find it a bit surprising at this time of year you are having trouble finding a position in this arena. Are you primarily looking for management? If that's the case it may be a little tougher but so many stores are hiring for the holidays. It may not be exactly what you're looking for and may not be the $ you were hoping for but it would at least get your foot in the door and some American retail experience to add to your resume (this is presuming of course that you are new to the states).
Old Dec 11th 2006, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

kath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant futurekath58 has a brilliant future

Hi,
I have tried for seasonal work, part time, temp to hire plus full time. I have not gone for managerial work. The experience of managerial work is on my resume. So the people who are hiring see it for them selves. Also the experience i have in the field. So i have been applying for those positions. It must be something in my resume. Retail is not easy as everyone thinks.

Thanks Kath.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Thanks for all your support and responses. I will take on board what
everybody one has said. I started to do the surveys on the internet. I have decided not to do it. As there something about it that worries me. I got turned down for another two jobs today. One of them said they would leave me in their data bases . To reapply after Christmas.

Thanks Kath.
At least they had the manners to get back to you and turn you down - normally, they don't even bother to respond!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I have tried for seasonal work, part time, temp to hire plus full time. I have not gone for managerial work. The experience of managerial work is on my resume. So the people who are hiring see it for them selves. Also the experience i have in the field. So i have been applying for those positions. It must be something in my resume. Retail is not easy as everyone thinks.

Thanks Kath.
Resume's are a bit different to the CV, they don't want to know your age, sex, marital status and full education, just your experience, any degree, if you've graduated highschool, what you can bring to the table and if your work authorised.

Getting a foot in the door would be best bet, but be flexible, because a lot of places are looking for people willing to work holidays and odd hours, but once your in, you can tell the manager what your real experiences are and you might be able to get the day/night floor manager type positions as they often go for people within first.

The hours though are crap, as are holiday time and benefits...the missus often works 7-11pm, or till 2am setting up displays and those hours aren't time and half, unless it's on a sunday.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 4:27 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I work from home, doing whay I did in the UK, IT sales.

Same job, nicer weather and bigger house