Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Scotland..???

Anyone from Scotland..???

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:31 pm
IRJ
Forum Regular

IRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really niceIRJ is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone from Scotland..???

Originally Posted by fsm
Did you decide which lake?
I've looked at both Norman and Wylie. The former has some great developments, but when I last looked I thought they were a tad overpriced (better now). Plus the drive out to major shopping centers is a bit long and through "uninteresting", IMHO, areas. Lake Wylie has some nice areas and the area around Tega Cay has really come a long way the last 10 years. So tending towards that location.

I was raised a stones throw from the sea (New Brighton) and have lived in Bahrain and Singapore, which are both islands necessarily surrounded by water! Having a nice lake view out of the window seems to have all the advantages and none of the disadvantages of living on the coast (storms, potential floods, high insurance). Plus both lakes are an easy drive to Charlotte which is a pleasant and modern city with all the usual cultural stuff.
Most of all I am tired of the North East winters!

I see you are close to what the locals call a "half back". i.e. someone from "up north" who goes to Florida but doesn't stay and then comes half back

Last edited by IRJ; Nov 3rd 2010 at 10:36 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Syrsa2C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SarahG
Been here a year today. Originally from Edinburgh. Before I came here I spent 14 years in England as that is where my OH is from and where my kids were born. Not sure how long we will be in US for. I hope forever but it is not in my hands. Up to OH employers if they want to go for a GC for us.
My brother lives in Corstophine.. (right spelling?) up on a hill.. He's a radio ham so the hill suits him fine for radio reception..
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by IRJ
My 4 grandparent are each from
England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.
I was born near Liverpool and live in NJ. Soon perhaps to move to one of those nice lakes near Charlotte...
So you are a bit of a Potpourri then ?? .. :-)) NJ is a bit cold in the winter, isn't it?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:53 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by IRJ
I've looked at both Norman and Wylie. The former has some great developments, but when I last looked I thought they were a tad overpriced (better now). Plus the drive out to major shopping centers is a bit long and through "uninteresting", IMHO, areas. Lake Wylie has some nice areas and the area around Tega Cay has really come a long way the last 10 years. So tending towards that location.

I was raised a stones throw from the sea (New Brighton) and have lived in Bahrain and Singapore, which are both islands necessarily surrounded by water! Having a nice lake view out of the window seems to have all the advantages and none of the disadvantages of living on the coast (storms, potential floods, high insurance). Plus both lakes are an easy drive to Charlotte which is a pleasant and modern city with all the usual cultural stuff.
Most of all I am tired of the North East winters!

I see you are close to what the locals call a "half back". i.e. someone from "up north" who goes to Florida but doesn't stay and then comes half back
I live near Lake Wylie, 30 mins commute to downtown charlotte, though 1/2 inch snow we grind to halt here.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 12:55 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Syrsa2C
My brother lives in Corstophine.. (right spelling?) up on a hill.. He's a radio ham so the hill suits him fine for radio reception..
Lived in corstorphine hill gardens (round the corner from the zoo), years ago.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

GazW1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from Alloa originally. Living in East Tennessee - so nowhere near the OP unfortunately.

Going for my oath hearing this coming week in Memphis. It's all change!

Gary
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GazW1969
I'm from Alloa originally. Living in East Tennessee - so nowhere near the OP unfortunately.

Going for my oath hearing this coming week in Memphis. It's all change!

Gary
Alloa, that's interesting. ust down the road from where I lived, and in the Rabbie Burns homeland.. How come you landed in East Tennessee, and what is oath hearing .. ???
Cheers..
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Evening Fella!

Married an American Lady in 2002, moved here in 2004. I used to commute into Edinburgh every morning. Over here, I work barely half a mile from the house.

The oath hearing is the final part of the path towards US citizenship.

What brings you over? Any problems getting used to it?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

I'm originally from Troon, in Ayrshire. Went to Sweden on holiday in 1974, met a Swede, got married, then moved over here from Sweden, in 1992 when the company my hubby works for opened up an office over here and asked him if he wanted to come and work there. He took out a years contract first, then the rest is history. We became naturalized American citizens just over a year ago. We have one son who lives in Seattle with his new wife of almost one month. It did take a bit of getting used to the lifestyle here, and the Americans. Some things I like, some I don't.... but think it's like that wherever you go. I had a hard time getting used to all the traffic and built up areas though. I was more used to the wide open spaces and forests...... How about you then?

Last edited by Syrsa2C; Nov 7th 2010 at 10:31 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 11:08 pm
fsm
So I am where?

Originally Posted by GazW1969
Evening Fella!

Married an American Lady in 2002, moved here in 2004. I used to commute into Edinburgh every morning. Over here, I work barely half a mile from the house.

The oath hearing is the final part of the path towards US citizenship.

What brings you over? Any problems getting used to it?
I married an American Lady in 2002 as well , whenever people asks me what brought to to the states, I reply I met a young lady from Miami.

I naturalized in 2008.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Hello Folks (Syrsa2C and fsm),

I think we're part of the chosen ones! lol When I check Facebook and look at all my schoolmates, most of them are still in the old area. And fighting manic depression through lack of sun and too much rain. Okay - I made that last bit up.

I don't mind the traffic as much - used to have to switch the car off when I got to the Gyle roundabout every day - sooo slow. I don't mind the open areas - I prefer to live in town though. My disadvantage/advantage is my accent. You could make soup with my thick accent. I think its worn off a bit but, the locals here would disagree! Now I'm out the truck and having to speak to people, I think the peer pressure is taking the edge off it - but I talk fast sometimes and have to catch myself. Anyone else have this?

There's a shop nearby sells irn-bru and wispas - would kill for a half decent curry though! What do you all miss the most?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:27 am
fsm
So I am where?

I miss the chippie, for real fish n chips.

A couple of pubs here do a fairly good job.

My back bacon is made here in NC, my black pudding comes from NJ and my Haggis from TX.

The smoky bacon crisps I miss and the minstrels are not so readily available.

If I want a steak & kidney pie better off making it myself.

Found a nice cider the other day, so enjoying that as well.

Been out here 11 1/2 years, cannot see me living back over in the UK as things stand, enjoy it when I go home but it's only a vacation.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi All!
Think the thing I miss the most are the Scots! A nice bit of fish and chips sprinkled with salt and vinegar wouldn't hurt either. Scottish chicken tastes much better than the chicken over here.. must be what they feed them on. Still miss the wide open spaces, and the sea. I grew up just a couple of minutes away from the beach, and I still think about it.
Traffic congestion here is bad, especially at the peak hours. The traffic on a big highway just up the road, I-595, grinds to a halt in the morning and evening. The area is expanding all the time, so it's no wonder the cars are getting more numerous.
Don't know if I could go back and live in Scotland, I won't say I would never though.. Never can tell what lies around the corner...
Old Nov 10th 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Helen B is an unknown quantity at this point

I just moved to Vermont from Scotland 3 weeks ago to marry my American fiance. I am from Edinburgh but we'd been living in Dundee for 3 years.

We spent summer in Alaska (where he's from) and attended the Eagle river, Annual Highland games and had great time! Probably the most fun I've ever had at Highland games.

Any fellow Scots in Vermont?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 6:16 pm
fsm
So I am where?

http://www.quecheescottishfestival.com/

http://www.scotlandbytheyard.com/index.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.