Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone got t mobile international talk and text?

Anyone got t mobile international talk and text?

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:09 pm
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice
Default Anyone got t mobile international talk and text?

Seems to be $10 per month for unlimited texts to uk mobiles and unlimited calls to uk landlines, within my plan limits. It would the family plan package with unlimited calls. Can this really be true? Do they apply usage caps? I won't need a landline at all if this is right! X
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got t mobile international talk and text?

Yes, I have. I have the $50 unlimited data, phone and text pack (for domestic use), and the add-on $10 a month for international calls to landlines (it might include texting internationally, I'm not sure I've ever checked as my family there aren't natural texters).

I don't have a landline either. I'm not aware of any usage caps, although I wouldn't have come anywhere near them, as I probably only spend 2-3 hours a month on the phone to the English rellies.

I've been completely happy with the service, but shall be switching over in a few months: we're going to get new iPhones when they're out, cascade my current 4 down to my teenage son, and set up one of those family plans where it's $50 for the first device, $30 for the next, then $10 for each subsequent one, all for unlimited data, phone and text (and no contracts on any of it, but you need unlocked phones). At that point, I shall drop the $10 a month international pack, and instead just use a VOIP/ Skype/ thingie, as I'm not a big talker anyway, and it's always whilst I'm in the house so can use the wifi.

Last edited by kodokan; Aug 22nd 2013 at 6:31 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

We just switched to the T-mobile, its a great plan. No usage caps at all. Although data gets slowed on the cheaper plans.

Dont have the international service as I use Skype for that
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

My wife is on it. Its a great service. First of all, you can bring your UK mobile to it, because they use SIM cards, unlike some US providers.

Secondly, you can use your mobile to call landlines anywhere without cost. Yes, Skype is great, but other people need to have it and, lets be honest a lot of family members dont.

My wife sits on her mobile for an hour or two at the weekend, happily talking to her family and it doesnt cost a cent extra.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
Secondly, you can use your mobile to call landlines anywhere without cost. Yes, Skype is great, but other people need to have it and, lets be honest a lot of family members dont.

My wife sits on her mobile for an hour or two at the weekend, happily talking to her family and it doesnt cost a cent extra.
I haven't looked into it fully, because we're a couple of months off switching to the new T Mobile plan (and because my husband and teenage son are much more interested in tech than I am, so I largely leave detail to them ), but my understanding is that there are wifi-based phone services - the ones called VOIP, perhaps? - where I'll be using my cell, but I'll still be calling a normal landline phone in the UK, all for free over the internet. I think this might involve having an app on my phone that does this. Somehow. But to the person at the other end, I'll still be phoning them, not Skyping them.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

If its not skype to skype, then its not free. Its called Skype out and you have to buy Skype credit to use it.

The T Mobile service is $10 a month - use as much as you want for as long as you want. You also dont need data, you just need a Tmobile connection. Seems to work better I think (by the way, we use Skype as well)
Old Aug 28th 2013, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Another T Mobile feature that I find very useful is WiFi calling which lets you make calls over a WiFi connection. This means that, when you are back in the UK you can make free calls to the US provided that you have access to WiFi.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Steve.M is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the idea of being able to text internationally but is the "from" number in the SMS seen as a USA number?

If it appears to come from a UK number that's great, if not I'd feel a little guilty when a friend run's up a large international texting charge....

Skype seems to be ok for most of this, but texting a skype number results in the BT computer lady calling you up & reading it out load.