Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

anyone else have problems adjusting??

Wikiposts

anyone else have problems adjusting??

Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone else have problems adjusting??

Originally Posted by benjipie
Hi guys,

I'm a British citizen and I've been here (Corona, CA) since last June ('07) and i just cannot get use to living here. No matter what mindset i try to adopt, trying to maintain a positive outlook, i just cant adjust to the way of life over here....I don't understand why i cant just accept the way things are over here and just move on. I've lived abroad a few times, S. Korea for 2 years, Taiwan for 1 year, spent months backpacking all over South East Asia (had some pretty funky experiences) and adjustment has never been an issue, until i moved to California. It's the little things i can't get my head around, like, driving everywhere, the way people drive here (IMO is sooo bad), the pre-fab housing, shopping malls, California seems to be carpeted with malls and chain stores that add to a cultureless society ... It took ages (still going through the process) to get the visa to live and work here, but now I'm thinking was it all worth it?

Has anyone else had this problem adjusting or is it just me, or is it just California? How long did it take you guys do feel 'settled in'. Am i expecting to much? I'm not normally a complainer but as you can see I'm finding it pretty hard settling in here....

Cheers..
Sorry to read that you are having problems adjusting but in some cases it will pass, really depends on your outlook. Either you give it your 100% or you give in and go home or else where.

There are many places to live, if you are getting really depressed them maybe it is time for you to move on.

Eitherway, I hope you find the happiness you are looking for.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

Hi guys,

I'm a British citizen and I've been here (Corona, CA) since last June ('07) and i just cannot get use to living here. No matter what mindset i try to adopt, trying to maintain a positive outlook, i just cant adjust to the way of life over here....I don't understand why i cant just accept the way things are over here and just move on. I've lived abroad a few times, S. Korea for 2 years, Taiwan for 1 year, spent months backpacking all over South East Asia (had some pretty funky experiences) and adjustment has never been an issue, until i moved to California. It's the little things i can't get my head around, like, driving everywhere, the way people drive here (IMO is sooo bad), the pre-fab housing, shopping malls, California seems to be carpeted with malls and chain stores that add to a cultureless society ... It took ages (still going through the process) to get the visa to live and work here, but now I'm thinking was it all worth it?

Has anyone else had this problem adjusting or is it just me, or is it just California? How long did it take you guys do feel 'settled in'. Am i expecting to much? I'm not normally a complainer but as you can see I'm finding it pretty hard settling in here....

Cheers..
Benjpie,

Hi. I grew up in North Carolina and wouldn't live in California, the southern part at least, for all the money in the world.

I'm sorry you're unhappy. I lived in Oregon one year and thought I'd died and gone to he@@. It's a different kind of culture, I suppose on the west coast.

I live in Indiana now and love it.

Hope you get it resolved and find a place you love soon.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:11 am
Just Joined

lucylove is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to California in 1999, and HATED it for the first two or three years. I moved here from Cornwall, so it was a massive culture shock, and I felt all the things you are feeling now. It felt plastic and soul-less somehow. I still feel that sometimes, but I have also made it my home, so I can see the beauty in it as well. There are plenty of Californians who aren't plastic and fake and stuffed with cotton wool (that was the mental image I had when I moved here- cut into a Californian (not ACTUALLY cut, I am not a sadist ) and you would find cotton wool, not blood!) I have some great friends here now, some who are British, but many who are American.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 5:45 am
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

Benjipe

I know exactly how you feel. I moved to San Antonio TX after living in Durham for 3 years. Immigration was so difficult and now im living here thinking- was this worth all the heartache and money??? Half the time when i wake up in the morning i feel like ive woken up in some kind of hell hole.

Regarding the majority of the advice for moving to somewhere you feel more comfortable- we are definitely planning on it ( my american husband hates it here too- in fact he would much prefer to live in England) when we have enough money. I was thinking San Fran, so hearing others talking about it is encouraging
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weazie
Benjipe

I know exactly how you feel. I moved to San Antonio TX after living in Durham for 3 years. Immigration was so difficult and now im living here thinking- was this worth all the heartache and money??? Half the time when i wake up in the morning i feel like ive woken up in some kind of hell hole.

Regarding the majority of the advice for moving to somewhere you feel more comfortable- we are definitely planning on it ( my american husband hates it here too- in fact he would much prefer to live in England) when we have enough money. I was thinking San Fran, so hearing others talking about it is encouraging
I moved to San Francisco 24 years ago, after 6 wonderful years in London (before that, 18 uneventul years in the dreary Northwest of England!). I've loved virtually every minute of it, and I wake up every day happy to be here. As part of my job I've travelled around the US extensively, and also taken extensive road trips for vacations, and I have yet to find a place that comes close to San Francisco in terms of the atmosphere, the people, the attitude, etc. I've enjoyed the 'big city' excitement of New York and Chicago; the sheer beauty of Santa Fe; the wonder of Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon; the beauty and weather of San Diego; the desert beauty of Tucson; but nothing comes close to San Francisco in terms of a place to live, to return to, to feel comfortable in.

