Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Help and Information

Help and Information

Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

corsiamsiamese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help and Information

Hi everyone, my name is Julie and I was hoping that someone may be able to help me in my search, I had a son when I was very young and my parents decided that he should be adopted, he was born in 1977 and his birth name was Daniel Caulfield, I have a strange feeling that his adoptive parents were either from USA or moved there, and I was wondering if any of you know a website where I can do a search and leave a message in the hope that he reads it, its a long shot but everything is worth a go xxxx
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:02 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help and Information

Originally Posted by corsiamsiamese
Hi everyone, my name is Julie and I was hoping that someone may be able to help me in my search, I had a son when I was very young and my parents decided that he should be adopted, he was born in 1977 and his birth name was Daniel Caulfield, I have a strange feeling that his adoptive parents were either from USA or moved there, and I was wondering if any of you know a website where I can do a search and leave a message in the hope that he reads it, its a long shot but everything is worth a go xxxx
Hi there and welcome

I think it would be worth posting this in our USA section - I'll move it over for you
Old Aug 28th 2013, 2:50 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Just a few questions--born in the UK and then the parents took them to the USA? Or born in the USA (which state)?

Unfortunately, adoptions are handled at a state government level, which means there are 50 different rules in the USA about the process.

If born in the UK, after the child is 18 I believe it is legal for the birth parent to request information of the adoption. Take a look at this site and you might be able to find more details about the parents.

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records
http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/resources.php
Old Aug 28th 2013, 9:58 am
Just Joined

corsiamsiamese is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes he was born in the UK in 1977......I have a weird feeling he is now in the USA, so wanted to find forums where people can search for birth parents etc, all your help is more than welcome thankyou so much x
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by corsiamsiamese
Hi, yes he was born in the UK in 1977......I have a weird feeling he is now in the USA, so wanted to find forums where people can search for birth parents etc, all your help is more than welcome thankyou so much x
IMHO You should explore all possible records available in the UK before embarking on a search of the US. Certainly if you can find the adoptive parents' names it would make your search very much easier.

Also, under some circumstances, in the US a birth certificate can be reissued with the adoptive parents' names. I don't know if it would apply in the case of your son, but his birth name and your name could have been erased from his history.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:50 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the birth name is known but to the parents and the adoption records in the UK. I would also recommend starting in the UK and seeing what that delivers, and then moving your search to the USA with that information. With 50 different state rules you'll have a hard time navigating over here without a bit more information.

A slight primer on the some reunion sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption_reunion_registry