Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone move to PA?

Wikiposts

Anyone move to PA?

Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone move to PA?

Fantastic, thanks for the info, that is incredibly helpful. They told me the same info about having to get a local license within 90 days if you're a resident.

Fortunately I have some friends where I'm moving, so it might be easiest to borrow their car for the test.

Doris, what was involved with the medical exam? Did you already have insurance, how did you sort out the doctor etc?

Cheers.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

I lived in Philly for 11 years. Yes, you can use a driving school car for the test, I did.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Fantastic, thanks for the info, that is incredibly helpful. They told me the same info about having to get a local license within 90 days if you're a resident.

Fortunately I have some friends where I'm moving, so it might be easiest to borrow their car for the test.

Doris, what was involved with the medical exam? Did you already have insurance, how did you sort out the doctor etc?

Cheers.
Being resident if your moving states is different, it all depends on what status you are, but either way, easier to get a license asap, if nothing else, your a non entity without the ID.

Medical insurance is another whole different ball game, very much depends on your employer as to what you get, thus as to what doctor you'll be able to see etc.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:38 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
The medical was just a physical exam. Our insurance lets us have one physical a year and so I went for that and the Dr signed the medical form at the same time.
As Bob said insurance is a whole different ball game. Depends who you are with as to what Dr you can use but it's not a problem to find one, it is all on your insurers web site.
If you go online to the Penndot site you can see a copy of the medical form. It is really just asking if you are fit to drive, nothing major.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:43 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
It is really just asking if you are fit to drive, nothing major.
One of the drivers who hit me was fully relined in his seat, attached to a huge canister of oxygen on the passenger seat and looked like Davros' Dad
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:48 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I will be going to Pennsylvania on a working visa. Can anyone tell me what the process is re buying a car and getting a US drivers license, in terms of which order to do things? As I understand it, you have a hard time getting insurance or buying a car until you have a local D/L, so do most people just rent a car until then?

From what I can see on the PennDOT site, I would have to get some sort of medical exam and a learner's permit, would that be right even though I've been driving for nearly 15 years (yeah, I know, outside of the US doesn't count... ).

So I'm thinking:
1. Get SSN
2. Get D/L or permit or whatever I have to get
3. Buy car
4. Get insurance.

Do you use a driving school to take the test?

Is it better to buy a car through a dealer so I make sure all the right paperwork etc is done rather than a private dealer (don't really understand their titles/process etc).

Maybe I am thinking this is harder than it actually it, but any info from a new Pennsylvanian would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I came to Pennsylvania in 2002 on a working visa and was able to drive my bosses car around just fine on an international license. I also purchased a van and got insurance through Geico, all with my international license. The insurance companies were more concerned about my age than my drivers license.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 7:56 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
One of the drivers who hit me was fully relined in his seat, attached to a huge canister of oxygen on the passenger seat and looked like Davros' Dad
That is amazing isn't it. I was at the drivers centre the other week and this HUGE woman was wheeled in, in the biggest wheel chair ever (seriously). She too was attached to a cannister of O2 or something and she had come to renew her license

How did she get past the medical or do you only have one when you start driving ?
But having said that, many years ago my mum and I were comming out of the butchers and this old lady was feeling around with her foot to see if there was a step. We helped her out of the shop and across the pavement to her car because she couldn't see anything and didn't want to fall.
Then she drove off!
Old Aug 28th 2007, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jumping doris
But having said that, many years ago my mum and I were comming out of the butchers and this old lady was feeling around with her foot to see if there was a step. We helped her out of the shop and across the pavement to her car because she couldn't see anything and didn't want to fall.
Then she drove off!

My Mum acts when driving just as if she were walking - eg stops in the middle of the road for a few minutes to say "Oh where are we going now?" or decides to do a U-turn at a moment's notice