Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Originally Posted by dunroving
As far as the post that said "I could never have the cheek to live in and benefit from a country that I dislike or look down on. It is everyone's choice to be here", true, the OP was making a statement about him/heself, but the implicit message is that others who live in the US if they don't like it "have the cheek" to do so
So true. And btw, that statement also presumes that we are taking from the country we live in, rather than contributing to it. That's not a premise I accept. I may complain about the US health care system, but I still pay exorbitant amounts of money to use it - money that financially benefits other people. I may dislike the political system here, but I pay every penny of my taxes every year (in a state that financially supports most of the south, I might add). My small business has kept several people employed throughout this horrible recession. In each election, I work for the things I believe in without pay and I vote every time. I volunteer in my spare time and have done for years.

So I have no qualms at all about speaking my mind because I do not feel I am indebted to the US. I have more than paid my way, as I'm sure has everyone else here.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:48 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, you are correct about that.
Denise/DDL has been a member of this forum since June 2004. She has used the immigration forum, etc. for many years. She has a British husband, MIL, BIL, step-children, and step-grandchildren. She loves the UK, and writes the most interesting posts!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 2:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
So true. And btw, that statement also presumes that we are taking from the country we live in, rather than contributing to it. That's not a premise I accept. I may complain about the US health care system, but I still pay exorbitant amounts of money to use it - money that financially benefits other people. I may hate the political system here, but I pay every penny of my taxes every year (in a state that financially supports most of the south, I might add). And my small business has kept several people employed throughout this horrible recession. In each election, I work for the things I believe in without pay and I vote every time. I volunteer in my spare time and have done for years.

So I have no qualms at all about speaking my mind because I do not feel I am indebted to the US. I have more than paid my way, as I'm sure has everyone else here.
Are you planning to set yourself up in business when you return here, also? Interesting article in the Sunday Times Money section today about the current government wanting to promote small businesses and entrepreneurship in order to drive the economic recovery, but that the red tape involved is a real deterrent. What is your business? (sorry if you have said this before, I lose track of more than I remember on this site!)
Old Mar 27th 2011, 4:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
Denise/DDL has been a member of this forum since June 2004. She has used the immigration forum, etc. for many years. She has a British husband, MIL, BIL, step-children, and step-grandchildren. She loves the UK, and writes the most interesting posts!
I've been here a while too, doesn't mean we have to agree with her or bow to her knowledge. I find some of her posts interesting, I don't however find her jabs (usually at Cheers who has a non American sense of humor) very funny and it usually starts crap and she never wants to drop it or just put Cheers on ignore.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:05 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I've been here a while too, doesn't mean we have to agree with her or bow to her knowledge. I find some of her posts interesting, I don't however find her jabs (usually at Cheers who has a non American sense of humor) very funny and it usually starts crap and she never wants to drop it or just put Cheers on ignore.
I think Denise has a funny rapport with Cheers! He enjoys her posts from the UK. I will be looking forward to your posts from Wales!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

I was wondering about that, the apparent implication that longevity on the Forum denotes some extra privileges.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy Cheers posts - he has a wry sense of humor. I particularly enjoyed the post about depression and the call center in Pakistan and the suicide bomber. I know depression and suicide is not a laughing matter but sometimes we have to lighten up and make fun of ourselves. I am Irish born (British citizen). I worked on St Patrick's Day this year (almost always do). I was asked by a co-worker why I was at work and why I wasn't "off getting drunk". I just laughed it off and said that I wasn't much of a drinker (which is true). I didn't take offense - sometimes we have to lighten up and just let things go.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I enjoy Cheers posts - he has a wry sense of humor. I particularly enjoyed the post about depression and the call center in Pakistan and the suicide bomber. I know depression and suicide is not a laughing matter but sometimes we have to lighten up and make fun of ourselves. I am Irish born (British citizen). I worked on St Patrick's Day this year (almost always do). I was asked by a co-worker why I was at work and why I wasn't "off getting drunk". I just laughed it off and said that I wasn't much of a drinker (which is true). I didn't take offense - sometimes we have to lighten up and just let things go.
You didn't tell him that it was because the Guiness made under license in the States tastes likes gnat's piss?
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You didn't tell him that it was because the Guiness made under license in the States tastes likes gnat's piss?
Actually I don't like Guinness at all (either here or in Ireland) it's too heavy. I did have a Harp beer on St Paddy's Day evening! My eldest (American) son-in-law drinks the Guinness here, younger one will only drink German beer (he's a first generation American - father born in Germany). I'm more of a wine drinker, like a glass of Merlot now and then. Red wine is supposed to be good for your heart - so I drink it for purely medicinal purposes.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Hopefully the whole thing will drop on the other thread, but I will add my 2 cents here. My comments were straightforward comments, not some rude tirade towards DDL as some have suggested. I didn't make any of the comments that so offended her. I didn't tell her to leave. All written material is up for interpretation but that's just what it is, interpretation.

Probably we wouldn't be on this forum if we were happy campers about being in US.
UK EXpat forum not US expat forum
This is OUR forum UK not US expat forum
Which is
OTH maybe wrong forum for u

If you regularly go to a Chinese restaurant that serves Chinese food, it's self defeating and unrealistic to expect or demand that they serve Italian food. If you get indigestion every time you eat there, why would you be masochistic and keep going there. Be kind to yourself, lighten up!
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
And so do lots of others. Time here has nothing to do with it.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Hopefully the whole thing will drop on the other thread, but I will add my 2 cents here. My comments were straightforward comments, not some rude tirade towards DDL as some have suggested. I didn't make any of the comments that so offended her. I didn't tell her to leave. All written material is up for interpretation but that's just what it is, interpretation.

Probably we wouldn't be on this forum if we were happy campers about being in US.
UK EXpat forum not US expat forum
This is OUR forum UK not US expat forum
Which is
OTH maybe wrong forum for u

If you regularly go to a Chinese restaurant that serves Chinese food, it's self defeating and unrealistic to expect or demand that they serve Italian food. If you get indigestion every time you eat there, why would you be masochistic and keep going there. Be kind to yourself, lighten up!
Well said, Aviva. You didn't say anything wrong. You were merely straightforward, as you said.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Hope you have licences for all these bazukas being fired. I am in my bunker.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

Menschlein is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a great time!

Another Hull veteran here although I was born near Leeds. I worked in Hull for a couple of years, met my husband there and as a result, wound up living abroad. I thought Hull got a bad rap - I liked where we lived (The Avenues) and I thought the town center was cool. We used to go to a pub on the Land of Green Ginger - forget the name but it was really old and quaint - and we loved the Housemartins, who used to call themselves "the fourth best band in Hull." I have nothing but good memories of that town.
I remember the Land of Green Ginger, it's down Whitefriar Gate. Used to walk past it on the way to the indoor market. Along the same road is also Britains smallest window.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 10:01 pm
In the pink

So true. And btw, that statement also presumes that we are taking from the country we live in, rather than contributing to it. That's not a premise I accept. I may complain about the US health care system, but I still pay exorbitant amounts of money to use it - money that financially benefits other people. I may dislike the political system here, but I pay every penny of my taxes every year (in a state that financially supports most of the south, I might add). My small business has kept several people employed throughout this horrible recession. In each election, I work for the things I believe in without pay and I vote every time. I volunteer in my spare time and have done for years.

I can see why you want to leave New York State. It's going downhill fast. Thousands of New York and NJ residents are flooding into the south.

http://www.newsmax.com/HerbertLondon...7/02/id/363709

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.