Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone need a multi-format DVD player??

Anyone need a multi-format DVD player??

Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone need a multi-format DVD player??

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I got one of these it even plays ripped iso images and its true High Def best 500 i have spent its networked far better than apple tv and less agro than having the pc plugged in to the the telly you can also plug in external usb drives so currently you can have about 3 tb of video music storage.

http://www.tvix.co.kr/eng/products/PVRM51105130SH.aspx
Looks interesting! It's running embedded Linux BTW -- http://www.uclinux.org/

Can't help thinking that it's easier just to connect a networked PC in though.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:33 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Looks interesting! It's running embedded Linux BTW -- http://www.uclinux.org/

Can't help thinking that it's easier just to connect a networked PC in though.
I spent ages mucking around with HTPC's and just got a lttle bored with it i wanted an out of the box solution that would work with all me ripped films and was high def, it was at the same time i got rid of the pc and migrated to Apple machines i have been a happy computer user ever since.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:37 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with that. I had one that lasted a year until it gave me the "blue light of death."

You get what you pay for.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:42 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
I spent ages mucking around with HTPC's and just got a lttle bored with it i wanted an out of the box solution that would work with all me ripped films and was high def, it was at the same time i got rid of the pc and migrated to Apple machines i have been a happy computer user ever since.
MythTv certainly isn't an out-of-the box solution. You need to set up a MySQL database on the server back end and then a front end machine with light OS for connection to the TV. My front end, though, is an old HP Desktop Celeron with a 40 Gig and 512kb of slow memory drive in it left by a tenant in lieu of the rent he was skipping -- so hardly state of the art! Runs fine, though, without the weight of M$ Vindoze bloatware.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:44 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Me and my shitty cheap DVD player have been taken over by a geek invasion
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
However, if you use a player such as a Philips DVP5960 you can simply burn the downloads direct onto a DVD as a data file (a process that only takes minutes). Also, you'll fit at a very minimum triple the length of video on your DVD. The Philips even has a USB port so you don't need to burn -- a thumb drive or external USB drive can feed the data in instead. It's also easily settable to Region 0. I think the $30 or so extra is well worth paying.
or just burn to a re-write cd...that's what I do....much quicker.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:46 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Just move to the Phillips and save yourself all that tedious converting. It's two steps up already.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:46 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob
or just burn to a re-write cd...that's what I do....much quicker.
That'll work!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:51 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Bastards

At least I've got my good looks-ish :curse:
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There's also that USB thumb drive that you can put into a dock that hooks up to the tele and can just play your files and has a remote....I posted a link a while back on it but can't find it...
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
There's also that USB thumb drive that you can put into a dock that hooks up to the tele and can just play your files and has a remote....I posted a link a while back on it but can't find it...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=492581
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

That's the bugger
Old Nov 20th 2007, 9:59 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Bob
That's the bugger
At $100 it's overpriced.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:27 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Actually the one you posted the link to costs about $20 to ship - the other one has free shipping - makes the decision even easier.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 11:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Actually the one you posted the link to costs about $20 to ship - the other one has free shipping - makes the decision even easier.
You can probably find them at Sears where I got mine, there's one 3 blocks away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.