Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Old Dec 23rd 2014, 1:23 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of local range...what's the going rate?

There's a new one opening up nearby, but it's $400 initiation fee and then $200 a year membership for the basic one. You get storage space and the like for a bit more.

Seemed a little excessive. There's a guest fee if you're with a member to shoot.
Range fee is $16 a session for non members. You have to use their non lead ammo. $12 to rent a firearm and $1 a paper target.

Membership is $199, but not required. It's a Public Safety Range run by the Sheriff's Dept.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 1:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody here have family that will refuse to visit US due to gun fears?

Originally Posted by Michael
You are so full of BS. I lived most of my life in the US and I never thought of ever getting shot. ......
Likewise. I have lived here 13 years and, despite knowing two people to speak to (not close personal friends) who have been killed and two people convicted of homicide, knowing both much better than the two victims, I have never been overly concerned about being shot, or otherwise murdered.

One of the killers I knew clubbed one of the victims I knew so brutally about the head with a 2x4 that he was unrecognizable, reportedly for the victim's three-figure pay packet. The other killed his victims (who I did not know) for no discernible reason other than mental illness. So being shot doesn't even seem to be the greatest risk I might have been exposed to. The other victim I knew was shot, reportedly over an unpaid debt.

I can only think of one acquaintance I knew to talk to who was murdered in the UK, the park keeper of the park near my parents' house was brutally stabbed, by a mentally ill relative of his IIRC. Also casual college friend was killed in Ukraine, allegedly by some sort of organised crime gang, though I don't believe the case was ever solved.

I seem to have been close to a lot of killings.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 23rd 2014 at 2:41 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:04 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornelius Suttree
My aunt/uncle/a few cousins will not come to America because they are convinced they will be a victim of a mass shooting. Anybody else here have relatives/close friends that will not visit America because they are terrified of being a victim of a gun crime?
Sounds like your relatives are making an excuse not to visit.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornelius Suttree
My aunt/uncle/a few cousins will not come to America...
That just sounds like BS too, anyway...

He's just a kid trying to get an animated discussion going...if you check his past posts you'll see a pattern.

Last edited by Hotscot; Dec 23rd 2014 at 2:16 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Range fee is $16 a session for non members. You have to use their non lead ammo. $12 to rent a firearm and $1 a paper target.

Membership is $199, but not required. It's a Public Safety Range run by the Sheriff's Dept.
That's not to bad...targets sound a bit stingy mind...but I'd do that, to cross off a Magnum and a Dessert Eagle off my US bucket list.

Though the range in town is members only to shoot, though you can be a guest for the archery...don't need to be a member to go to the bar above the range mind

Was hoping that this new place might have been cheaper to check out as I don't know any members.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:47 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That's not to bad...targets sound a bit stingy mind...but I'd do that, to cross off a Magnum and a Dessert Eagle off my US bucket list.

Though the range in town is members only to shoot, though you can be a guest for the archery...don't need to be a member to go to the bar above the range mind

Was hoping that this new place might have been cheaper to check out as I don't know any members.
$1 for a paper target? Probably last you (me) an hour or two
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
$1 for a paper target? Probably last you (me) an hour or two
They were 10 for a buck when I was browsing around the local sports store the other day...bit of a mark up....
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:13 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They were 10 for a buck when I was browsing around the local sports store the other day...bit of a mark up....
you can take your own tagets if you want to, don't have to buy theirs.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Likewise. I have lived here 13 years and, despite knowing two people to speak to (not close personal friends) who have been killed and two people convicted of homicide, knowing both much better than the two victims, I have never been overly concerned about being shot, or otherwise murdered.

One of the killers I knew clubbed one of the victims I knew so brutally about the head with a 2x4 that he was unrecognizable, reportedly for the victim's three-figure pay packet. The other killed his victims (who I did not know) for no discernible reason other than mental illness. So being shot doesn't even seem to be the greatest risk I might have been exposed to. The other victim I knew was shot, reportedly over an unpaid debt.

I can only think of one acquaintance I knew to talk to who was murdered in the UK, the park keeper of the park near my parents' house was brutally stabbed, by a mentally ill relative of his IIRC. Also casual college friend was killed in Ukraine, allegedly by some sort of organised crime gang, though I don't believe the case was ever solved.

I seem to have been close to a lot of killings.
I also don't go to the gang areas late at night, hang around with drug addicts, or go to crack houses.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I also don't go to the gang areas late at night, hang around with drug addicts, or go to crack houses. .....
Me neither. Maybe I'm unlucky to know so many victims, .... or lucky not to be one.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 1:37 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of local range...what's the going rate?

There's a new one opening up nearby, but it's $400 initiation fee and then $200 a year membership for the basic one. You get storage space and the like for a bit more.

Seemed a little excessive. There's a guest fee if you're with a member to shoot.
Here in Texas we love our guns, and shooting is cheap

My outdoor range charges $90 a year, $40 for guests, and a $100 initiation fee. They have regular targets and metal targets, a skeet area, and rifle range. You get a key to the facility, and can visit when you want.
http://www.parkersportsman.com/membership.htm

An hour at one of the many indoor ranges runs from $10 to $20 per hour on average.
In my county, as long as you are on 10 acres or more, as I am, you can shoot on your own property. Noise carries in the country, so I choose not to interrupt the piece of my neighbors with my shooting. I only shoot at the outdoor range, or with work colleagues at an indoor range. Unless of course I'm killing a snake, kyote, or other unwanted predator.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

johnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond reputejohnnybrown532 has a reputation beyond repute

OMFG! There is more chance of winning the powerball then there is of being victim of a mass shooting or any shooting. Television gives you the myth that everyone carries a gun when most people. Don't contrary to popular belief it is very hard to actually carry a gun around with you need the permit for concealed weapon which is virtually impossible to get in places like new york and chicago unless you need it for a job.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RICH
Sounds like your relatives are making an excuse not to visit.

The obvious answer, wonder why.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lansbury
you can take your own tagets if you want to, don't have to buy theirs.
The new one that's opening said that guests couldn't bring their own and that targets were included on one of the membership tiers. The one in town that doesn't accept guests, I wouldn't have a clue.
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532
OMFG! There is more chance of winning the powerball then there is of being victim of a mass shooting or any shooting. Television gives you the myth that everyone carries a gun when most people. Don't contrary to popular belief it is very hard to actually carry a gun around with you need the permit for concealed weapon which is virtually impossible to get .....
Obviously many mass shootings have been avoided when the would-be shooters realized that they didn't have the requisite permit to carry their weapons to the location of their intended massacres.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.