Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone move to PA?

Anyone move to PA?

Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone move to PA?

I will be going to Pennsylvania on a working visa. Can anyone tell me what the process is re buying a car and getting a US drivers license, in terms of which order to do things? As I understand it, you have a hard time getting insurance or buying a car until you have a local D/L, so do most people just rent a car until then?

From what I can see on the PennDOT site, I would have to get some sort of medical exam and a learner's permit, would that be right even though I've been driving for nearly 15 years (yeah, I know, outside of the US doesn't count... ).

So I'm thinking:
1. Get SSN
2. Get D/L or permit or whatever I have to get
3. Buy car
4. Get insurance.

Do you use a driving school to take the test?

Is it better to buy a car through a dealer so I make sure all the right paperwork etc is done rather than a private dealer (don't really understand their titles/process etc).

Maybe I am thinking this is harder than it actually it, but any info from a new Pennsylvanian would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone move to PA?

This pages should help you out:
http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/newco...rs_license.htm

Specifically this part:
"Pennsylvania honors a valid foreign driver's license with an international driving permit for a period of up to one year. If the foreign license and/or international driving permit expires before one year, the individual must apply for a Pennsylvania learner's permit to continue driving in Pennsylvania."

I'd check with the department of transport but I think you should be able to buy a car with the foreign license and also insure it. If your visa lasts longer than a year you can take the test during that first year in your car.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamuearlJackson
This pages should help you out:
http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/newco...rs_license.htm

Specifically this part:
"Pennsylvania honors a valid foreign driver's license with an international driving permit for a period of up to one year. If the foreign license and/or international driving permit expires before one year, the individual must apply for a Pennsylvania learner's permit to continue driving in Pennsylvania."

I'd check with the department of transport but I think you should be able to buy a car with the foreign license and also insure it. If your visa lasts longer than a year you can take the test during that first year in your car.
I moved to PA in 2001. No problem driving on a UK license with international permit, but the insurance companies gave me 30 days (I think) to get a PA license. Both the driving test and written test were laughably easy so I would plan on getting this asap.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I don't think that's relevant if you are resident in PA though, that's only if you are visiting.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:52 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
Thanks.

I don't think that's relevant if you are resident in PA though, that's only if you are visiting.
You asked the question and got the correct answer. Being resident has nothing to do with it.

Your British drivers license will be valid in PA for one year. You're right, however, that it's much cheaper to get insurance with an in-state license, so it's worth taking the test ASAP.

However, if it's anything like Texas, you won't use a driving school, so you'll need a car (with insurance) to take the test in. If you can borrow one, great. If not, you'll have to buy before your test and insure the car on your British license.

Last edited by dbj1000; Aug 26th 2007 at 11:55 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Do you live in Pennsylvania?

I think I was pretty clear in asking for people's experience, not links to information which I can find online. I've read the information at the PennDOT site, I am looking for people's experiences. Saying "insure the car on your foreign license" is not helpful if that's extraordinarily difficult to do, which is what I'm asking.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

You're not being too receptive to people who have taken time out to try and help you out...

By the way, I did move to PA last year - although I was able to convert my old Texas DL to a PA one no problem so I don't have the exact experience you are hoping for. In Texas I was insured to drive on my UK DL and was given a time limit to pass the test (I can't remember how long this was but I expect you could find an insurance company willing to do this for you in PA - for example I know Geico insured some friends of ours who did this and Progressive insured me in Texas). As already mentioned, the tests are really easy and you definitely do not need to get a learner's permit to take them (as you can legally drive on the international DL).

You will do everything regarding getting a PA DL through a Driver's License Center. More links:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-e...heduling.shtml

Sorry if this post wasn't too helpful and I've wasted your time again.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I was pretty clear in asking for people's experience, not links to information which I can find online. I've read the information at the PennDOT site, I am looking for people's experiences. Saying "insure the car on your foreign license" is not helpful if that's extraordinarily difficult to do, which is what I'm asking.
Nice
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:49 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

If it's experience you want I can tell you that your attitude might not go down too well - either here at BE or in the US of A...

Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

You all may notice that my second post clearly says "thanks" to SamuearlJackson for the information.

My next post was in response to being told "you have the right answer you asked for", when in fact I did not.

Alan and Samuearl, thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it. I never said you "wasted my time". It is not possible to read people's intentions on line, so perhaps people should give the benefit of the doubt before jumping all over someone!

Edit: when I replied initially, Alan, your post wasn't showing up so I was responding to Samuearl's first post.

As to the unsolicited advice about my so-called attitude, I have already lived in the USA and I coped just fine, but thanks for your concern.

Last edited by augigi; Aug 27th 2007 at 10:58 am.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:41 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

I will be going to Pennsylvania on a working visa. Can anyone tell me what the process is re buying a car and getting a US drivers license, in terms of which order to do things? As I understand it, you have a hard time getting insurance or buying a car until you have a local D/L, so do most people just rent a car until then?

From what I can see on the PennDOT site, I would have to get some sort of medical exam and a learner's permit, would that be right even though I've been driving for nearly 15 years (yeah, I know, outside of the US doesn't count... ).

So I'm thinking:
1. Get SSN
2. Get D/L or permit or whatever I have to get
3. Buy car
4. Get insurance.

Do you use a driving school to take the test?

Is it better to buy a car through a dealer so I make sure all the right paperwork etc is done rather than a private dealer (don't really understand their titles/process etc).

Maybe I am thinking this is harder than it actually it, but any info from a new Pennsylvanian would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I moved to PA from the UK 2 years ago.
We bought our cars before we moved over through International autosource and our relocation agent referred us to AIG for insurance.All very simple.
If you do a search you'll find some info in some of my other posts and other people have used them.
We had international permits as you can only use your UK licence for 90 days if you are a resident...thats what the Penndot help desk told me but you tend to get a different answer everytime you ask.

You need a car to take your test.
You can have lessons...my daughter has just had some and they cost $77 for 90 mins but she couldn't use their car to take the test. It's not the same as the UK, where I took my test in the instructors car.
You have to have a medical and the Dr has to sign the drivers licence application form.Then you can go and take your written test (multiple choice on a computer).
Where I am you just walk in and take that and then if you pass you book your practical.
You can get the drivers manual from the test centre and it takes a while to read through it.
I found some of my written questions quite hard, my daughters were easier.I had some really obscure ones. Or perhaps I just hadn't spent enough time reading the book!
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira

If it's experience you want I can tell you that your attitude might not go down too well - either here at BE or in the US of A...

Actually it might go down well in the USA.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

rent a car for the day, UK license will be fine, sorted....nothing complicated in that.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 6:38 pm
Russell Beattie

rbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nicerbtuk is just really nice

I believe its a similar process in all states with a few variations. When I moved to Ohio, driving on a UK licence is no problem for up to a year. Getting insurance was not a problem either, just a hassle because they can not pull up a US driving record, therefore you tend to be treated as a high risk - costs more. Once you have your US license it will be easier. I found an understanding insurance agent who championed my case with a major insurance company and managed to get me reduced rates.

Buying a car was no problem either, other than the fact I had no credit record in the US. If you pay cash you will have no hassles. I had to get the loan co signed by my employer - once you have established a credit history it will be too easy to buy a car.

The driving test will be a delight if you have been driving for 15 years. But you do have to take the full test. The test is multi choice and really easy to get over the pass mark (70%). The actual driving test it self is even easier, just remember to stop at stop signs and use your indicator (a fact that seems to be lost on almost everybody once they have their license). Just make sure you read the book that outlines the road rules.

Hope my experience helps
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
rent a car for the day, UK license will be fine, sorted....nothing complicated in that.
This is what my wife did in Texas - unfortunately PA doesn't allow you to do this:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/faq/faq-e...ling.shtml#Q03

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.