British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Anyone Regret Moving To USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/anyone-regret-moving-usa-704066/)

cliff1961 Feb 6th 2011 5:25 pm

Anyone Regret Moving To USA

Is there anyone who has regret moving to united States ?

What are your reasons of regret?

Sally Redux Feb 6th 2011 5:30 pm

Re: Anyone Regret Moving To USA

If I were able to go back in time and knew then what I know now, I would not make the move. However it comes down to each individual's circumstances.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 6th 2011 5:34 pm

I only regret not pushing the move when I knew we should have gone back. Staying the extra time has cost us dearly (financially)

cliff1961 Feb 6th 2011 5:41 pm

It is a mixed confusion, i have read many Love it in United States, and many that are looking to move back home. Read stories many people in their 60's who moved many years ago and moved back home 90% stated they would never live there again ???

Had friends who lived in United states and within a year had to move back home to United Kingdom as could not afford medical expenses etc.

many people find it much cheaper to live in United States!
I find shopping is far much better as you have Big sales every other week but no one needs to buy clothes every week, your main priorities being household utilities, health insurances etc which is far cheaper in countries like United Kingdom

dunroving Feb 6th 2011 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by cliff1961 (Post 9156724)
Is there anyone who has regret moving to united States ?

What are your reasons of regret?

Not ever. Leaving the UK in 1983 due to lack of jobs (similar situation to what is happening in the UK now) turned my life around in a way that would not have been possible if I had stayed in the UK.

The end result has not been anywhere near as successful financially as it might have been if I had stayed (because I didn't buy my first house until 1988, by which time prices had gone up, and have been similarly hit hard financially by my move back and selling up my US house in 1999, and again buying a UK house in March 2007).

So, I definitely regret some of the financial fallout that has resulted from being an expat (linked directly with the timing of my moves, i.e., during the dotcom boom and during the UK housing bubble), but the adventures I have had and the people I have met along the way have made it worthwhile.

cliff1961 Feb 6th 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9156780)
Not ever. Leaving the UK in 1983 due to lack of jobs (similar situation to what is happening in the UK now) turned my life around in a way that would not have been possible if I had stayed in the UK.

The end result has not been anywhere near as successful financially as it might have been if I had stayed (because I didn't buy my first house until 1988, by which time prices had gone up, and have been similarly hit hard financially by my move back and selling up my US house in 1999, and again buying a UK house in March 2007).

So, I definitely regret some of the financial fallout that has resulted from being an expat (linked directly with the timing of my moves, i.e., during the dotcom boom and during the UK housing bubble), but the adventures I have had and the people I have met along the way have made it worthwhile.

As you stated regards to the state of the Uk now, this is what is driving me out and experiencing the cost of living and other members wanting to move back you do not know where to go. (I think it shall be TEXAS)
But i have to make a decision soon as you state the way the UK is now house prices are going to drop, Currency pound V Dollar will eventually drop
just regret i never made this decision 2 years ago, house prices were High in the Uk and almost 2 dollars to a pound.

If i was to sell my house today and change the currency i would loose $150000.00 and now due to the government thelonger i leave it the loss is only going to get greater.

fulwood Feb 6th 2011 7:08 pm

I have no regrets over all about moving here. I think have had career opportunities would not have gotten in England. I have regrets how things worked out w/my family but not about moving here. Regret living in Arizona for 20 plus years but like fact I can change that and move to place/climate that suits. Do not get me wrong I love England and now have the curse of the expat - will never feel totally settled in either country but I made my bed and so will lie in it..I do not know what next few years will be bring but I could be in US for remainder of my life or maybe I will move back to UK one day and work in my field..

kateg60 Feb 7th 2011 1:23 am

I have enjoyed living here but I am also now feeling the need to return to England. All my family is still in Leeds and I miss them. The thought of my Mother passing away without me having spent any time with her recently really bothers me and I just miss it! I don't feel like the US is home.

Nyz Feb 7th 2011 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9156741)
If I were able to go back in time and knew then what I know now, I would not make the move. However it comes down to each individual's circumstances.

Exactly this, it wasn't the right move for me and my husband, and now even though we both want to move back, it's so hard. My in-laws can't understand why we want to move back to "broken Britain" - they drive me nuts with their constant criticism.

We went back at Christmas and I'm really hoping that this summer we move back. :fingerscrossed:

us4now Feb 7th 2011 11:26 am

I don't regret moving here, as such, but now that we know we want to go back to the UK, I sort of regret the upheaval around the to-ing and fro-ing.
Not for me so much or for OH, but for my kids.

