Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anyone else jobhunting?

Anyone else jobhunting?

Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else jobhunting?

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Cheers.

Company near me is training drivers just wondered if it was some kind of well known thing to avoid, sounds too good to be true.

The company, oddly enough is called England , This is a link to the add. I've been Job hunting for ages now starting to lower my sights every day lol
Originally Posted by Dan725

As a slight off topic aside, on thing that always amazes my small mind here is that the majority of truckers seem to be thin wiry dudes, whereas in the UK, the majority are Full Monty Breakfast lads The conclusion I draw from that (and knowing what working is US society is like in general....) is that they are probably worked a lot harder under different terms and conditions than in the UK.....I should expect Pat will be able to give you the lowdown, I think he has done some trucking both sides of the Atlantic.
Cheeky bastard.

The reason US truckers "work harder" is that its a piece of piss to fiddle log books and drive more, plus they get paid by the mile so will drive every hour God sends for the cash. UK truck drivers are mostly salaried and cant fiddle their driving hours because the trucks are all computerised.

As for US drivers being all wiry.... have another look.

Personally I drive in the EU and theres no way Im a "Full Monty Breakfast lad".
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Thank you, Optimus. That was helpful.

Meanwhile, I'm getting kinda bummed out too here, re/job hunt.
I completed a metric shit ton of online apps, BestBuy I thought would have been a ****ing shoe-in, but no. Never heard back from them. Neither did I hear from Lowe's, Home Depot...ugh, I forgot how many I did. I did hear back from a cableco, went there for two interviews, one with the HR lady, another one with the tech guy "Nicole will contact you for further scheduling", well WTF, I sent them a post-interview e-mail (thanks for taking your time, splendid opportunity, yada yada), tried to call them back a couple of times, only ever getting voice mail. ****.

Nobody's looking for a painter either. Applied for a couple of delivery jobs, both UPS, as well as a furniture store and a flower shop. Heard back from furniture store, eight ****ing bucks an hour. Oh well, I thought, it's a ****ing job and $8 more than I have now. Argh, guess what? It's not an actual delivery driver job either, noooooo, it's loading ****ing KING sized mattresses on the truck and have somebody else drive around. Also, you're supposed to lift a KING sized mattress all by yourself. So I walked away from that one this Monday after a few hours. Back still hurts today.

Craig's list? Yeah, that's pretty much worthless. Yesterday I stopped at a pottery factory and applied there too.

Who would have thought popping into legal existence after 9 years of presence in the US would be a problem?
I'm an expert painter, I can build computers from scratch or fix them for you, or tell you how to fix them. I ran a B&B for six years. I can build you a web site and push it to #1 in Google. I _can_ move furniture, but not king sized mattresses 7 days a week, not by myself that is.

Am I just too impatient? Filed 485/130 in Jan, received EAD in March, AOS interview in April, GC in May, TX DL this week... still no job? Argh. I feel like shit. My poor wife :C

Rant over.

Last edited by Kar98; Jun 12th 2009 at 2:53 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Cheeky bastard.

The reason US truckers "work harder" is that its a piece of piss to fiddle log books and drive more, plus they get paid by the mile so will drive every hour God sends for the cash. UK truck drivers are mostly salaried and cant fiddle their driving hours because the trucks are all computerised.

As for US drivers being all wiry.... have another look.

Personally I drive in the EU and theres no way Im a "Full Monty Breakfast lad".
Hehehe Note I said "Majority"....

Just my own personal observations......my warped interest in the subject stems from way back in my A-Level days, when a bunch of us used to work summer jobs at a local farm unloading grain lorries. The plum job on that whole deal was to man the weigh bridge. To alleviate general boredom, we used to take great joy in seeing what some of the drivers weighed when they got out of the wagon ....used to have bets and all sorts, fun times.

Since I've been here, I just have not noticed it to be the case as much.....but again just my observations, and complete unfactual, unproven bollox, but I'll keep my eyes out.....

Last edited by Dan725; Jun 12th 2009 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 5:07 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
Am I just too impatient?
Well, you did pick a particularly bad time to come out...

All you can do is what you're doing. Or do something for yourself (a service etc). Can you go back to doing what you were doing last?