If I can be of any assitance, let me know (send me a PM) - I can give you plenty of advice about where to live, what the options are, etc.

When I first came to the US, I stated in Peoria, Illinois. I knew there was something about the work ethic and the optimism of the people that was 'right' for me, but Peoria did not exactly float by boat. I told people there I was going to California to look for a job, and they all told me I was nuts; "it's too expensive"; "full of weirdo's"; etc. I came anyway (in '83). When I got to SF, many people told me I was crazy to buy property there, but (after a couple of years of very hard work) I scraped together the $10k deposit on a $100k condo and never looked back. My point is, if you want to make it happen, you can do it. Don't listen to people who say it's not possible. At least, keep an open mind! I came here with zero money and no friends, and have a wonderful existence here. I wouldn't trade it for anywhere in the world.

Good Luck!
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 8:14 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I moved to San Francisco 24 years ago, after 6 wonderful years in London (before that, 18 uneventul years in the dreary Northwest of England!). I've loved virtually every minute of it, and I wake up every day happy to be here. As part of my job I've travelled around the US extensively, and also taken extensive road trips for vacations, and I have yet to find a place that comes close to San Francisco in terms of the atmosphere, the people, the attitude, etc. I've enjoyed the 'big city' excitement of New York and Chicago; the sheer beauty of Santa Fe; the wonder of Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon; the beauty and weather of San Diego; the desert beauty of Tucson; but nothing comes close to San Francisco in terms of a place to live, to return to, to feel comfortable in.

If I can be of any assitance, let me know (send me a PM) - I can give you plenty of advice about where to live, what the options are, etc.

When I first came to the US, I stated in Peoria, Illinois. I knew there was something about the work ethic and the optimism of the people that was 'right' for me, but Peoria did not exactly float by boat. I told people there I was going to California to look for a job, and they all told me I was nuts; "it's too expensive"; "full of weirdo's"; etc. I came anyway (in '83). When I got to SF, many people told me I was crazy to buy property there, but (after a couple of years of very hard work) I scraped together the $10k deposit on a $100k condo and never looked back. My point is, if you want to make it happen, you can do it. Don't listen to people who say it's not possible. At least, keep an open mind! I came here with zero money and no friends, and have a wonderful existence here. I wouldn't trade it for anywhere in the world.

Good Luck!

I started here in Bloomington Il no wonder we love Cali no comparison
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 3:08 am
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

Good Luck!
Thanks for the encouragment
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck!
You are so so so true with your comments.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
You are so so so true with your comments.
I agree.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi guys,

Cheers..
I strongly suggest you watch the movie the "pursuit of happyness"
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:52 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably like Milton Keynes.
One key difference -- you won't find roundabouts in Corona.

Otherwise, sure. Faceless suburbia, designed around the car and the dream of tract homeownership. Unless you want to cocoon with the better half and the 2.2 children, not an optimal living environment. If you're a swingle, it's probably two steps removed from hell on earth.

The first question is why you chose Corona, of all places. If you can choose differently, I'd do so. (If you're tied to a job, then you may have to trade off a better locale for a longer commute. Try to plan the commute carefully, as traffic can and probably should affect your choice of residence.) If you insist on having brick buildings and can't accept the notion of stucco and parking lots, then you should probably leave California altogether. But assuming you just want a walkable neighborhood with a decent local bar, then you need to escape the manufactured suburbs of exurban LA, and find something closer in. Perhaps Claremont or Pasadena might work for you.

I'm American, by the way, yet I have empathy for your dislike of the Inland Empire. (They got it half-right -- it's inland, to be sure, but far from imperial.) It would be disingenuous to pretend that Corona-style suburbs are the exception, when they are often the rule. But there are exceptions, and you should look for them.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 9:36 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Sorry to read that you are having problems adjusting but in some cases it will pass, really depends on your outlook. Either you give it your 100% or you give in and go home or else where.
There are many places to live, if you are getting really depressed them maybe it is time for you to move on.
Eitherway, I hope you find the happiness you are looking for.
There is the expression which goes a bit like: "You cannot set sail when your eyes are on the shore".
You can, indeed, take your eyes off the shore, give it 100% and then come to a totally different conclusion.

There really should be books written about this stuff and handed out on planes.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Yes.
Old Dec 25th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

[QUOTE=RoadWarriorFromLP;5700497]One key difference -- you won't find roundabouts in Corona.

We have lots of roundabouts in Carmel.

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 25th 2007, 1:09 pm

:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rushman
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.