I enjoyed living in the U.S and we always had a feeling that it wouldn't be forever so we did a lot of travelling which I am thankful for.

Whilst I wouldn't have been without the U.S experience, I know that life would be a lot less complicated if we didn't have the 'here or there' dilemma. I sometimes look at my friends who have stayed back in the UK and think how lucky they are not to have had these huge decisions to make. And they are much more settled. I want to go back to the UK but I know I will second guess my decision so many times for the rest of my life. Was it right for us, was it right for the kids etc etc...sigh....

Still, we are as a family so much richer for the experience, so its all a trade off.

Yilt Feb 7th 2011 11:37 am

I thoroughly enjoyed my time in the US. I met some great people and had some great experiences that I would never have happened sitting in my living room in the UK. At least you had the courage of making the move. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide in the future. Welcome to the curse of the Expat.

Assanah Feb 7th 2011 12:29 pm

I loved living in the US. Really enjoyed it there, experienced a lot, it opened my eyes, made my world bigger :thumbup: However, I am still thinking about the US. Was I right returning home? Should I have stayed? yada yada yada

sallysimmons Feb 7th 2011 2:24 pm

I don't know if I can say I regret it yet - that depends whether I manage to convince my husband that we should go home to the UK. If we eventually go home, I will probably look back on this time as a good experience. If we don't get to go home, I will grow old wishing I had never left.

I have lost a lot of time with family and friends, and never made new ones who can compare. I think if you're thinking about leaving home you have to realize what you're losing out on. Parents may die while you're miles away. Old friends will drift away and move on with their lives. Siblings will get sick and you won't be there to help. If you have kids, they will barely know their grandparents or cousins. The rift is forever when you leave - you can't go back to the way things once were. You may be able to rebuild them, but it will take effort.

And don't think of this as an opportunity to get ahead financially - you will probably be able to buy a nicer house in the US, but if and when you want to go home, you could find yourself further behind than when you left because housing is so much more expensive there. Plus, one medical catastrophe when you're not insured could wipe out your home and all your savings.

The standard of living is generally higher here if you measure by material things. The quality of life is generally lower, IMO. People work longer hours, have a lot more stress, and rarely take vacations.

As for Texas - well, that's more culture shock than I could handle :lol: I'm in the north east where people have attitudes more in line with Britain. In Texas, be prepared for God to be a major part of every decision, for people carrying guns in public to be the norm, and for extreme right-wing politics that make David Cameron look like a communist. Depending on where you are on the political spectrum all this could be either good or bad but it's worth knowing before you make the move.

cliff1961 Feb 7th 2011 3:30 pm

I truly believe there are far more opportunities in United States compared to the UK, but moving to the United States is ok if you have 2 things,

1: YOUR HEALTH
2: GOOD JOB

Being diagnosed with Epilepsy all my life wipes out most opportunities available to me.

Being diagnosed with Epilepsy you are forever neglected employment, insurances, etc

I Guarntee David Cameron will never get in again, students will never vote for him again, the elderly will never vote for him again, the disabled will never vote for him again or the Unemployed.

HARDLY ANYONE LEFT

2passports Feb 7th 2011 4:36 pm

No. I am homesick, like many posters on this site, and will try to return before old age sets in, but America is an amazing country and I feel very lucky and privileged to have dual citizenship. I could never have the cheek to live in and benefit from a country that I dislike or look down on. It is everyone's choice to be here. Also, when comparing US and UK, I notice that a lot of people on this site like to rhapsodise about the NHS and bemoan the terrible evils of the US healthcare system. I'd like to offer another persepective on that. We pay dearly for our individual, high-deductible insurance, but I must say, I have some experience both as a patient and having 2 doctors in the family. The ugly truth is that the NHS rations care and diagnostic tests and has lower survival outcomes for many cancers. Case in point: I recently had a colonoscopy which ended up with the removal of precancerous growth. I am in my 40s. Under the NHS, you are only eligible for a home-test kit screening between the ages of 60-69 (I suppose you are statistically not worth saving after age 70!). A doctor's visit in the UK tends to be a "conversation." In America they are quick to do tests, perhaps out of fear of lawsuits? But in general, that benefits the patient. My grandfather died unnecessarily for lack of prostate cancer screening. So no regrets, and if I return to dear old England, I will only have lovely memories of my second home.