Alternatively, I need a roofer up here.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Who would have thought popping into legal existence after 9 years of presence in the US would be a problem?
I'm an expert painter, I can build computers from scratch or fix them for you, or tell you how to fix them. I ran a B&B for six years. I can build you a web site and push it to #1 in Google. I _can_ move furniture, but not king sized mattresses 7 days a week, not by myself that is.
Got a big city nearby? Sign up on Dice, probably already have done so, but then check out Sapphire, they're one of the alright temp IT/tech agencies. When I was up in Maine they were the only ones able to get me a few gigs.

Where I'm at, it's all sodding software engineering positions, either that or sodding security clearance requirements.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Got a big city nearby? Sign up on Dice, probably already have done so, but then check out Sapphire, they're one of the alright temp IT/tech agencies. When I was up in Maine they were the only ones able to get me a few gigs.
Thank you, sir!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:59 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
STEER WELL CLEAR!!!!!!

They basically twist your arm into leasing the truck from then under the pretence that they'll give you so many miles and so much money that it looks a great deal. In truth its a crap deal and you'll end up having to work for basically nothing because your tied to leasing a piece of shit truck from them and totally at their mercy.

Do a search of truck driver forum on CR ENgland and you'll see what I mean.

If you go driving get a job as a driver not an owner driver.

Learn the ropes before you get greased up and shafted.

I knew there was something wrong with the whole setup, thanks for the insight.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, Optimus. That was helpful.

Meanwhile, I'm getting kinda bummed out too here, re/job hunt.
I completed a metric shit ton of online apps, BestBuy I thought would have been a ****ing shoe-in, but no. Never heard back from them. Neither did I hear from Lowe's, Home Depot...ugh, I forgot how many I did. I did hear back from a cableco, went there for two interviews, one with the HR lady, another one with the tech guy "Nicole will contact you for further scheduling", well WTF, I sent them a post-interview e-mail (thanks for taking your time, splendid opportunity, yada yada), tried to call them back a couple of times, only ever getting voice mail. ****.

Nobody's looking for a painter either. Applied for a couple of delivery jobs, both UPS, as well as a furniture store and a flower shop. Heard back from furniture store, eight ****ing bucks an hour. Oh well, I thought, it's a ****ing job and $8 more than I have now. Argh, guess what? It's not an actual delivery driver job either, noooooo, it's loading ****ing KING sized mattresses on the truck and have somebody else drive around. Also, you're supposed to lift a KING sized mattress all by yourself. So I walked away from that one this Monday after a few hours. Back still hurts today.

Craig's list? Yeah, that's pretty much worthless. Yesterday I stopped at a pottery factory and applied there too.

Am I just too impatient? Filed 485/130 in Jan, received EAD in March, AOS interview in April, GC in May, TX DL this week... still no job? Argh. I feel like shit. My poor wife :C

Rant over.
Best of luck with it all - it can be a 'mare - even when there is not a recession on. As it seems you have been finding out also - job hunting in the US is often a very ruthless affair, with never hearing back from people (oftentimes even after jumping through several hoops int he hiring process), and also with things not always being as they seem.

It is incredibly hard to stay positive, but if you can, it certainly helps!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725

It is incredibly hard to stay positive, but if you can, it certainly helps!
other wise, there's always beer
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
other wise, there's always beer
Beer costs moneys
Old Jun 12th 2009, 10:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Beer costs moneys
piss in a glass and think your drinking bud for free?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to beholdshazza777 is a splendid one to behold

Here in Killeen work is easy to find but it's only your basic shop work. One time i had a job in a supermarket, i stuck it for a few months until varicose veins set in due to me having to stand on my feet on an 8hour shift with only a 30 minute break {shock horror} and for minimum wage too! Still looking for something decent though "sigh"
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:28 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
piss in a glass and think your drinking bud for free?
Oh, you've been to the Coors brewery too?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:10 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza777
Here in Killeen work is easy to find but it's only your basic shop work. One time i had a job in a supermarket, i stuck it for a few months until varicose veins set in due to me having to stand on my feet on an 8hour shift with only a 30 minute break {shock horror} and for minimum wage too! Still looking for something decent though "sigh"
How about any of the positions on post, not just the GS, but the other ones?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:18 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Manc and Pat Hassler, Toon was for a bit, on the management side now I think though.
He manages the teams that Kar refers to - the ones who deliver the king sized mattresses, and in a pinch will drive or help haul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.