Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in New Jersey

Driving in New Jersey

Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:18 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Driving in New Jersey

Now I've got my Pimp Mobile Car and am fully insured etc, I've hit the roads of NJ. These are the rules, as far as I can figure them out:

1. All traffic laws must be obeyed whilst a cop is in view.
  2. Signs that say: Stop, Yield, No Turns, No U-Turn, No Left Turn or No Turn on Red are only suggestions.
  3. If an approaching car has it's turn signals on, it is going straight ahead. That signal has been on for about twenty minutes and the driver just hasn't noticed yet.
  4. If an approaching car has no turn signals on, it might turn left or right sharply at any time.
  5. Correct procedure at a junction is: Brake Sharply, Make Turn, Accelerate Sharply, Survey Carnage in Rear View Mirror.
  6. The bigger car always has right of way.
  7. He Who Has Insurance Wins.
  8. If you spot a police car, slow down to 10mph, irrespective of the speed limit.
  9. Every so often, sound your horn to check that it is still working.
  10. Wait until the traffic light turns from red to green before applying lipstick/changing the radio. Ignore the angry honking behind you.
  11. When an approaching light turns amber, hit the gas, irrespective of your chances of making the light before it turns red.
  12. At a red light, you are authorised to turn right if there is no oncoming traffic or the oncoming traffic is smaller than you are.
  13. At a red light marked: "No Turn On Red" you MUST NOT TURN RIGHT until you have clearly checked that there are no police cars behind you.
  14. All vehicles in New Jersey must have a valid roadworthiness inspection sticker. These can be obtained for $100 irrespective of the car's actual roadworthiness.
  15. If you can still see out of your back window, you don't have enough bumper stickers yet.
  16. All campaign bumper stickers must be at least three years out of date, i.e. Bush/Cheney 2000 or Member of the Fraternity of Police 2001.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in New Jersey

You forgot when turning right, indicate or not it doesn't really matter, swing over to the left without checking mirror, then s-l-o-w-l-y turn right.

BTW have you noticed if you want to pull over and indicate so...when you stop everyone behind you stops bumper to bumper behind you?

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 27th 2007 at 5:25 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:24 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

That is Pimp!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:57 pm

Lord Knows is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
http://bp2.blogger.com/_sBLxX3sph8M/...0/100_1735.JPG

Now I've got my Pimp Mobile Car and am fully insured etc, I've hit the roads of NJ. These are the rules, as far as I can figure them out:

2. Signs that say: Stop, Yield, No Turns, No U-Turn, No Left Turn or No Turn on Red are only suggestions.
  3. If an approaching car has it's turn signals on, it is going straight ahead. That signal has been on for about twenty minutes and the driver just hasn't noticed yet.
  4. If an approaching car has no turn signals on, it might turn left or right sharply at any time.
  5. Correct procedure at a junction is: Brake Sharply, Make Turn, Accelerate Sharply, Survey Carnage in Rear View Mirror.
  8. If you spot a police car, slow down to 10mph, irrespective of the speed limit.
  10. Wait until the traffic light turns from red to green before applying lipstick/changing the radio. Ignore the angry honking behind you.
  11. When an approaching light turns amber, hit the gas, irrespective of your chances of making the light before it turns red.
  12. At a red light, you are authorised to turn right if there is no oncoming traffic or the oncoming traffic is smaller than you are.
  13. At a red light marked: "No Turn On Red" you MUST NOT TURN RIGHT until you have clearly checked that there are no police cars behind you.
  14. All vehicles in New Jersey must have a valid roadworthiness inspection sticker. These can be obtained for $100 irrespective of the car's actual roadworthiness.
  15. If you can still see out of your back window, you don't have enough bumper stickers yet.
  16. All campaign bumper stickers must be at least three years out of date, i.e. Bush/Cheney 2000 or Member of the Fraternity of Police 2001.
And I was told that the British were slow learners ?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:12 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That is Pimp!
My wife wanted to get a Toyota Camry, but I argued that we didn't move 3000 miles to another country, the birthplace of the automacarjiggy, just to drive something we could have had back in England.

Plus it was cheap. I bought it off a rapper... presumably not a very famous one since he lived in a house in North Brunswick and his wife was a realtor. But he was pretty good. He gave me his CD with the car.

It's apparently the Lincoln once owned by a governor of New Jersey (one of them, I'm not sure which) but JD, the rapper, resprayed it cherry red as he does to all his cars (i'm not joking, he had five cars all identical colour.)

We bought it and a week later had to spend half the purchase price on repairs. Wife was NOT best pleased.

But it runs fine now and gets 20mpg which is actually about the same as wifey's 'economical' Pontiac Grand Prix.

I LOVE all these car adverts boasting "an amazing 25mpg!"

Back in the UK my Renault used to get 50+!!!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:39 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

That all applies to CO too except n 9, it is rare to hear a horn around here but I do use mine now and then like a good Spaniard ..

Also you can drive in the middle of 2 lanes.. and by all means drive on the left lane and block traffic whenever possible..
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot:

You must put your brakes on when changing lanes even when moving into the fast lane.

Always come to an almost complete, or complete, stop when entering a highway from the entry ramp.

Always stop at a yield sign.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:43 pm
trout pout

looselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of lightlooselips is a glorious beacon of light

http://bp2.blogger.com/_sBLxX3sph8M/...0/100_1735.JPG

Hmmm I thought using turn signals showed a sign of weakness, no? Maybe that is just in Texas.

17. Don't attmept the northern part of the turnpike untill you know exactly what you are doing, don't sit in the middle lane when it's 3 lanes each way .... it really gets up Patrick Hasler's nose.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:05 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Roland ..we know all this ..we follow your blog
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=ginge
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:10 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Ray
Aww. You read my blog. You rock, Ray.

So far everything everybody else has said is true - ESPECIALLY the bit about slowing down to a crawl when you actually DO turn off.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Aww. You read my blog. You rock, Ray.
So far everything everybody else has said is true - ESPECIALLY the bit about slowing down to a crawl when you actually DO turn off.
No we didn't read all the crap ..
we just looked at the large breasted ladies...
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:30 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

And I am not included in "we"..
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

My wife wanted to get a Toyota Camry, but I argued that we didn't move 3000 miles to another country, the birthplace of the automacarjiggy,
That would be Germany not the US.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray
No "WE" don't.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Ok...so maybe I did the same as you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.